Mobius mounting solutions

That's the problem with this approach for a Mobius. I prefer smaller more discreet mounts to match that quality of the camera itself.

I think to do it right generally requires some DIY, had they had made something that fit what people are looking for they probably would have sold thousands of them already

I do like the GoPro mount styles. They're nearly a standard by now, and you can get some pretty slim stuff on it. I thought I had a GoPro mount on mine at one point (3D printed maybe? OEM?) but definitely a VERY compact way to do in/out. I would just grab a new holding cradle if you want to use the camera elsewhere in addition to your car. Saves on constant adjustments for proper dash cam use.

I think to do it right generally requires some DIY, had they had made something that fit what people are looking for they probably would have sold thousands of them already

Funny you should mention. Recently, when temporarily removing the smallest of my DIY mounts that I made for one of my Mobi I managed to break it and had to make do with something else commercial and much bigger for a while. Just yesterday, I got it repaired and reinstalled and I was like "This is why I built this thing! I need to make more!" I wish I could order them made for me in China, I bet they'd sell well.

diy_mount.jpg

Funny you should mention. Recently, when temporarily removing the smallest of my DIY mounts that I made for one of my Mobi I managed to break it and had to make do with something else commercial and much bigger for a while. Just yesterday, I got it repaired and reinstalled and I was like "This is why I built this thing!" I need to make more! I wish I could order them made for me in China, I bet they'd sell well.

View attachment 41185

yeah this is the type of mount they should have had, they would have sold plenty I'm sure

yeah this is the type of mount they should have had, they would have sold plenty I'm sure

FWIW, the base of my DIY mount is a steel washer so it can be mounted magnetically, camera and all. I put this out there in case anyone else wants to work with the idea.

Funny you should mention. Recently, when temporarily removing the smallest of my DIY mounts that I made for one of my Mobi I managed to break it and had to make do with something else commercial and much bigger for a while. Just yesterday, I got it repaired and reinstalled and I was like "This is why I built this thing! I need to make more!" I wish I could order them made for me in China, I bet they'd sell well.

View attachment 41185

Here is a low profile mount for a garmin. If you cut off the protruding end and thread a 1/4" rod into the ball itself this would be very low and discrete for $8.85 plus a 1/4" bolt and some time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172955985144
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331819592117
Except for being even pricier at $15 (or more) once modified by inserting a 1/4" rod into the ball this mount is just about as low as dashmallows custom piece.
Transcend Adhesive Mount for Transcend DrivePro Dash Cam Series

s-l1600.jpg

Here is a low profile mount for a garmin. If you cut off the protruding end and thread a 1/4" rod into the ball itself this would be very low and discrete for $8.85 plus a 1/4" bolt and some time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172955985144
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331819592117
Except for being even pricier at $15 (or more) once modified by inserting a 1/4" rod into the ball this mount is just about as low as dashmallows custom piece.
Transcend Adhesive Mount for Transcend DrivePro Dash Cam Series

s-l1600.jpg

Those look kind of interesting. Not sure those were available when I made my DIY mounts two years ago. But what's your point? It would just be another DIY project similar to what I created.

I have an idea, why don't you buy one or both of those and show us your handiwork? You can mount your Maxi with it. ;) Might be cool!

Last edited:
That looks interesting. From my experience with my DIY mount above it seems perhaps a little tall and also there's a chance the small base plate may not have enough adhesive area for reliable stability and security in the long run (for a dash cam). Looking forward to your report after you get to test them.

Yes, was being sold as a combo pack with a suction cup mount. Asked Bill if I could buy it separately and received a link the next day. Best part is that it won't take up much space on the dotted area.

If it can handle a GIT1/GIT2/GIT2P, I think a Mobius should do just fine.

Yes, was being sold as a combo pack with a suction cup mount. Asked Bill if I could buy it separately and received a link the next day. Best part is that it won't take up much space on the dotted area.

If it can handle a GIT1/GIT2/GIT2P, I think a Mobius should do just fine.

There are several types of VHB tape available, some with greater holding power. If this doesn't hold well enough maybe there's a stronger 3M tape you could obtain? Another alternative might be to epoxy this mount to a big washer as a base where you would have extra real estate for tape.

There are several types of VHB tape available, some with greater holding power. If this doesn't hold well enough maybe there's a stronger 3M tape you could obtain? Another alternative might be to epoxy this mount to a big washer as a base where you would have extra real estate for tape.

My roll of 5952 is about to finish, plan on getting 4941 this time.

the JVC MTFM001 is another similar type that might suit

MTFM001-1.jpg

the JVC MTFM001 is another similar type that might suit

View attachment 41374

These mounts look quite like the DIY one I came up with but with a longer stalk. Two years ago when I searched extensively I couldn't find anything like these.

One nice "feature" of the DIY version is the ability to use different length stalks depending on where and how you want to use the mount. Longer stalks allow for greater angles of adjustment. Short stalks make for a lower profile mount if you don't need too much of an angle. From my experience with that, the one on the upper left here seems too long in that the extra length doesn't really accomplish much of anything in terms of how much of an angle you can tilt the camera since you are limited by the ball in the socket.

Last edited:
These mounts look quite like the DIY one I came up with but with a longer stalk. Two years ago when I searched extensively I couldn't find anything like these.

One nice "feature" of the DIY version is the ability to use different length stalks depending on where and how you want to use the mount. Longer stalks allow for greater angles of adjustment. Short stalks make for a lower profile mount if you don't need too much of an angle. From my experience with that, the one on the upper left here seems too long in that the extra length doesn't really accomplish much of anything in terms of how much of an angle you can tilt the camera since you are limited by the ball in the socket.

yes similar to your DIY one, an angled stalk would probably be more useful for our needs where it is being mounted to a window, not something they would have had in mind I guess for these which probably ended up stuck to helmets or whatever

yes similar to your DIY one, an angled stalk would probably be more useful for our needs where it is being mounted to a window, not something they would have had in mind I guess for these which probably ended up stuck to helmets or whatever

With my DIY experiments even a modestly longer stalk works fine for most windshield rakes for a front mounted dash cam and a longer stalk won't improve things. The short stalk works great for a super low profile side cam mount where the camera is "ceiling" mounted in the rear fixed window frame of my pick-up. I did a fair amount of experimentation with threaded stalk lengths as I was simply using 1/4-20 threaded hex headed bolts from the hardware store.

nano.jpg

Last edited:
Back