WiFi issues

tonecas

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I'm planning to buy 2 sets of BV DR750S 2CH for mounting a 360º system.

they will be powered when in parking mode by a portable jump starter.
when driving they will be using a 12v socket with a splitter on the car.

connection to cloud will be made by a 4G WiFi router with a data plan that will also be powered by the jump starter.

my issue is with the WiFi thing of this model, since I see a lot of complaints regarding this. It is the most common complaint about it.

what I don't understand is what is really happening for having all this fuss. it seems to me that there is a lot of lack of knowledge by users on how to use this since the system is not user friendly. but it seems also there are some hardware issues, with WiFi connections dropping and such.

it is puzzling since WiFi is a very stable and known thing so even the cheapest hardware implementations should not give any problem. and from the reports it seems that the WIFi on the cam is both a WiFi hub and a WiFi client, since one can connect via Wifi to the cam with a mobile phone and the cam can connect to the internet via WiFi.

for the more tech savvy is this correct?

The main thing I feel like you should know about is the camera doesn't seem to reconnect to cloud automatically properly (without a reboot).
Meaning... Say you have Camera 1 connected to the cloud(read 4G wi-fi router), but then go to your mobile phone and connect it to the BlackVue wi-fi - then when finished you connect to your typical wi-fi network on your mobile phone; the camera won't automatically jump back to your 4G Wi-Fi Router.

Another thing you should look into is the cloud connectivity when running multiple cameras.
Technically if you want to register more than one, you'll have to pay for a subscription ($19.99/m USD - which gives up to 3 cameras)
You'll either have to pay or make two BlackVue accounts (& either sign in and out of the app when switching between cameras or having a dedicated device for each)
Here are some more details on the cloud services

but yeah, overall I'd say most wi-fi issues seem to be user related until they understand how the wi-fi works (which isn't that intuitive)

thanks!

regarding the issue of not recovering the wifi of the router, my only doubt is when the cam crashes after it comes up if it will re-connect to the router?

the cloud plan I thought i read that it allowed 2 cams but now checking the link again it says only 1. and more restrictive usage than Thinkware.
is it one cam only or a 2ch system is considered one cam?

Probably i will order one BlackVue DR750S 2CH and one Thikware F800 Pro 2CH. this way will spread the risk.

the cloud plan I thought i read that it allowed 2 cams but now checking the link again it says only 1. and more restrictive usage than Thinkware.
is it one cam only or a 2ch system is considered one cam?

When it says one camera, it means one system - so a 2ch camera is one..

Yep, a 2CH unit counts as one camera registered.

Depending on what you really mean by the cam crashing... it should reconnect to your 4G hotspot, yes.
At least in a perfect world.
You can set the camera to auto reboot at a certain time, once it reboots it'll connect to the remembered hotspot if available.

You might have to adjust some settings on your hotspot to play friendly though, a lot of units go into a sleep mode if inactive.

Yep, a 2CH unit counts as one camera registered.

Depending on what you really mean by the cam crashing... it should reconnect to your 4G hotspot, yes.
At least in a perfect world.
You can set the camera to auto reboot at a certain time, once it reboots it'll connect to the remembered hotspot if available.

You might have to adjust some settings on your hotspot to play friendly though, a lot of units go into a sleep mode if inactive.

very good insights. thanks!

A guy in Amazon German has reported the following about BlackVue 750:

"The camera is cobbled together from old parts. I bought a DR650GW ... guts = DR550GW Power Board / DR550GW Main Board and DR500GW Motion Sensor Module .. "

wow...

A guy in Amazon German has reported the following about BlackVue 750:

"The camera is cobbled together from old parts. I bought a DR650GW ... guts = DR550GW Power Board / DR550GW Main Board and DR500GW Motion Sensor Module .. "

wow...

no different to Thinkware, they released the 800 which was a 750 inside and charged more money for it, when people worked it out they started locking out the ability to update the firmware

that is insane.
this looks like a business that need true competition.

the Korean products have a reputation and market following that they don't deserve
I believe this is all due to buffered parking mode mainly. In every forum I've seen the Korean brands are recommended because of this.

I believe this is all due to buffered parking mode mainly. In every forum I've seen the Korean brands are recommended because of this.
I don't think it's that as not all of them have that anyway, there's a perception that they are somehow superior but there's a lot of compromises in their products also

I'm planning to buy 2 sets of BV DR750S 2CH for mounting a 360º system.

it is puzzling since WiFi is a very stable and known thing so even the cheapest hardware implementations should not give any problem. and from the reports it seems that the WIFi on the cam is both a WiFi hub and a WiFi client, since one can connect via Wifi to the cam with a mobile phone and the cam can connect to the internet via WiFi.

for the more tech savvy is this correct?

I’ve been in the same boat in regards to searching for a 4ch system (dual 2CH). Would be curious if the Blackvue maintains proper time via the GPS, so I could sync/stack different channels (like PIP).

ANYWAYS, I digress.

TBH, WiFi is not as simple you’d expect (same with most wireless connectivity, such as BT, BLE, etc). Even modern routers struggle with 2.4 to 5ghz handoff, which gave way to 3-band mesh network routers (i.e. Netgear Orbi). So many things can cause issues with WiFi, such as RF, EMF, material of mediums between endpoints, etc. Also, WiFi is not a low-power process, and requires CPU resources on top of a dashcam’s normal duties (esp for “live stream”).

I usually steer away from WiFi functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't think it's that as not all of them have that anyway
I'm referring mainly to BlackVue and Thinkware (Blacksys as well but it isn't as popular). I'm unaware of the other Korean brands but those are always the ones recommended due to buffered parking.

there's a perception that they are somehow superior but there's a lot of compromises in their products also
I agree and have no intention to ever purchase any of them. I'm telling you though, if a discussion is ever brought up that parking mode is important then those Korean brands are always front and center.

I'm referring mainly to BlackVue and Thinkware (Blacksys as well but it isn't as popular). I'm unaware of the other Korean brands but those are always the ones recommended due to buffered parking.

I agree and have no intention to ever purchase any of them. I'm telling you though, if a discussion is ever brought up that parking mode is important then those Korean brands are always front and center.

I own many of the Korean brand dashcams, and have done quite a bit of testing because parking mode is very important to me (plus high max operating temps).

Here are some below
Thinkware F800 Pro: this has been my primary parking mode. The video is alright, but it’s nearly impossible to get the audio to not be noisy/muddled/interference.

Blackvue DR750S: excellent motion detection, decent Max operating temp, above average video and audio quality

Blackvue DR900S: must use timelapse or it overheats in parking mode.

QVIA QR790: 1440p Starvis. Not the stealthiest form factor. Good heat tolerance, good audio, crisp video even with CPL. buffered parking mode- 10 seconds before and 20 seconds after (just checked manual), with pretty accurate sensitivity.

iRoad X9: even stealthier form factor than F800 Pro. Need to use computer version of app to disable the obnoxious breathing LED lights. Highest max operating temp.

that's precisely the issue: parking mode and wireless (and now remote) access. that is why they are laughing all the way to the bank, pocketing big gains from expensive models that are mainly a collection of previous models HW. Because there is no competition.

most other brands are still in the dark ages, based on screens and simple use cases (just get footage from the front of the vehicle or maybe also from the rear)

I own many of the Korean brand dashcams, and have done quite a bit of testing because parking mode is very important to me (plus high max operating temps).

Here are some below
Thinkware F800 Pro: this has been my primary parking mode. The video is alright, but it’s nearly impossible to get the audio to not be noisy/muddled/interference.

Blackvue DR750S: excellent motion detection, decent Max operating temp, above average video and audio quality

Blackvue DR900S: must use timelapse or it overheats in parking mode.

QVIA QR790: 1440p Starvis. Not the stealthiest form factor. Good heat tolerance, good audio, crisp video even with CPL. buffered parking mode- 10 seconds before and 20 seconds after (just checked manual), with pretty accurate sensitivity.

iRoad X9: even stealthier form factor than F800 Pro. Need to use computer version of app to disable the obnoxious breathing LED lights. Highest max operating temp.

nice summary. I am thinking on using one Thinkware F800 Pro 2CH and one BlackVue DR750S 2CH to make a 360º system, and try to reach more reliability by not using all from the same brand because of remote connectivity issues and operating heat resistance.

these two brands and models are the only that offer remote access providing a 360º and always on surveillance system. This isn't going to be cheap, but I'm still debating with the issue on how to place the side cams because of the curtain air bags...

Reactions: RLS
I have a Blacksys CH-200 and the Wi-Fi access is just awful. It won't work at all via the app on my Google Pixel XL unless I disable cellular data on the phone. Then it's hit or miss. There's also no cloud service as far as I can tell. The only way to get the video off the phone is to deal with the crappy app and hope it connects via Wi-Fi or pull the SD card.

I'm considering switching to the Blackvue DR705S. Thoughts?

We have a Wi-Fi signal in our garage so the Blackvue could connect to the cloud service but I understand it only uploads events. Correct?

Thanks!

DR750S can upload events and also allow to see live video and open an audio connection to the cams.

the more useful thing with cloud access is when in parking mode outside of your home.

Reactions: RLS
Back