F-770 firmware upgrade failed

fred4405

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a message in the middle of my firmware upgrade that the upgrade failed. It seems that the unit then turned off, and now will not turn back on. Am I now just stuck with an expensive window decoration? I have tried using the Reset button on the side with no success to get it to turn back on.

IF the unit is under warranty i would expect this to be covered, if it is out of warranty then unless you can find a distributor that has the Flashing Jig & Cables you are a bit stuck. We have one but the problem is the distance between us!

IF the unit is under warranty i would expect this to be covered, if it is out of warranty then unless you can find a distributor that has the Flashing Jig & Cables you are a bit stuck. We have one but the problem is the distance between us!

I contacted the vendor I purchased it through, they want $120US to fix it. I think that is a bit expensive, when all it needs is to be plugged in and re-flashed. For an extra $150 I could buy a new unit. How much would you charge? I understand I would have to pay shipping but my ways, not sure how much that would be.

I wouldn't charge for the reflash, just the return carraige. If you can message me your address i can get a return quote. Our address is

Chameleon Codewing Ltd
17-19 Smeaton Close
Colchester
Essex
CO4 9QY
United Kingdom

If you want to get a quote for sending it to us......

I contacted the vendor I purchased it through, they want $120US to fix it. I think that is a bit expensive, when all it needs is to be plugged in and re-flashed. For an extra $150 I could buy a new unit. How much would you charge? I understand I would have to pay shipping but my ways, not sure how much that would be.

Hi Fred, welcome to DCT. If you don't mind my asking, who was the vendor you purchased from that wants $120.00 to fix? I want to put him in my data base of people NOT to deal with!

Hi Fred, welcome to DCT. If you don't mind my asking, who was the vendor you purchased from that wants $120.00 to fix? I want to put him in my data base of people NOT to deal with!

blackboxmycar.com is who I purchased it from. I do realize my warranty is out, but when a software update breaks the unit, the manufacturer should at least offer to fix the problem, especially when there is documentation in several places warning that what happened to me is happening. The manufacturer would not even offer to repair it at a cost, and has refused to answer any further correspondents from me. So I contacted the retailer, and this is what i got back from them.

Hello Fred,

I am sorry to hear that, definitely something we don't want our customers to experience.

Being our customer we can offer repair services for this but it could take up to 2-4 weeks and we charge a total of $120.00.

Please let me know if you wish to proceed.

blackboxmycar.com is who I purchased it from. I do realize my warranty is out, but when a software update breaks the unit, the manufacturer should at least offer to fix the problem, especially when there is documentation in several places warning that what happened to me is happening. The manufacturer would not even offer to repair it at a cost, and has refused to answer any further correspondents from me. So I contacted the retailer, and this is what i got back from them.

Hello Fred,

I am sorry to hear that, definitely something we don't want our customers to experience.

Being our customer we can offer repair services for this but it could take up to 2-4 weeks and we charge a total of $120.00.

Please let me know if you wish to proceed.

Fred that is totally ridiculous, this should give everyone who reads it some insight on what they can expect from blackboxmycar.com and Thinkware. At least you found DCT and can now find decent cameras with a lot better service. Just because some manufactures offer cameras with lots of nice options on them and a HIGH price tag does not mean the nice options work, or the dealers are honest people!
It seems you have found this out the hard way!
Spend some time here on DCT, read the appropriate camera threads and ask questions before you purchase another camera.
Hopefully others will add to your post with more experience then I have and be able to help with flashing the firmware to your camera.

Forgot to tell you, at the very bottom of this page you will see postings from others that had the same problem you have, clicking on them will take you to the complete conversation they had.

Last edited:
Fred that is totally ridiculous, this should give everyone who reads it some insight on what they can expect from blackboxmycar.com and Thinkware. At least you found DCT and can now find decent cameras with a lot better service. Just because some manufactures offer cameras with lots of nice options on them and a HIGH price tag does not mean the nice options work, or the dealers are honest people!
It seems you have found this out the hard way!
Spend some time here on DCT, read the appropriate camera threads and ask questions before you purchase another camera.
Hopefully others will add to your post with more experience then I have and be able to help with flashing the firmware to your camera.

I am, well was very happy with the camera, it performs very well, same with the retailer, I did not find anything negative about them. I just never would expect a company to refuse to fix something that their program broke, but I guess all these corporations worry about is taking our money, customer service is not important apparently.

I am, well was very happy with the camera, it performs very well, same with the retailer, I did not find anything negative about them. I just never would expect a company to refuse to fix something that their program broke, but I guess all these corporations worry about is taking our money, customer service is not important apparently.
Hello Fred,

Being a vendor, we actually don't have any software available on our database that can "un-brick" a device that won't power on anymore.
Therefore, we would send these units back to Thinkwares North American HQ for refurbishing as they have all the necessary tools to do this.

In your email, it looks like Thinkware North America decided not to give you that repair option at all since your camera was bricked and the length of time you are out of warranty.
Being our customer, we want to help out and provide a repair service to help get you a running unit quicker.

Normally, customers within warranty, replacements are free and we replace your defective unit with a brand new one.
However, since your unit is out of warranty, we would need to charge a repair fee as we are shipping this back to Thinkware as well.

If the price is something you're not comfortable with, please email us back and we'll do our best to find a resolution for you.

I hope that clears the air here.

I do not blame your company at all, I do think $120 is quite a lot of money to fix it. I am just pissed that the manufacturer's software which apparently has a history of bricking their units is refusing to take responsibility for it. I could understand if it was something I did wrong, but it wasn't. I spent close to $500 for this system, and fully expect it to last more than 2 years, and it would have if not for their faulty software. Never again will I purchase or recommend any Thinkware product. I will still purchase and recommend your company though, as long as the price is right for me.

Fred

Hi Fred,
We are sorry to hear about the firmware bricking your unit. We would like to make this situation right for you, please contact our customer support team at 1-844-865-9273 or by Email: support@thinkware.com
Kind Regards, Thinkware North America

Hi Fred,
We are sorry to hear about the firmware bricking your unit. We would like to make this situation right for you, please contact our customer support team at 1-844-865-9273 or by Email: support@thinkware.com
Kind Regards, Thinkware North America

I did contact your company via e-mail, and this is the response I got back. NOT a happy customer that is for sure... Are you now telling me there is something the company is willing to do to correct this problem?

------------YOUR TICKET NUMBER:180820-014-08- ------------

Hi Fred,
Thank you for contacting Thinkware Dash Cam.

Unfortunately due to length of time that you have been out of warranty we can not replace your unit, as we are unsure how the firmware bricked your camera. As after reading your email we have tested this at our office and the only way we could replicate the issue is a improper installation of the firmware such as cutting the internet mid download. Again we sincerely apologize for this happening to your camera

Please feel free to contact us again if you encounter any other issues.

Kind regards,

Customer Support

THINKWARE Dash Cam™ (North America)

Hi Fred, If you are out of our warranty period we do offer repair services in North America which are a small extra fee, we apologize for the support you have received and that you were not notified of our repair services. If you are indeed interested, please contact us.

Kind Regards, Thinkware Customer Support

Hi Fred, If you are out of our warranty period we do offer repair services in North America which are a small extra fee, we apologize for the support you have received and that you were not notified of our repair services. If you are indeed interested, please contact us.

Kind Regards, Thinkware Customer Support
Please tell me how much the repair service is? I had sent an e-mail asking if there is repair service available and how much it was, but the e-mail was never answered. Thank you. Fred

Hi Fred, Repair for a F770 is $80 USD. Kind Regards, Thinkware Customer Support

Can you send me the information as to how to get it to you, and how you would like payment to be made?
Hi Fred, All you need to do is send an email to support@thinkware.com and request a repair for your camera. We will then send you the address to ship the broken camera to.

How do I silent Thinkware F800PRO voice? And, Thinkware, could you explain how does your cloud service work when my car with the camera is park at my house, or parking garage when I am away on vacation with my cellphone??? Thanks,

How do I silent Thinkware F800PRO voice? And, Thinkware, could you explain how does your cloud service work when my car with the camera is park at my house, or parking garage when I am away on vacation with my cellphone??? Thanks,

It doesn't do parking notifications, as soon as the ignition goes off the camera drops the WiFi connection and goes into Parking mode (i think to save battery power).

Also regarding silencing it you can turn the volume to zero and that will stop most of it. If you are getting the 'connect your phone to a wifi network starting with Thinkware' every time you start you just need to pair the phone to the camera in hotspot mode once and it will stop saying that every start up.

Back