Time for a new video editor ?

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
My video editor seems a little dated , producing heavy video's .. ( Data Heavy or Fat )
So time to play ...

Downloaded :
Avidemux
Blender
Filmora
Open Shot
Shotcut

Did not download :
Davinci Resolve
Light Works
Hitfilm Express

Because they require registration ...

Anyhow , will be loading some video editors and giving them a shot ...

What editor have you been using?

I try new ones occasionally, but they never seem to improve much and there are always some issues or difficulties so I always end up back using ffmpeg!
If I want something new then ffmpeg gets updated every few days and there is always something new to learn!
As to heavy videos, my last review ended up at 135MB for a 4:20 long video (4.3Mb/s), and the image quality appeared to be better than the original! Don't get that from any other editor.

VSDC is my favourite other editor, but last time I tried it still wouldn't produce smooth 60 fps videos, although they had added vp9 output for good YouTube compression.

I have a older video pad ..
For some strange reason I get files around 500meg for around 5 minutes which is horrendous ... ( 1080 )
I get much better compression with OBS , but OBS is not a Editor , just a recorder . ( I record some game replays some times )

Some people are compressing full length movies to 800meg or smaller and with decent playback ..
I would love to get 5 minutes of 1080 bellow 100meg ..
But there are a few features I need , like video in video so I can incorporate that rear cam .
So there is some good software out there and people with the skill to compress .

One option would be to continue with your old editor and compress the output files with something else. I compressed that 4:20 review down to 26MB (0.8Mbps) with ffmpeg and could still read most of the number plates, although by then the sky was a bit of a mess, at 60MB it was fine for archiving.

Yeah , that's what I used to do when I was on a slower internet connection .. ( Use a program to compress )
But a more up to date editor should be capable of decent compression ( I hope )
I think my video editor is like a half decade old or worse , anyhow all the video editing software is loaded and I just need to play .. ( I mean do some serious testing )

My video editor seems a little dated , producing heavy video's .. ( Data Heavy or Fat )
So time to play ...

Did not download :Hitfilm Express Because (it) require(s) registration ...
You can download hitfilm by providing a fake email address and then download the file.

You can download hitfilm by providing a fake email address and then download the file.

I think now they Email the download link to you ( Tried that ) , so ?@hotmail.com got a link emailed to them ..
Guess I could just use one of those temporary Emails

[QUOTE="

VSDC is my favourite other editor, but last time I tried it still wouldn't produce smooth 60 fps videos, although they had added vp9 output for good YouTube compression.[/QUOTE]

As a VSDC team member, I just wanted to say that the editor typically handles 60 fps videos well, so if you're having some issues, perhaps, there is a different reason. Ideally, we'd ask you to send the file you're working with for testing and figuring out what might have gone wrong.

As a VSDC team member, I just wanted to say that the editor typically handles 60 fps videos well, so if you're having some issues, perhaps, there is a different reason. Ideally, we'd ask you to send the file you're working with for testing and figuring out what might have gone wrong.
Hi,

I just downloaded the latest update, created a FHD 60fps project, imported some action camera video which is H264 60fps stored in an mp4 file, cut out a section of the video and then exported it as a new mp4 file.

The result was 25fps! Doesn't look smooth like the original.

Looking at the options under MP4 format I was able to change to 30fps but that was the maximum available.

So I tried some of the other formats, and they work, I got smooth 60fps .wmv, .mov and .mkv, so a big improvement since last time I tried, but my cameras produce .mp4 files, I wanted to keep .mp4 and I don't want it at 25fps!

I also tried the .webm, but that is very slow, looks like it is on speed 0, and I don't see anywhere to set the encoding speed...

If old4570 wants to add it to his list: http://www.videosoftdev.com

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest update, created a FHD 60fps project, imported some action camera video which is H264 60fps stored in an mp4 file, cut out a section of the video and then exported it as a new mp4 file.

The result was 25fps! Doesn't look smooth like the original.

That sounds unusual. My advice is to make sure that the framerate is 60fps when you're exporting the file. To do so, go to "Edit profile" in the Export tab and find the Framerate dropdown menu in the window that pops up. framerate vsdc.png

That sounds unusual. My advice is to make sure that the framerate is 60fps when you're exporting the file. To do so, go to "Edit profile" in the Export tab and find the Framerate dropdown menu in the window that pops up. View attachment 41817
Yours goes to 60fps, mine only goes to 30fps in the MP4 profile editor, even though the source file is 60fps, same if I chose H264 which is what I want.
What could be limiting it?

1537269634615.png

OK, when I updated the version, it asked me if I wanted to delete the old version first, I said yes. When I ran it today to get the above screen grab, I clicked on my normal icon and it ran an old version, I didn't notice at the time! Now that I have run the new version, I do have 60fps in the list for .MP4. Where I went wrong yesterday was that I had "PC" selected as the "Media Device", and then .mp4 is not an option so I had selected .mpg and when .mpg is selected the list only goes to 30fps even on the new version. I don't know why it thinks I wouldn't want to use .mp4 on my PC, or .webm either - those are the two I do use, and I don't know why I shouldn't be allowed a 60fps .mpg file.

17 second 60fps .webm file, compressed to 1.78MB (882 Kbps) for test:

I updated to pinnacle studio 22 ultimate a few days ago, took a few screen clicks and a email, then a "slow" DL that did not max out my gigabit Dl speed, but quite manageable none the less.

I think now they Email the download link to you ( Tried that ) , so ?@hotmail.com got a link emailed to them ..
Guess I could just use one of those temporary Emails

You can have several Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail addresses. Having different ones for different purposes makes it easier to keep stuff sorted out, and you can delete them once you're done with them. Also, they will get deleted if you don't use them for too long. Not sure of those details any more but Hotmail used to close accounts after 90 days of not being logged into; the others were much better so I stopped using Hotmail. You can also set up these accounts to forward messages to another account so you can log into one and see several. I've probably had 50 email addys over time and I've never used any disposable or paid-service ones.

Lots of ways to play the system if you know how it works and how to work it ;)
Phil

http://www.videosoftdev.com/

Will give it a try as time permits ..
Still have two reviews needing doing , then I can hopefully move onto projects ...
One being playing with the video editors ..

Email - Yeah had lots myself ..
I find the temporary ones useful when I don't really want to create a spam catcher ..
I used to go through emails like socks a decade or more ago , but when you need to be in touch with people , it unfortunately creates a black hole for spam .

http://www.videosoftdev.com/

Will give it a try as time permits ..
Still have two reviews needing doing , then I can hopefully move onto projects ...
One being playing with the video editors ..
It is worth putting a little effort into learning that one, it does the basic editing tasks quite well once you have worked out how to use it, doesn't concentrate on useless artistic effects like some. It also allows decent control over the video encoder/compression settings, although that can be a bit complicated if you don't know what the settings mean. There are not many free video editors that would have let me compress the output from my test video above, down to 0.88 Mbps for YouTube upload with reasonable results, not great quality with that much compression but it let me do it. I see they have also added H265 compression which you don't find in other free editors since it has a license fee! Took me a while to find it though, only available in AVI files, and having tried it I will be going back to the webm files and Googles VP9, does a nicer job of dashcam video.

So far I have only had time to use shotcut .. ( Video editor )
Certainly a different way to do things .. I can see this all taking time .
I do need functionality , such as video in video ( rear cam view ) .. ( Multiple video streams )
So if the editor lacks multiple video streams .. + Some fancy features would be nice - Like more precise text placement - maybe adding a animated GIF ( ? )
Will see ..

I do need functionality , such as video in video ( rear cam view ) .. ( Multiple video streams )
So if the editor lacks multiple video streams .. + Some fancy features would be nice - Like more precise text placement - maybe adding a animated GIF ( ? )
Will see ..
It does rear view nicely with lots of adjustability, in whatever style you like, split screen, mirror etc. Also basic text, as long as you don't want really clever features like text that follows people around the screen automatically. Never tried an animated gif so don't know.

If you get stuck, and google doesn't help, ask, some of the things that are needed are not so easy to find until you know where they are!

Will see ..

I won't be able to help you with other video editors, but here is how to create a "video in video" effect in VSDC literally in a couple of seconds: video guide. Technically, most non-linear video editors (those having multiple video tracks on a timeline) should be capable of this trick.

I won't be able to help you with other video editors, but here is how to create a "video in video" effect in VSDC literally in a couple of seconds: video guide. Technically, most non-linear video editors (those having multiple video tracks on a timeline) should be capable of this trick.
Thank you , that was interesting and certainly different from what I normally do ..
Usually I add a video to my (?) edit bar / video stream bar - what ever it is called and what ever video is on top is the overlay ..
I don't have time right now to play with the video editing software , but hopefully soon .

Back