Close call with truck Thailand

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
The small truck apparently stopped to buy some food from the vendor on the shoulder of the road. I have fast traffic coming up behind me, I move to the slow lane. Truck pulls out from the shoulder into the lane ahead of me. I have to brake hard, honk. He honks back. I need find out the thai word for 'd@ckhead'.

The small truck apparently stopped to buy some food from the vendor on the shoulder of the road. I have fast traffic coming up behind me, I move to the slow lane. Truck pulls out from the shoulder into the lane ahead of me. I have to brake hard, honk. He honks back. I need find out the thai word for 'd@ckhead'.

Your fault.:sick: You didn't drive like a Thai.:)

I will live to leave thailand, and maybe, stupidly, return, again.

:ROFLMAO:

It's kind of hard to totally dislike a country where you can buy almost anything without going a few feet from your car and never dealing with a drive through window.

On the way back to the hotel we picked up some clothes, a few beers, and dinner.

:p

Where else will you see this? Roads being repaved, but not really closed or lanes blocked. They just hope you don't run into the paver.

I will live to leave thailand, and maybe, stupidly, return, again.

:ROFLMAO:

It's kind of hard to totally dislike a country where you can buy almost anything without going a few feet from your car and never dealing with a drive through window.

On the way back to the hotel we picked up some clothes, a few beers, and dinner.

:p

Where else will you see this? Roads being repaved, but not really closed or lanes blocked. They just hope you don't run into the paver.

You cannot compare Thailand to US. Thailand have never been occupied by others and have lived their way all this time. Thailand offers great sunshine, great food, great fresh fruits, beautiful beaches. Nice friendly people and cost soooo little to survive. I was born and grew up in Malaysia and goes to southern Thailand often.

Food is good, using fresh ingredients, and cheap.

One shortcoming, beer is expensive. :confused:

We are staying at an 'OK' hotel on the beach, $40 a day, including taxes and breakfast. Could have gotten a room that didn't have a balcony facing the gulf for half the price. Dinner at the hotel restaurant for two was $9, which included two beers, 3 bottles of water. We could have saved $2 for the same by walking 200 feet, but I'm lazy. :LOL:

The 'co-operation' with the Japanese during WW2 kind of smelled of Occupation, but I guess there is a technical difference.

I can't drive like a Thai. I have a license, insurance, a reasonable expectation to live a few more years, and a little common sense.

Food is good, using fresh ingredients, and cheap.

One shortcoming, beer is expensive. :confused:

We are staying at an 'OK' hotel on the beach, $40 a day, including taxes and breakfast. Could have gotten a room that didn't have a balcony facing the gulf for half the price. Dinner at the hotel restaurant for two was $9, which included two beers, 3 bottles of water. We could have saved $2 for the same by walking 200 feet, but I'm lazy. :LOL:

The 'co-operation' with the Japanese during WW2 kind of smelled of Occupation, but I guess there is a technical difference.

:) What beer did you get? Their "Singha" and other local beers, not imported brands are reasonable. You're supposed to live like locals and drink their "Mekhong" (sp) whiskey:D. If you go to local eateries, not tourist areas, you can see them drink this whiskey whole day long. Even for breakfast.
What's very scary now at least in Southern Thailand is lots of US, Russian and other Europeans, "aid" sufferers settling on small villages just off tourist hotspots to live out their life. Only cost them about USD 300/ month everything inclusive.:(

Chang, Leo, and Singha are all priced about the same.
'Aid' or 'aids"?

I only tangled with this stuff one time. Will stick to beer.

HonhThong.png

Thailand has been cracking down on visa abuse, and long term residents who are working gray areas.

To get a retirement visa you have to be over 50, and have an income of 2000 US a month, (or 25000 in a Thai bank).
You used to be able to go to your consulate and get a notarised statement that you have enough money. (No verification)
Most of the western consulates are stopping that, and refusing to do any verification of your income.
2000 US a month gives you a pretty good life here, unless you are doing silly stuff.
25000 in a thai bank isn't that impossible, you just aren't going to make any money off of it.
Thailand isn't a nice place to get old with little money, though, like anywhere else.

Chang, Leo, and Singha are all priced about the same.
'Aid' or 'aids"?

I only tangled with this stuff one time. Will stick to beer.

HonhThong.png

Thailand has been cracking down on visa abuse, and long term residents who are working gray areas.

To get a retirement visa you have to be over 50, and have an income of 2000 US a month, (or 25000 in a Thai bank).
You used to be able to go to your consulate and get a notarised statement that you have enough money. (No verification)
Most of the western consulates are stopping that, and refusing to do any verification of your income.
2000 US a month gives you a pretty good life here, unless you are doing silly stuff.
25000 in a thai bank isn't that impossible, you just aren't going to make any money off of it.
Thailand isn't a nice place to get old with little money, though, like anywhere else.

AIDS/HIV.
Have you tried "Toddy"? May be called differently in Thailand. It's tapped off the sap of young shoots of the coconut tree. It's very cheap. Popular with locals. 3-4 baht for a pint. Fresh, it's sweet with mild intoxication. After 24 hours it turns more sour and higher alcohol content. After 3-4 days it's not consumable. It becomes acid. If you see workers climbing up the coconut tree with a small pot tied to his waist, he's collecting Toddy. Give it a try. Drink fresh it's a healthy drink. You can find out more from your Thai friend.

Last edited:
My thai friend doesn't drink, but her brothers do. :)
They pulled out a couple of bottles of the hong thong stuff and forced me to join them. Really. They forced me. I mostly complied to annoy the lady friend, and to be 'sociable'.
That's my story.

I'll drink hard stuff occasionally, but do like beer with spicy food.

Here's a tailgating courier truck who gave me a brake check as a bonus

The 'aids' retirees, I think the current enforcement of the retirment visa requirements may squeeze them out. I'd guess meds and medical treatment are cheaper here, but you still need to fall into the slots. It is kind of scary if they are still sexually active with locals, which seems to happen to often. Sorry, but better to send them home.

Back