Mobius mounting solutions

Carefully applied heat renders most plastics bendable, so it shouldn't be a problem making a straight stalk into what you need. All you need is a candle which opens the door to those lacking tools to drill and glue with.

Phil

4910, not 4941, 4941 is grey.

I find grey 4941 to be enormously useful in certain applications. It forms a very strong bond but is much easier to remove cleanly from various surfaces. For example, I use it to hold my dash mat in place and when I recently had to remove the mat for my windshield replacement, the strips of grey VHB tape that had been there for well over a year peeled up in one piece leaving zero residue and left no trace that there had been any tape on my dashboard in the first place. I use it to hold my side cameras in place as well. My door frames happen to be almost the same grey color so it blends in well but the real attraction is that I can easily remove and replace the 4941 VHB far more easily than the black 5952.

Is that Gitup mount adjustable for camera angle? On the Gitup web site and here it looks almost as if it is fixed in a static position.

Is that Gitup mount adjustable for camera angle? On the Gitup web site and here it looks almost as if it is fixed in a static position.

Yes it's adjustable. The stalk has a slight tilt and the ball moves like with the mount on the left.

Yes it's adjustable. The stalk has a slight tilt and the ball moves like with the mount on the left.

Thanks! This seems like a nice little mount. And the base plate is bigger than I expected. I think I'll order one or two. For one thing, I'll be curious to see how the height compares with my DIY version.

Mounted the Mobius cameras using the Gitup mount.

Though extremely light, quality is decent. The Ball joint and tripod screw tighten up nicely, no vibrations with the Maxi or the 12mm. After a lot of wasted 3M tape, this is as close I can have them without the A119 coming into the Maxi's FOV. Had the Maxi higher up like the 12mm but the A119 obstructed the view. Not much of a difference in overall utilisation of the dotted area, what I like is the missing knob from the helmet mount that stuck out beyond the frit.

Taking about convenience, the helmet mount wins. For starters it's much sturdier once fully tightened, this one can still be adjusted forcefully. Also don't need to bother about horizontal aim and the camera can be removed and put back without affecting the aiming angle.

Mount1.png

Mount3.png

Last edited:
Mounted the Mobius cameras using the Gitup mount.

Though small and extremely light, quality is decent. The Ball joint and tripod screw tighten up nicely, no vibrations with the Maxi or the 12mm. After a lot of wasted 3M tape, this is as close I can have them without the A119 coming into the Maxi's FOV. Had the Maxi higher up like the 12mm but the A119 obstructed the view. Not much of a difference in overall utilisation of the dotted area, what I like is the missing knob from the helmet mount that stuck out beyond the frit.

Taking about convenience, the helmet mount wins. For starters it's much sturdier once fully tightened, this one can still be adjusted forcefully. Also don't need to bother about horizontal aim and the camera can be removed and put back without affecting the aiming angle.

View attachment 41658

View attachment 41660

Hi Harsh, before you changed to the Viofo mount's did you try putting "Lock Washers" at all screw points?

Hi Harsh, before you changed to the Viofo mount's did you try putting "Lock Washers" at all screw points?

Nothing wrong with the helmet mount, no vibrations, works fine. Just trying out a smaller profile mount.

I have three of those helmet mounts, but tend not to use them. I prefer a ball joint with complete freedom of alignment, although I agree it can become mis-aligned more easily, especially when moving cameras around.

I use a helmet mount for one of my side cams. It's kind of a pain and somewhat time consuming to attach and remove a Mobius with the mount close to the glass in the confined space in the "porthole" of my rear truck window. I only use it there because I rarely remove the camera and I can get away without much need to adjust for horizontal tilt. I may replace it with the small Gitup mount @Harsh recommended. I have one on the way.

I'll rephrase the question. In any mount you are using with the Varifocal lens that has exhibited movement have any of you tried using lock washers on the screws?

I've built my Mobius Maxi inside of my car's rain sensor & GPS cover. I never liked the look of a dashcam on my windscreen, and there was ample space available in the cover, so this is the result:

IMG_1657.JPGIMG_1658.JPG

image12.JPGimage11.JPGimage10.JPG

The lens itself sticks out slightly below the black coating on the windscreen - you can just about see it if you zoom in on the third picture.

The internals looks like so:

image5.JPGimage6.JPGimage7.JPG

What I have done is taken the main board out of its case and stuck it to a piece of plastic (G10) using some Sugru (mouldable silicone). I then stuck some 3M "Dual Lock" to the plastic and the cover so that I can remove it if required (there is nothing I need access to on the back of the PCB). I then soldered 3 buttons to the legs on the PCB and mounted them further up on the GPS cover. The capacitor conveniently fits in the indentation designed to surround the rear view mirror - this is also Dual Locked to the cover. The lens itself is is also kept in place with Sugru. The rectangular module with blue connector is my car's GPS antenna, that's Dual Locked on as well. Power is tapped from the dome lights by soldering onto the terminals, and the USB out is fed through the headlining.

image2.JPG

I got a large heatsink out of an old BT hub and cut it to size. Conveniently, the mounting holes for it were the perfect size for my 1mm optical fibre strand. I cut the heatsink so that the optical fibre hovers just above the 4 LEDs. I then drilled a hole just big enough to poke the other end of the fibre through. This allows me to see the status LEDs from inside the car - and it dims the light a little as well, bonus! It is the one thing about this "project" that actually worked surprisingly well. You can see the Maxi is in mode 2 in this picture pretty well on a sunny afternoon:

image13.JPG

Lastly you will see I cut a shape out of the top of the GPS cover. This was to place a SD card extender so I could access my files without taking the cover off. I'm still working on this at the moment.

The lens is aimed well and there is no vibration visible despite my harsh suspension (Fiesta ST). Reflections are not any better compared to a regular suction mount, even when so close to the glass - perhaps soon I'll try and make a CPL for it.

Very happy with the results so far. In hindsight, I wish I had searched a bit longer for smaller and more subtle buttons - rather than taking what I had lying around. I also wish I had a higher quality 12V -> 5V converter, as this one seems to mess with my DAB reception, but only if the wires run parallel with the DAB antenna. I've just stuffed them in opposite corners and this seems to solve the problem.

excellent work

@gitup

One on the left broke a week after I got them. Super glued it back together and it worked till I had to touch it again. Now the other one's also broken.

Very weak plastic used. Not been over tightening them...

@gitup

One on the left broke a week after I got them. Super glued it back together and it worked till I had to touch it again. Now the other one's also broken.

Very weak plastic used. Not been over tightening them...

View attachment 47343

The one I have has been holding up pretty well. Then again I don't mess with it too often since using it to install one of my side cams. I have it tightened pretty well though and so far no trouble.

I wonder if the plastic used to make the nut gets brittle over time?

Maybe some hot glue and a zip tie around the thumb nut will hold the thing together well enough until you come up with a new permanent solution?

The one I have has been holding up pretty well. Then again I don't mess with it too often since using it to install one of my side cams. I have it tightened pretty well though and so far no trouble.

I wonder if the plastic used to make the nut gets brittle over time?

Maybe some hot glue and a zip tie around the thumb nut will hold the thing together well enough until you come up with a new permanent solution?

Problem is it doesn't feel tight even after tightening it all the way, if that makes any sense. If you don't go a little over and above, attaching the USB cable or inserting the micro SD carefully also results in the camera moving. But going over and above snaps the tightening ring. At least that's what I think is happening.

Thanks for the tip on the zip ties but I'd prefer getting replacement/spare tightening rings and continue using these mounts. I like the size/footprint.

Problem is it doesn't feel tight even after tightening it all the way, if that makes any sense. If you don't go a little over and above, attaching the USB cable or inserting the micro SD carefully also results in the camera moving. But going over and above snaps the tightening ring. At least that's what I think is happening.

Thanks for the tip on the zip ties but I'd prefer getting replacement/spare tightening rings and continue using these mounts. I like the size/footprint.

Yeah, replacements make the most sense. It'll just take a while for them to arrive though. I know you are pretty creative so I'm sure you'll come up with an interim solution.

Back