BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
The Geko Gear website (tiny division of PAPAGO) released a new product for 2018 the S200 STARLIT Dash Camera. Features include 140 degree Lens with Sony Starvis Night Vision Sensor, 20 min Li-ion Battery, 2" LCD, Motion Detection, G-sensor, Parking Mode and more making this inexpensive Dashcam a great value. The official Firmware is limited to 12Mbs Bitrate, my Modified Firmware 15 & 18Mbs versions improve detail in complex scenes. This post will be updated with all future Firmware MOD releases to keep everyone up to date.
The GEKO S200 is a great entry level Dash Cam with excellent night vision and Full HD 1920x1080P resolution at 30fps saved in MP4 format, view my other S200 videos.
Download GEKO S200 RAW Footage + Modified Firmware > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wy9QXmvusUi3Qwk2DpkaGdXiDPogHUcs

GEKO S200 Dash Cam - Specifications
  • 1728x1296 @30fps = 10Mbps
  • 1920x1080 @30fps = 12Mbps
  • 1280x720 @30fps = 7Mbps
  • Novatek NT96658A Chipset
  • Sony STARVIS Sensor
  • 140 degree FOV Lens
  • 2 inch LCD display
  • 350 mAh Li-ion 20 min Battery (2hr recharge)
  • G-sensor & Motion Detection & Parking Mode
  • MP4 file format H.264
  • Support 8 - 64GB Class 10 Memory Card
  • quick release mount

Current Stable MODs for Public --- Updated December 8, 2018
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Firmware Modification ID >>> MOD-2Bc = Bit Rate 12Mbps + IQ combination B + minor adjustments c
MOD-8Bc - - - December 5, 2018
FW96658A_MOD-8Bc_v1.08+18Mbps.bin
  • based on official FW v1.08.02
  • changed Bit Rate from 12Mbps to 18Mbps for 1080P + 1296P.
  • embedded MOD ID tag in MP4 file for quick confirmations.
MOD-5Bc - - - December 5, 2018
FW96658A_MOD-5Bc_v1.08+15Mbps.bin
  • changed Bit Rate from 12Mbps to 15Mbps for 1080P + 1296P.
MOD-2Bc - - - December 5, 2018
FW96658A_MOD-2Bc_v1.08+12Mbps.bin
  • changed Bit Rate from 10Mbps to 12Mbps for 1080P + 1296P.

============================================================
Beta Testing Setup = 3min clips, 1080P@30fps, EV=0, HDR on.
============================================================
+++++++++++++++
++ Beta MODs ++

Disclaimer: All BCHobbyist Modified Firmware is rigorously tested by DCTeam Members under all conditions world wide. These MODs are not official GEKO/Papago releases and considered Beta Firmware, I/we are not responsible for damage, loss, injury, or greatly improved image quality, use at your own risk.

Stable MODs - contains current tested modified firmware for Public use.
Beta MODs - contains versions being tested by DCTeam and Hobbyists.
Requested MODs - contains special request MOD combinations.

Download GEKO S200 Modified Firmware > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wy9QXmvusUi3Qwk2DpkaGdXiDPogHUcs
Forum thread GEKO S200 Modified Firmware MODs Archive > https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/geko-s200-1080p-dash-cam-review.37194/

How to load Modified Firmware:
  1. DOWNLOAD the version and modification desired.
  2. COPY new FW MOD file to root of microSD card using computer.
3) RENAME the FW file from FW96658A_MOD-5Bc_v1.08+15Mbps.bin ===> to ===> FW96658A.bin
  1. Safely Remove memory card from computer.
  2. Disconnect power to Dashcam, or press grey Power button for 3 seconds.
  3. Insert memory card with binary file into Dash Cam.
  4. Connect power to Dashcam wait 45 seconds for update to restart the Dashcam.
  5. Dashcam will restart on its own, do not disconnect power cable.
  6. Stop recording, then enter 2nd MENU and select FORMAT to delete all files, or to save previous video footage Power off and remove memory card to delete Firmware file using computer.
  7. Configure MENU settings Resolution, Date, Time Zone.

NOTE:
Computers show or hide file extensions, if you see the .bin after download make sure it stays after renaming.
If you don't see .bin file extension no need to add it since its there but hidden from view.

If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader still works.
To restore Dashcam, delete current FW file from memory card then copy official GEKO S200 firmware file to card then Power-On wait 60 seconds for Restart.
Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist
Thanks for Subscribing and supporting my channel!

Last edited:
Looks alright.

Battery ?

From what I saw of it on your YouTube channel, it's nothing to get excited about on the factory firmware day or night (that is said knowing what YT does to vids :mad:). If it's got more potential I'm sure you'll find it in quantity. Looking forward to seeing those vids and clips ;)

Phil

From what I saw of it on your YouTube channel, it's nothing to get excited about on the factory firmware day or night (that is said knowing what YT does to vids :mad:). If it's got more potential I'm sure you'll find it in quantity. Looking forward to seeing those vids and clips ;)

Phil
Download GEKO S200 RAW Footage > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wy9QXmvusUi3Qwk2DpkaGdXiDPogHUcs

I'll spend more time adjusting IQ once I get some owner requests. The sharpness needs slight increase for daytime, night looks fine, but saturation is high and should drop by 10-20%. This would be a good rental car cam when on vacation, cost is low and wide angle lens captures more. As you mentioned it struggles with bright scenes auto adjusting too long creating flickering, don't think any firmware tweaks will solve that issue.

Plan to disassemble to confirm the Lens and Sensor specs, and see if rechargeable battery is easy to replace.

Why it is no super capacitor version like on the viofo cams?

Supercaps are more heatresistent than batteries.

Why it is no super capacitor version like on the viofo cams?

Supercaps are more heatresistent than batteries.
Agreed Dashcams are more reliable and longer lasting with SuperCapacitors. Small companies like GEKO are still using the old Lithium Based design to add detachable digital camera functionality as a selling feature. In some cases it could be very useful but the recharge cycles will eventually drop. One big bonus to 20min battery power is when Motion Detection and Parking Mode are enabled it continues working after turning off ignition with no other power required.

I'm sure next year GEKO will change all new Dashcam models to Capacitor powered.

Or maybe the option to chose between lipo and supercap model.

Or an easy way to change it like in mobius..

Back