Major accident behind me today but my rear 380 wasn't recording........

uktivo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 612GW
Travelling home today and there was a major accident directly behind me. I was in the slow lane on the M6 with 1 mile to the off junction. There was an overseas lorry directly behind me. We were about to enter a 50mph (roadworks) zone and an audi decided to pull directly in front of me. Not a big problem as I was slowing down anyway because of the 50mph zone and the approaching exit, so just dropped a gear and let it in. The audi slotted in but the lorry behind me didn't slow down. No idea why, this is why i wanted to look at the footage to see if he was doing anything he shouldn't have been... the lorry at the last minute swerved into the second lane hitting broadside a car that was there..
By the time I'd noticed what had gone on in my rear view mirror, I was at my junction, so decided I would look at the footage when home and if i had anything of importance, I would send it to the police..

Got home, plugged the camera in and hey presto... it hadn't recorded anything since 9am this morning.. the accident happened around 12.10pm...

Why is this camera not recording? or worse still, recoding sometimes and not others??? What is the point of paying for a camera only to find it doesn't work when its needed?

Annoyed......

I bet you are.

Never had any issues with mine. I always listen for both the power on noise then the recording, chimes up, noise.

I bet you are.

Never had any issues with mine. I always listen for both the power on noise then the recording, chimes up, noise.

Yes, me too, unfortunately, I've got one in the front also, so it gets a bit confusing..
I will have to check that the front one is recording correctly now. It's not worth having if they aren't doing what they should be doing..

Hi @uktivo

That sounds very frustrating, I'm ever so sorry. You purchased them from us if I remember rightly?

Did you get the cards from us? Have you ever formatted them?

Hi @uktivo

That sounds very frustrating, I'm ever so sorry. You purchased them from us if I remember rightly?

Did you get the cards from us? Have you ever formatted them?
Hi tiffany.
Yes these were purchased directly.
I'm using Samsung u3 cards, they've been formatted a few times now.

The 380GW is usually pretty stable, do you have photos of the cards (both sides)?

It might be worth testing them on H2Test.

I've just downloaded both H2testw.zip and Fakeflashtest.zip.

Tomorrows job is to run them against my old 64Gb Sammy card to see what they do and how they report.

I know (hope) that the old card, bought from Tesco a few years ago and worked perfectly in my 402 and 412 will pass with flying colours, but I'll see if I can post the output so we know what to expect.

Be interesting to run a fake card through and see again how and what they report

Be interesting to run a fake card through and see again how and what they report

I will post a photo tomorrow, fake capacity is the most frequent I’d say. It’s the most detrimental too because the Dash Cam is tricked into thinking there is space available when there isn’t. Just a whole list of corrupt files after the genuine part is finished.

Thanks

I'll start a new thread later after the tests. I'll also include a photo of the cards I test for reference.

The 380GW is usually pretty stable, do you have photos of the cards (both sides)?

It might be worth testing them on H2Test.
Unfortunately, I use a MAC so the H2TEST won't work. I've not looked for an alternative..
Re the cards. These cards were used in the 612 camera and worked just fine. Unfortunately I had issues with the software not working correctly on MAC... so had to return them.
So I'm pretty sure the cards are good.

One question. The card I'm using in the both cameras is a 128gb samsung U3 card. I've not had issues with the front 380 camera using this card.
I have noticed on occasions when I look in my rear view mirror, the rear 380 camera large red triangle continually flashing. If I stop the car, turn off the ignition (the rear camera is plugged into a 12v supply in the boot) then restart the car, the red light almost always doesn't happen again... not sure if that helps?

Well the manual has the big red button as:

3. Protect button & indicator
Press the protect button whilst recording to protect the current file, the button will illuminate,
red in colour indicating the file is protected.
Depending on at which point during the current recording the file is protected, the camera will
also save the previous or subsequent recordings, as follows:-
If the protection takes place during the first 3rd of the recording, the previous recording will
also be protected.
If the protection takes place during the final 3rd of a recording, the next recording will also be
protected.
Note:
- The protect button is also used when connecting the camera to a computer using the
USB cable. Press and hold the protect button when connecting the camera to a computer
and the Dash Cam will power on in Update Mode.

So what is your G-Sensor set to and does the rear of the vehicle bounce about?

Mine's on low.

Well the manual has the big red button as:

Yeah, I saw that.. unfortunately, mine just flashes for no reason.. no interaction (it's on the rear window).. I think there is somewhere in the manual that says this happens when it updates.. again. not had time to look yet..

Anyway.. thanks Kremmen for the interest and input. Appreciated.

I was wondering whether it flashes on its own when it creates an auto protected file.

Unfortunately, I use a MAC so the H2TEST won't work. I've not looked for an alternative..
Re the cards.

Yes this has been fixed in the latest Replay 3 update.

I recommend calling us on 02920 866 429 to speak with one of our Technical Support Engineers, we're here all weekend too Saturday 9am - 6pm and Sunday 10am - 5pm.

Last edited:
Yes this has been fixed in the latest Replay 3 update.

I recommend calling us on 02920 866 429 to speak with one of our Technical Support Engineers, we're here all weekend too Saturday 9am - 6pm and Sunday 10am - 5pm.
Now I'm tempted to go back to the 612.........

Why? Because it's been fixed and Tiffany suggested calling CS?
Yes, the only issues with the 612 (except a wobble from the mount, but I fixed that with a small blob of bluetak) was the inability to do anything with the files on my Mac. Now that's been addressed, it would be a good camera.

Just tested, it was a case of it not removing data and so on from the file? I only tested with a small one, I will arrange for a full one to be tested and report back.

If so yes just tested, please call us so that we can see what has gone on with this 380GW here until 8pm.

I've never filled my card before offloading the files = empty card.

Can't report on this one.

Back