Mobius Maxi Support Thread

wow thats a bigger magenta flash than the innovv C3 had.

wow thats a bigger magenta flash than the innovv C3 had.
It's the whole image. Shouldn't matter if user doesn't use auto rotate.
Starting to feel like users are paying full price and doing tests for the manufacturer...

Oui.
But it is more or less the same with any brand.

Starting to feel like users are paying full price and doing tests for the manufacturer...

Anyone who's spent any time on this site knows that this is a large part of how the dash cam industry works. Camera buyers are de facto beta testers of both hardware and firmware. Thousands of dollars worth of cameras are distributed to forum members for "review" which are actually de facto sales promotions, including sales links (which the vendors and manufacturers themselves are not permitted to post in the open forum).

Mobius takes it to the extreme in that they have ZERO public presence ANYWHERE and rely entirely upon private individuals to interface with the public on their behalf, introducing new cameras to buyers, handling support issues and troubleshooting on online forums, beta testing and even sales promotions.

It is quite common for even well known manufacturers to release dash cams that have major and minor flaws with hardware and firmware such as focus issues, hot pixels, rattling or buzzing noises, sensor flaws, power supply problems, bad capacitors, etc., etc., that buyers must then contend with. A few manufactures stand behind their products when problems arise but many leave their customers holding the bag.

I can't think of another category of electronic product, gadget or camera I've ever purchased where flaws and problems are as prevalent as they are in dash cams and where the buyer counts himself lucky if the product that arrives in the mail truly performs as advertised and continues to do so without glitches or failures. I can't think of another category of product I use on a daily basis where part of the process of using the device is ongoing vigilance checking to make sure the product is indeed functioning as it is supposed to.

I can't think of another industry that operates quite the way the dash cam industry does.

Last edited:
It's the whole image. Shouldn't matter if user doesn't use auto rotate.

Yep, so very true. But there are some manufacturers who listen, learn, and develop their product while most do nothing or nearly nothing instead. Mobius and Street Guardian have a long history of doing well with this generally, and Viofo and BlueSkySea have followed suit in recent times. I'd rather have one of these than something from someone who does nothing for you. If Mobius will develop the Maxi to the degree it did with the M1, it will be one of the best dashcams you can buy for a long time to come.

Phil

I didn't know Mobius was supposed to develop/fix problems with the Mobius 1, I thought that job was handed off to DCT and dashmellow, Wow, the things one hears on DCT!

Well he certainly did a lot with that, but Mobius have always been reticent in allowing anyone into the deeper parts of it's doings save for the Tom Franks and Isoprop's of the world and I'm not certain that even they are allowed into the sacred inner circle but their voices do get heard there.

As is being seen here on DCT of late regards the A119/s and Novatek processors in general, there is a growing movement of very knowledgeable people who only wish to make their cams better. They are not trying to compete in the marketplace or even steal someone else's glory. They just want the best from their cams and are glad to share freely. Smart camera manufacturers listen to what those folks are saying and doing, and they get free development rapidly from them. Mobius apparently used to be that way but I'm not so sure anymore. It is going to happen with the Maxi and every other decent cam eventually anyway so it's rather stupid to fight it.

Listen to those who are trying to help you and work with them to let them do that even better. They want you to succeed as much as you do, and the more minds you have working on things, the better the possible results can become.

Phil

Hello all! Just received my Mobius Maxi, which is also my first dash cam. Intended use is dash / bike cam. Any suggested settings for someone new to this world? Thank you.

Hello all! Just received my Mobius Maxi, which is also my first dash cam. Intended use is dash / bike cam. Any suggested settings for someone new to this world? Thank you.
Did you buy the maxi with a battery or with a capacitor?

I bought the capacitor version. (My bike is electric and actually has a USB port to keep it on.)

Anyone who's spent any time on this site knows that this is a large part of how the dash cam industry works. Camera buyers are de facto beta testers of both hardware and firmware. Thousands of dollars worth of cameras are distributed to forum members for "review" which are actually de facto sales promotions, including sales links (which the vendors and manufacturers themselves are not permitted to post in the open forum).

Mobius takes it to the extreme in that they have ZERO public presence ANYWHERE and rely entirely upon private individuals to interface with the public on their behalf, introducing new cameras to buyers, handling support issues and troubleshooting on online forums, beta testing and even sales promotions.

It is quite common for even well known manufacturers to release dash cams that have major and minor flaws with hardware and firmware such as focus issues, hot pixels, rattling or buzzing noises, sensor flaws, power supply problems, bad capacitors, etc., etc., that buyers must then contend with. A few manufactures stand behind their products when problems arise but many leave their customers holding the bag.

I can't think of another category of electronic product, gadget or camera I've ever purchased where flaws and problems are as prevalent as they are in dash cams and where the buyer counts himself lucky if the product that arrives in the mail truly performs as advertised and continues to do so without glitches or failures. I can't think of another category of product I use on a daily basis where part of the process of using the device is ongoing vigilance checking to make sure the product is indeed functioning as it is supposed to.

I can't think of another industry that operates quite the way the dash cam industry does.

It would be impossible that at those prices you buy also support and the rest. Mobius started with 808 Style camera...I always keel in mind chuck lohr's statement
"Expect the reliability of a toy, not the reliability of a name-brand camera. Many 808 versions are designed to work at a low price, but are not designed to be robust or easy to use."
It's a testament to the industry.
Garmin and others got (timidly) in and got out....

Best thing to do is have a browse through mSetup first and pick and choose the features you want. For a dashcam I would at least set it to start recording when power on and change the power off setting to "immediate" given you have the capacitor version (it won't last long on capacitor power, just enough to safely save and shut down).

As far as video settings go, I personally have mode 1 as 1080p60 and mode 2 as 2.7k30, which is the native resolution. For quality (bitrate), I would go for the second highest setting. It depends on your SD card really - some cards don't work well with the highest setting and smaller capacity (<32GB) cards might fill up too quickly for your liking.

As far as colour/exposure/etc. settings go, I would leave everything default unless you actually have a problem with the video quality.

Enjoy!

Welcome to DCT.

Typically you will have the camera mounted upside-down in the car, so I would suggest setting Rotate Image to Inverted. But if you will also be mounting the camera with the buttons facing upwards on your bike, then perhaps Auto is better for you. There may be a short section at the start of each car recording with upside-down video before orientation sensor kicks in.

I would set loop recording ON, usually 1 or 3 minute clip length. Then go back to the Misc tab and enable the gravity sensor.

Image stabiliser should be OFF.

As suggested by tempviewer12, I would leave the advanced settings at default for now. 1080p60 is a good place to start.

FYI in case anyone cares, I managed to fix my Maxi by soldering a new SD card slot on. Didn't work straight after soldering it on but when connected to a PC (rather than phone charger) it sprung back to life again.

Not sure if this information is of use to anyone but just in case, one of the compatible SD card slots is Atom MR01A-01211 or something similar to the specs as attached:

HTB1yFPvJFXXXXcXXFXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg

I bought the capacitor version. (My bike is electric and actually has a USB port to keep it on.)

For a bike I would consider getting a handlebar mount like one of these 2 options. Being aluminum it should take some abuse unlike a plastic mount that is more likely to get cracked and fall apart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272707536822
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162817146655
Either mount above is only half of the solution. It grabs onto your handlebars (if your handlebars are the right size for the mount) but you need another part to use the mount with a mobius maxi.
These look to be the correct parts. I am not sure if the 1/4" x 20 rod or the locking bolt is included or if you will have to buy another part and a bolt to cut down to size. I am sure a seller can tell you.
Aluminum costs a little more but should not break like plastic.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283117997962
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192601742128
You could buy this plastic part. After it breaks you could move the threaded part to the aluminum parts shown above.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322960758517

It would be impossible that at those prices you buy also support and the rest. Mobius started with 808 Style camera...I always keel in mind chuck lohr's statement
"Expect the reliability of a toy, not the reliability of a name-brand camera. Many 808 versions are designed to work at a low price, but are not designed to be robust or easy to use."
It's a testament to the industry.

I don't understand the logic of your post or why you compare 808 cameras to the dash cam industry. Your quote from Chuck Lohr was first posted specifically in regard to the 808 series of key chain cameras in October 2011 some two years before the Mobius camera came into existence. With rare exception the 808 cameras were indeed basically nothing more than toys. Lohr explains that they were slapped together with sub standard quality components and poor build quality. With the leap to the Mobius the company made the transition to a name brand product with outstanding reliability and build quality. They are now a respected brand who has grossed millions of dollars in sales.

I don't see what any of this has to do with the fact that Mobius operates entirely behind the curtain recruiting private individuals as their public representatives. Unlike many dash cam companies with similar sales numbers they have no web site that features their products and information or provides a company sponsored source of firmware downloads and warranty information and no company representative with a presence on this or any other forum like other dash cam manufacturers.

I also don't see what the pricing has to do dash cam companies and vendors handing out thousands and thousands of dollars worth of free cameras for "review" to promote sales. Other companies simply spend their money on actual advertising.

I don't see what any of this has to do with the fact that poor reliability has in general been a fact of life for anyone buying virtually any dash cam with only a few exceptions.

As for reliability and quality compared to dash cams I think of the CCTV camera industry. You can buy a really excellent performing vandal resistant CCTV camera that is bulletproof reliable running 24/7 for years on end in all sorts of weather conditions and temperature extremes with no focus shifts or failures of any kind for less than the cost of an average dash cam. A year ago I replaced two seven year old CCTV cameras with new ones that perform far better than the older ones because of their newer technology. They are made with precision cast aluminum housings with rigid internal metal chassis and heat sinks, high quality zoom lenses and modern Sony sensors and DSPs. They have been 100% reliable. The amazing thing is that they cost only $36.00 each, a fraction of what a similar camera would cost several years ago and far less than a decent dash camera, even a budget model. At it's heart, CCTV cameras are differently configured dash cam technology inside a weatherproof ridgid aluminum housing. CCTV cameras are built more like tanks vs dash cams that are built like Game Boys. (a PCB screen (and lens) inside a two part plastic shell) CCTV cams are not marketed like dash cams.

Last edited:
I don't understand the logic of your post or why you compare 808 cameras to the dash cam industry. Your quote from Chuck Lohr was first posted specifically in regard to the 808 series of key chain cameras in October 2011 some two years before the Mobius camera came into existence. With rare exception the 808 cameras were indeed basically nothing more than toys. Lohr explains that they were slapped together with sub standard quality components and poor build quality. With the leap to the Mobius the company made the transition to a name brand product with outstanding reliability and build quality. They are now a respected brand who has grossed millions of dollars in sales.

I don't see what any of this has to do with the fact that Mobius operates entirely behind the curtain recruiting private individuals as their public representatives. Unlike many dash cam companies with similar sales numbers they have no web site that features their products and information or provides a company sponsored source of firmware downloads and warranty information and no company representative with a presence on this or any other forum like other dash cam manufacturers.

I will keep it short not to bother with too much OT.
- as I wrote, major mfg got out (see garmin and others): WHY?
- which means there is NO margin in that market, and no future too as soon as car mfg will install dashcamera as OEM, it will be wiped out.
- 808 example serve to show how the business model started out (support came from users more than mfg), why after mobius success should they change?
- "millions of sales"(?) doesn't mean profits, which doesn't translate into investment in support and such, when I got my mobius I had also a gopro: compare price/quality of support (also not that great on the latter)
- cctv cameras have a totally different history, they came from expensive and with SECURITY in mind and then trickld down on price.
- if all your consideration prevails, I am starting to wonder why such a big market opportunity (lack of support, lack of quality) is not being exploited by anybody
Where is this big untapped market for reliable Dashcam?

On the other hand, I see the OPPOSITE is happening, VIOFO is letting private individuals semi-officially "hacking" (not really but you got the meaning) -and "improving" their products.
And I think that's great news....

Don't want to go off topic, but where did you hear that Garmin is leaving the market? Nothing on their webpage, these forums, or Google about that.

Phil

Don't want to go off topic, but where did you hear that Garmin is leaving the market? Nothing on their webpage, these forums, or Google about that.

Phil

I was thinking the same thing and was going to ask the same question. Garmin has even introduced some new models recently including an Alexa/Dashcam hybrid called the Garmin Speak Plus.

Phil

Fair, whay I meant they are not pushing dashcam aggressively.

Back