Parking Mode Beta Firmware

Ideally you'd want both the power and rear cam to be connected to the mount, eliminating cable fuss when detaching camera...
don't say it out loud, that's for later V3 ... one small step at a time

So we will have the Viofo GPS mount with 16-18 contacts. :oops:

enjoy,
Mtz
not rocket science
it's called > USB Type-C, a 24-pin USB connector system
miniUSB is ancient tech connector lost with floppy disks, should have been abandoned with new advanced A129... maybe V3.

Why do you think it didn't leave park mode?
Do I need to make a setting other than parking mode?

My current settings:
Parking Mode = on, using low bitrate
Motion Detection = off
Boot Delay = 10s

As in parking low bitrate being same as low bitrate setting which is 10.2Mbps?

Is 10 fps producing smaller or bigger files size then low bitrate parking setting?

I have my setting currently set for low bitrate recording at all time so trying to see if pfs is smaller while parked ?

As in parking low bitrate being same as low bitrate setting which is 10.2Mbps?

Is 10 fps producing smaller or bigger files size then low bitrate parking setting?

I have my setting currently set for low bitrate recording at all time so trying to see if pfs is smaller while parked ?
I believe parking mode low bitrate is around 5Mbps.

Some wishes of mine for 2019 year for Viofo A129 cam firmware:

Thanks for chiming in @CaptureYourAction I just checked and the parking file and it's 3.7Mbps. I'm also getting >14 hrs of footage with 10Mbps setting on 128GB card. That's around ~28 hrs of footage on 256GB card. Pretty fancy.

The quality is quite good too. No blockiness even at night. I've looked at what industry standard is for surveillance and it is at 8Mbps so we're actually still higher, which is nice.

I would love to see @viofo implement 4 different settings per lens, which some of the competition like blackvue currently has. It's easy to do just add few values and add 2 settings.

Even better would be cool to select your own Mbps setting but don't know how hard that would be to implement. Static settings are easy to do however. It's virtually copy and paste and changing the values and adding 2 more menu settings.

Thoughts @viofo ? You can make this exclusive feature of A129 which would be great selling pitch and marketing technique to upgrade old cameras without those setting features to A129.

It would in theory bump sales of A129 and gain up on competition too by offering something some of them don't have. You're welcome Viofo :p. Or maybe we can get that in 2019 form custom firmware from @BCHobbyist if he would be so kind.

Per lens:
Low = 10 Mbps current setting
Med = 15 Mbps current high setting
High = 20 Mbps (add new)
Extreme = 25 Mbps= 24 front / 20 rear - max bitrate camera allows. (add new) = (44.xx Mbps for 2 lenses)

P.S
There is Sandisk 400GB sd card out. It's been out for a while. That would also be cool to have that working in A129. Maybe someone at Viofo can test this card too if it works and see if it can be coded into firmware to run. Another marketing sales pitch that can be used by Viofo.

Last edited:
Discovered another one. If I come back to the car and connect the disconnected power cable to the camera, normally the camera powers on and starts recording but after recording for about a minute, sometimes the camera is turning off.

Was actually trying to check what happens if I connect the power cable on coming back to the car and let it record off the battery, does it go into Parking Mode after a specific time or does it keep recording normally, but never got that far, will check again.

Are you sure it's not the screen saver turning the screen off?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you could replicate this issue I'm seeing with firmware v1.5?

I'm aware there are issues with parking mode - for background details: I use a USB power bank rather than the hardwire kit. Although the camera beeps after 5 minutes and clearly enters parking mode, nothing is recorded. It also doesn't record after returning to non-parking mode. The camera itself does not indicate any problems entering/exiting parking mode, the only evidence is when the card is checked and there are no recordings.

So, as a workaround, I manually switched to time-lapse mode at 200ms while parked and then disabled it when I returned to my car.

On arriving home, I discovered not only had nothing been recorded after switching to time-lapse, there were also no recordings after being returned to normal recording mode. Just like parking mode!

Before leaving my car, I also switched parking mode back on, but using low-bitrate parking mode and gave it about half an hour to see what happened. No recording there either.

So it looks like there's a problem with the cam switching between modes of any kind, not just parking - it appears to act normally but forgets to actually write to the card.

As soon as the cam is rebooted however, recording works as normal - until the next change of mode.

I am going to pop the card back in now and leave the camera set to go into parking mode at low bitrate again. If it works fine this time, I'll know the issue is something to do with time-lapse. I hope that's the case as I really need parking mode to work properly.

Format the card and check again. If you still don't see any files, try a different card.

Format the card and check again. If you still don't see any files, try a different card.

I have done and also tried 2 different cards just in case. If it didn’t record anything at all, I’d agree that it might be a card issue. But it consistently only has this problem when switching recording modes. Also, rolling back to previous firmware eliminates the problem.

OK, I can confirm that the problem seems to be limited to time-lapse modes (parking or regular). As soon as either of these modes begin, the camera stops recording until rebooted.

If I select low bitrate as the parking mode choice, it works absolutely fine - all video in parking and regular modes is recorded as expected.

I haven't tried the motion detection mode for parking as I don't trust it to capture anything important, but I suspect it would not be affected.

Reload 1.5 and see because Parking Mode time-lapse works fine.

Last edited:
Reload 1.5 and see because Parking Mode times-lapse works fine.

That's odd - I used 1.5 last week, then reverted back to back to 1.42 due to the parking mode issues. I only reloaded it this morning.

However, I'm not using the stock version, I'm using DCTeam's modified firmware. As far as I'm aware though, any parking issues aren't related to their modifications. Nonetheless, I've mentioned the issue to them directly just in case and will report back here if there's any news.

That's odd - I used 1.5 last week, then reverted back to back to 1.42 due to the parking mode issues. I only reloaded it this morning.

However, I'm not using the stock version, I'm using DCTeam's modified firmware. As far as I'm aware though, any parking issues aren't related to their modifications. Nonetheless, I've mentioned the issue to them directly just in case and will report back here if there's any news.

Probably that's where the problem is, try the unmodified version.

Stopped testing MOD FW and went back to V1.50. Tried low-bitrate with power from USB powerbank (I don't have a 2-wire or 3-wire HW kit).

Camera recorded for 5.5 minutes at normal 16Mbps bitrate, then recorded a further 5 minutes at normal bitrate, then finally switched over to low bitrate 4Mbps for a few hours until I turned it off.

1547415198035.png

When you are running parking mode using the USB powerbank, is the power connected to the cam or the GPS module? Are you sure parking mode is supposed to work without the 3 wire kit?

Back