Dashcam 55 reliability?

Wonderbadger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to get another dashcam for or second car and like the features of the Garmin 55. There seem to be a worrying number of reviews reporting issues with overheating/restarting etc. What are peoples experience of this on here, have firmware updates removed this issue or is it still present?
Andy

I've been running it since April (including parking mode) and had no problems. AFAIK, the overheating shutdowns were solved by firmware updates. You do get a one year warranty so if there is anything that goes wrong you can send it back.

@Gabacho Thanks for the welcome :)

@lacibaci thanks for confirming that the overheating issue looks like it has improved. I did read somewhere that not having the screen on while driving helps the heat a lot so that's no problem as I don't tend to have the screen on anyway on dash cams. Can you confirm if the video isn't showing during driving, that the alerts still come up?

@Gabacho Thanks for the welcome :)

@lacibaci thanks for confirming that the overheating issue looks like it has improved. I did read somewhere that not having the screen on while driving helps the heat a lot so that's no problem as I don't tend to have the screen on anyway on dash cams. Can you confirm if the video isn't showing during driving, that the alerts still come up?
Yes, the alerts (visual and sound) come up whether the screen is on or off during driving.

Have purchase 5 Garmin 55 for our business earlier this year. During the hot weather this summer 3 of them have failed even though placed in glove compartments when not in use. I would not recommend this product to anybody. The instructions that come with the units state that you should not leave them on your windscreen when not in the vehicle during hot weather. Maybe shouldn't be put on windscreen at all.
Courtney

Have purchase 5 Garmin 55 for our business earlier this year. During the hot weather this summer 3 of them have failed even though placed in glove compartments when not in use. I would not recommend this product to anybody. The instructions that come with the units state that you should not leave them on your windscreen when not in the vehicle during hot weather. Maybe shouldn't be put on windscreen at all.
Courtney
Have you contacted Garmin? Three out of five gone bad is suspicious. I know there were temperature problems with earlier firmwares, but they were fixed later on.
My 55 has been running more or less 24/7 (with parking accessory) for about 18 months. This is in SW PA - probably warmer than in the UK :)

i've got to agree i've had 2 DC55s die on me, fortunately Garmin replaced them, so when i got the 3rd, i sold it on ebay as soon as it turned up.
But with my issues they might have been firmware related as they would brick themselves and refuse to even hard reset, it's frustrating as it went 5 months not a hiccup then within 3 months 2 died.

Will be contacting Garmin soon. Have waited for the cold weather in case Garmin try to say the warranties are voide because of excessive heat. Answer what heat it's mid October?

Back