A129 Duo crashing, not recording

Hi, yes it's 24/7 with viofo 2 wire hardwire kit and low bitrate parking mode.
I have an A119S mounted to the front window on my house that I use as a security camera and I find that after about a week or more of constant recording (in time lapse), I get a similar issue to what your experiencing. The camera appears to be recording. I press the REC button to stop the recording, then power down the camera. Once I view the recordings, I see that the camera has actually stopped recording new footage even though it appeared to be still recording. The really odd thing is that it actually recorded the last file of me stopping the recording. So my card would be full of files from a few days ago, then nothing for a few days until the file of me powering down the camera.

I think it's off, all default, except parking mode set to low bitrate
I still not understand why a dashcam needs the setting Loop Recording = OFF. Such setting should be never available in a dashcam. @jokiin ?
Yes, when camera is okay, if you long press on/off it will take some time to turn it off, it flashes fast, I guess writes down all files.
When camera is crashed, if I long press on/off it instantly turns off LED's.
I wrote to disconnect the camera, not to power off from the button.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have an A119S mounted to the front window on my house that I use as a security camera and I find that after about a week or more of constant recording (in time lapse), I get a similar issue to what your experiencing. The camera appears to be recording. I press the REC button to stop the recording, then power down the camera. Once I view the recordings, I see that the camera has actually stopped recording new footage even though it appeared to be still recording. The really odd thing is that it actually recorded the last file of me stopping the recording. So my card would be full of files from a few days ago, then nothing for a few days until the file of me powering down the camera.

So must be bug in FW, would be nice if @viofo could look at this ?

I still not understand why a dashcam needs the setting Loop Recording = OFF. Such setting should be never available in a dashcam. @jokiin ?

we don't have a loop OFF option in our cameras, it's a setting that should never be there in a dashcam but some do have that setting for whatever reason

Reactions: Mtz
So maybe the @Artis problem is that the camera is stopping recording because card is full?

enjoy,
Mtz

So maybe the @Artis problem is that the camera is stopping recording because card is full?

enjoy,
Mtz

No, it should delete old files if card is full. I have feeling if you leave camera alone for 3+ days it will crash.
Maybe it's not crashing, maybe hitting deadlock and sitting there doing nothing, don't know as display is off and not turning on.

I updated firmware on 27th, newest file was from 30th and oldest from 29th.
So it's deleting files properly I guess.
Also it should beep if it's not recording or faulty card.

At 360MB per channel for every 3 minutes, that's a 36 minutes file x 2, is the hardware capable of successfully closing such large files? Asking because my 6s couldn't close files that were 10 minutes or more when shot in 4K, very frustrating.

So must be bug in FW, would be nice if @viofo could look at this ?
Not sure, possibly. Viofo is on Holiday at the moment. The way I use the camera is not how it was intended, so I haven't mentioned it to them as of yet. In a car setting, maybe it would be wise to have the camera restart when engine is started and your using the 3-wire hardwire kit with parking mode. If the camera is somehow getting tripped up due to 24/7 recording over a few days, that may solve it.
I have been using a 128GB card in the camera (I have had this happen with two different 128GB card brands). What size card are you using when this happens to you?

FWIW, out of curiosity, I tested an A119S, ancestor of the A129, to see what happens with Loop Recording OFF when the card fills up. Card was 64GByte, Resolution 1080P 60fps, Parking Mode OFF, file format .TS, but otherwise typical settings. Only one test was done. A119S firmware was beta version B4.02.
Results: The maximum file duration with Loop Recording "OFF" was consistently 15 minutes. The maximum file size was about 2.295 GBytes. When the card filled up to near capacity, the camera just stopped recording, sounded the usual repeated double beeps, and began blinking the REC button light as would be expected. There were no corrupt files.

Recording was not 24/7. The snips below show the gory details:

Snip 1. Files earlier than the highlighted file 2018_1002_172255_043.TS were recorded with Parking Mode enabled and Loop Recording set to 3 minutes. Not all of the earliest files are shown. The highlighted file and those that followed were recorded at 1080P 60fps with Parking Mode OFF.
A119S_LoopOFF.JPG

Snip 2. The highlighted file is the last file recorded before the camera stopped recording.
A119S_LoopOFF2.JPG

Snip 3. File properties of the full card after the camera stopped recording.
A119S_LoopOFF_end_properties.JPG

Last edited:
FWIW, out of curiosity, I tested an A119S, ancestor of the A129, to see what happens with Loop Recording OFF when the card fills up. Card was 64GByte, Resolution 1080P 60fps, Parking Mode OFF, file format .TS, but otherwise typical settings. Only one test was done. A119S firmware was beta version B4.02.
Results: The maximum file duration with Loop Recording "OFF" was consistently 15 minutes. The maximum file size was about 2.295 GBytes. When the card filled up to near capacity, the camera just stopped recording, sounded the usual repeated double beeps, and began blinking the REC button light as would be expected. There were no corrupt files.

Recording was not 24/7. The snips below show the gory details:

Snip 1. Files earlier than the highlighted file 2018_1002_172255_043.TS were recorded with Parking Mode enabled and Loop Recording set to 3 minutes. Not all of the earliest files are shown. The highlighted file and those that followed were recorded at 1080P 60fps with Parking Mode OFF.
View attachment 42205

Snip 2. The highlighted file is the last file recorded before the camera stopped recording.
View attachment 42207

Snip 3. File properties of the full card after the camera stopped recording.
View attachment 42204
and the earliest files left are much smaller in size with the "Loop" set to Off?
is there a limit on how many "old" files the camera should delete to allocate free space for a new file?
what happens if the camera deletes the allowed maximum of old files but there still is not enough space for a new file to save?

No, it should delete old files if card is full. I have feeling if you leave camera alone for 3+ days it will crash.
Maybe it's not crashing, maybe hitting deadlock and sitting there doing nothing, don't know as display is off and not turning on.

I updated firmware on 27th, newest file was from 30th and oldest from 29th.
So it's deleting files properly I guess.
Also it should beep if it's not recording or faulty card.
If you have the loop recording set to "Off" instead of a specific time such as 3 mins , 5 mins etc then once the Micro SD card becomes full it will stop recording. It will not loop record and overwrite the oldest file unless you have it set to loop at a specific time.

and the earliest files left are much smaller in size with the "Loop" set to Off?
is there a limit on how many "old" files the camera should delete to allocate free space for a new file?
On this test all earlier smaller files prior to file "2018_1002_172255_043.TS" on Snip 1 were recorded with Loop Record set to 3 minutes and Parking Mode Enabled. The larger files including and following the quoted file were recorded with Loop Recording OFF and Parking Mode OFF. Loop recording only determines the maximum file size {Edit: duration}, but not the minimum. Recording with Loop Recording OFF likewise has a maximum file length ceiling of 15 minutes, but the camera does not Loop when the card is full and instead the camera just stops recording. Hence, no files were deleted when the card reached full capacity. I verified that the first file recorded on the card was still present when the card reached capacity and camera stopped recording.
what happens if the camera deletes the allowed maximum of old files but there still is not enough space for a new file to save?
I don't know that there is an allowed maximum of old files that can be deleted to make space for a new larger file when Loop Recording is enabled. I would presume the camera gobbles up whatever space it needs to fit the new file in.

Last edited:
Crashed in my wife's car as well. Display was on and not responded to any buttons. Same setup, same car, same parking mode, same Samsung SD card except it's feeding power from main camera and not gps unit.

Mine has started to crash too, get to it in the morning and get the flashing LED locked up. im using the mini0906 2 wire kit, its been working great until recently with the beta parking FW, I noticed on the app there was new firmware so updated over wifi, had to turn the cam back on by pulling the side usb, turned it back on and set it up for parking mode at 1fps, it didnt record after that, missed my trip to work that day, only realised when i got back in the car and checked files. Think I will try pulling the power usb from the unit when its parked at home, as it may be low battery power causing it.

Mine stopped recording because of the SD card.

A new SD card of a different make and it's been fine for over a week now.

Not using parking mode.

Mine stopped recording because of the SD card.

A new SD card of a different make and it's been fine for over a week now.

Not using parking mode.

Was your one beeping about faulty card ?

In our case it's just freezes like deadlock, reset it and if works fine for weeks.

Sounds like scheduled daily reboot is needed in firmware.

No it just stopped doing anything.

I didn't notice at first until I looked at the screen and saw it wasn't recording.

Was your one beeping about faulty card ?

In our case it's just freezes like deadlock, reset it and if works fine for weeks.

Sounds like scheduled daily reboot is needed in firmware.
Working fine now? If it is the card issue, we need to check while the camera is not beeping.

Working fine now? If it is the card issue, we need to check while the camera is not beeping.

No, still crashing.

I installed same setup in my wife's car on 4th Oct and it was okay for almost 3 weeks.

Don't think it's SD card as parking mode writes 3-4 less data and it works okay for weeks.

Is 128G Samsung Evo+ U3 100/90 MBps good enough ?

Camera is not beeping. Screen is frozen and buttons does nothing.

Can you please add daily or weekly scheduled reboots in next firmware ?

Back