F800 Pro has power while parked - but not recording!

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
My parking mode has power but isn't recording. A few notes below:

- I can access the cameras via Live-View while the car has been parked overnight
- there are heat-circles on the windows (frost) indicating that YES the cameras are receiving power.

This used to work prior. But simply stopped working. I wiped my memory card and settings, and confirmed my settings are correct. Have high sensitivities set and Priority: Parking Mode. I only have 1 video saved on my SD card itself.

I do have a 24V wiretap for my Acc, and a normal wire wrapped 12v fuse for when my car is running. - I don't think this is the problem as again, this has worked for about 3+ weeks so far.

Any ideas?

I’m confused. You stated you can access Live View in parking mode? The F800 Pro doesn’t have WiFi in parking mode.

Also check your parking mode recording settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m confused. You stated you can access Live View in parking mode? The F800 Pro doesn’t have WiFi in parking mode.

Also check your parking mode recording settings.

Thanks for the reply.

Let me clarify, the car is physically parked/off/overnight - and I can do a Live View of both cameras - so the cameras are getting power. I do a Live View from inside my house, which is through wifi, the only way to access the camera settings. If I can do LiveView, that means my iPhone is connected to my camera, in which I can see files recorded. No files are recorded via Incident nor Motion Detection.

There aren't many settings to set so that's not it.

Attachments

• IMG_6056.PNG
    IMG_6056.PNG
    988.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6055.PNG
    IMG_6055.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Let me clarify, the car is physically parked/off/overnight - and I can do a Live View of both cameras - so the cameras are getting power. I do a Live View from inside my house, which is through wifi, the only way to access the camera settings. If I can do LiveView, that means my iPhone is connected to my camera, in which I can see files recorded. No files are recorded via Incident nor Motion Detection.

There aren't many settings to set so that's not it.
Anytime you're connected to the WiFi, recording actually stops.
You can test this by simply disconnecting from the WiFi and seeing if the camera records.
Alternatively, you can turn off the WiFi with the physical WiFi button.

Let us know if that works!

Also how are you doing a Live View from in the house with the Ignition turned off? As soon as the ignition goes off and 'Parking Mode' starts you can't connect to WiFi.

I'm thinking your Ignition supply isn't correct...So it thinks your driving all of the time, that would explain why you don't have any parking recordings!

Right. In that case all recording are in the continuous mode folder. You wired it to a battery on terminal. Its not the common installation.

Are you saying there is no recording even in continuous mode?

Also how are you doing a Live View from in the house with the Ignition turned off? As soon as the ignition goes off and 'Parking Mode' starts you can't connect to WiFi.

I'm thinking your Ignition supply isn't correct...So it thinks your driving all of the time, that would explain why you don't have any parking recordings!

I'm hooked up to the Fog RR and the S/Roof. (These connections worked fine before and recordings were in the motion detection and parking incidents folders.)

Anyways, moving forward - I do have a meter to test but which do you recommend?

Image-1.jpg

I'm not really 'hands on' these days but i think for a Permanent Feed i would be checking the top one in the centre row (15A - Haz) assuming that's Hazard Lights which should be powered all the time. For Ignition i would check the 3rd one down in the 3rd column (15A - P/Outlet) sounds like the Cigarette lighter socket just depends if that's ignition controlled. Perhaps a wiper circuit otherwise.

I'm not really 'hands on' these days but i think for a Permanent Feed i would be checking the top one in the centre row (15A - Haz) assuming that's Hazard Lights which should be powered all the time. For Ignition i would check the 3rd one down in the 3rd column (15A - P/Outlet) sounds like the Cigarette lighter socket just depends if that's ignition controlled. Perhaps a wiper circuit otherwise.

Awesome thanks for the help!

Awesome thanks for the help!

When I connect to the Hazards, the hazards don’t work, nor my blinkers! So that’s out.

And the P/Outlet definitely doesn't do anything. I even tried Dome and of course it disables my dome light. And no power to the dashcam.

One thought. My "add-a-fuse" connectors are larger size but still physically fit. See photo - the yellow is from my Lexus fuse and the add-ons are the larger ones. Could this be my almighty PITA?

As of now everything is unplugged. I'm at a loss.

Attachments

• IMG_6087.jpg
    IMG_6087.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 15
I can see what you mean about the fuse taps being the wrong size but they look like they should still do the job, it does seem that they aren't though as i can't see any reason why the Hazard lights wouldn't work when the fuse tap was plugged in though so perhaps they are not making a good connection? The Hazard light (for example) power should just follow the Yellow Line and the power to dashcam via the red path?
IMG_6087.jpg

When I connect to the Hazards, the hazards don’t work, nor my blinkers! So that’s out.

And the P/Outlet definitely doesn't do anything. I even tried Dome and of course it disables my dome light. And no power to the dashcam.

One thought. My "add-a-fuse" connectors are larger size but still physically fit. See photo - the yellow is from my Lexus fuse and the add-ons are the larger ones. Could this be my almighty PITA?

As of now everything is unplugged. I'm at a loss.
Are both slots of the Add-A-Fuse being used?

Yes! I may switch to different add-a-fuses as I have a bag of them. And re-wire. Else I'll be switching to smaller size add-a-fuses.
Please let us know how it goes!

Used new fuse taps and fuses, and still doesn't seem to be recording correctly. I have my wifi through my phone disconnected from the Thinkware_17.

My motion detections are recording in Continuous Mode; not in the Motion Detection nor Incident folders.

Do I have to turn off the wifi everytime I drive on my F800 camera, or every AFTER I view the recordings through my iPhone? Maybe I'm just logically messing this up.

See screenshot of my connections - Top Middle = my ACC/Red. 3rd Row, 3 down - Battery/Yellow.

At this point I may be switching cameras and/or a hardwire connection with only 1 fuse to tap into - if that's possible. But I don't think it's my fuses as I've tested.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 8.26.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 8.26.57 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
As Maddog1974 alluded to earlier, the camera appears to not be entering parking mode, and is just always running in continuous mode.

Shortly after turning off your ignition, you should hear the dash cam announce that parking mode recording has begun. Do you hear this? Probably not, because if you did, you wouldn't be able to connect to wifi when the ignition is off, and your camera would be functioning properly.

It almost sounds like it is wired backwards. Try swapping the wires?

Here are a couple of videos I found when Googling "thinkware f800 pro hardwire instructions"

If all else fails, have you considered taking it to a professional dash cam installer?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to doubt you but it still doesn't sound correct :cry: If the Motion recordings are going into the continuous folder it does sound like it's not detecting the ignition going off. As mentioned above if you have a Volume level set on the camera after approx 30 seconds of turning off the ignition you should hear 'Parking recording is now starting' (or similar) would you be able to physically remove the 'add a fuse' from the fusebox on the Red cable (Ignition) and then see if you hear that message or if the motion detection goes into the correct folder?

As Maddog1974 alluded to earlier, the camera appears to not be entering parking mode, and is just always running in continuous mode.

Shortly after turning off your ignition, you should hear the dash cam announce that parking mode recording has begun. Do you hear this? Probably not, because if you did, you wouldn't be able to connect to wifi when the ignition is off, and your camera would be functioning properly.

It almost sounds like it is wired backwards. Try swapping the wires?

Here are a couple of videos I found when Googling "thinkware f800 pro hardwire instructions"

If all else fails, have you considered taking it to a professional dash cam installer?

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the wires are in their correct spots per my voltage meter tests. These have been connected per instructions.

My low-profile mini add-a-fuses arrive on Wednesday and I will give it another shot then. But a higher voltage connected to a 12v, still allows the current up to 12v, however it can handle more - 24V.

You should try switching it as what VSGCowboy (edit: not Maddog) suggested. Read somewhere that Thinkware mislabelled some of their hardwire kit and they are reversed.

Last edited:
Back