Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x Viofo A119 V3
Here is my 128Gb Samsung Evo. Bought from ScanUK so is genuine:

VUAWoIU.jpg

pmXBneT.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Further reading advises modern SDCards need to be tested under USB3 as USB2 often isn't fast enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My older Sandisk 64Gb card is currently in testing, results to follow:

Interesting - here is the manufacturers blurb - they are quite happy to quote the read speed but we need a good write speed for dashcams.
"Read speed up to 48 Mb/s" but actual is 80.0 MByte/s under USB3 !

@NextBase Tiffany - What type of read/write more closely resembles the DashCam ?

7HCTDFa.jpg

USB 3.0 connection:
Warning: Only 60898 of 60899 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 18.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 80.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

The above max 18.2 MByte/s write speed surely doesn't cut it, but, seemed to work OK in my 402 and 412 DashCams.

I'm now going to put the Samsung 128Gb through its paces:

USB 3.0 connection:
Warning: Only 122102 of 122103 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 60.8 MByte/s
Reading speed: 67.8 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Interesting, the supposed faster U3 card has a slower read speed

Here's a good program for quickly testing card speeds:

This one seems to agree with my Sandisk 64Gb U1 card:

nQitqoY.jpg

Samsung 128Gb U3 Card:

vK4NG66.jpg

Here is a link to all the SDCard testing programs I've used:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eyqtd1xpt6w4qdv/AADM38KrmrgckTkGP8pJgSW7a?dl=0

Kremsearch

Last edited:
Would be good if you told us what S/W you were testing them with and edit it into your post K. I only have FakeFlashTest installed. I'll run that at one of my SDs.
Did you try one in an micro to normal SD adaptor into the card hole K?

Yep H2testw in log = 'should have gone to SpecsSavers' :D

128Gb still in test, not long to go.

Very interesting that the 'faster' U3 card is slower at being read.

I bit the bullet and plugged the 380 into my wall socket USB and it fired up into recording mode just fine so I can link it to the phone without needing the car power.
In the manual it has all sorts of warnings about PC and car mount only.

@M8TJT, will using a full size adapter make any difference ? I used the micro slot.

Last edited:
This is the fake so far.

It claims it's a 32GB, you can see below only 1GB is OK - it's a 1GB SD card.

Will post full result when finished.

1539259225555.png

Next test is to view it in Windows Explorer to see if you get the hieroglyphics.

If you do get hieroglyphics then here's some help:

f1Tn1IT.jpg

Last edited:
FakeFlashTest:

id78eSQ.jpg

@M8TJT, will using a full size adapter make any difference ? I used the micro slot.
I was just wonering whether you had plugged the SD into an SD to USB converter or plugged it into an SD reader on your PC. My PCs will only take full size SD so i have a small USB3 to microSD converter as well as lots of micro to full size converters that you usually get with the card.
Will download and install the other tester and have a go at that.
@M8TJT these reports are H2Test, at the bottom "H2testw v1.4 " you can get it here: https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml
Thanks Tiffany. Downloading as type.

Ah. Right.
I just tried in my USB3 adapter into a USB3 socket and got about 2MB/sec write. I now have it in a micro to full size SD into the SD card slot on my lappy and it's writing at 10.2MB/sec. Card details to follow, but it's a 16GB card.

I'm wondering whether being inserted directly into a DashCam slot increases speed as there is no USB to get in the way.

If so my test speeds are meaningless other than like for like.

I'm going to cut my losses here, 37 hours seems a little unreasonable on a USB3 with card directly into the card reader

1539269941089.png

For some context this is the card:
1539271475436.png 1539271493986.png

Last edited:
That is a bit excessive. I think as soon as it turned pink it was job done.

Ignore that bit. Just quick format the card under Windows and it's fine, although it does need reformatting by the DashCam to convert it from ex-Fat to FAT32.

Last edited:
First post updated.

Am I missing a trick or calculating wrong ?

Tw7rdHz.jpg

Looking at the maths my cameras are only writing at circa 2Mbps which is a lot slower than the recommended 50Mbps

That's helpful, care to explain.

If I write out at 2Mbps, then after 300 seconds (5 mins) I've written a 600Mb file ?

It probably is wrong, but why ?

15mbit/sec is around 100mb per minute of video give or take, are you confusing megabits and megabytes perhaps?

download mediainfo and you can view all the stats on any video file from your cameras quite easily

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kremmen Nextbase Other 2