VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Just came back from a trip to Germany. I can say that I am really impressed by the image quality of 4Uj.
The image is sharp even at high speeds on the German Autobahn:

Links to files:
- Front cam: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALn3_qd-GGWAoBht9C
- Rear cam: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALn35-pK5bo_kG9TNQ

In bright sunlight, the image looks great as well:

In these videos I concatenated 3 clips (couldn't help myself as the landscape impressed me), but the links to RAW files are here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnJW_37kwnALoB4OTlDhDFVBeZAw
I should have used the CPL here but when I started driving the sky was really cloudy and I wanted to capture as much detail as possible.

Thanks for sharing, I was interested in image quality during high speeds. They do look pretty sharp...

Thanks for sharing, I was interested in image quality during high speeds. They do look pretty sharp...
At 174 KM/h seeing anything is difficult, more amazing its still sharp in dull cloudy poor lighting.

Just came back from a trip to Germany. I can say that I am really impressed by the image quality of 4Uj.
The image is sharp even at high speeds on the German Autobahn:

Links to files:
- Front cam: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALn3_qd-GGWAoBht9C
- Rear cam: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALn35-pK5bo_kG9TNQ

In bright sunlight, the image looks great as well:

In these videos I concatenated 3 clips (couldn't help myself as the landscape impressed me), but the links to RAW files are here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnJW_37kwnALoB4OTlDhDFVBeZAw
I should have used the CPL here but when I started driving the sky was really cloudy and I wanted to capture as much detail as possible.
I noticed you like to drive fast, but that black BMW blew your doors off so he must have been going faster than 174KM/h. Great sharp clear footage, very scenic especially that part when you head towards the mountain valley with fog in the distance, well done Sir !

Weather in Vancouver still creating video production delays, couldn't wait any longer. Next video is more interesting, finishing it now when the rain stops.

One guy posted a video from Vienna - I would give advice to not use dashcam in Austria. They are freaks regarding cams and you can be punished if cops see that.

Regarding new modded firmware - I see huge difference between capped bitrate and uncapped. Really good now :) That what was missing :)
However there is a room for upgrade, but don't know if possible by modding firmware or it is only to be done by Viofo itself.
The Blur is quite big I think, even in daylight conditions, not saying about half-day (when day morphes into night or night into day). Is there way to eliminate blur, even by the cost of making image darker? Licence plates are usually lit by a car lights so they are easily visible even when image is darker.
Sometimes the real light is darker than that recorded by camera.

Last edited:
One guy posted a video from Vienna - I would give advice to not use dashcam in Austria. They are freaks regarding cams and you can be punished if cops see that.

Regarding new modded firmware - I see huge difference between capped bitrate and uncapped. Really good now :) That what was missing :)
However there is a room for upgrade, but don't know if possible by modding firmware or it is only to be done by Viofo itself.
The Blur is quite big I think, even in daylight conditions, not saying about half-day (when day morphes into night or night into day). Is there way to eliminate blur, even by the cost of making image darker? Licence plates are usually lit by a car lights so they are easily visible even when image is darker.
Sometimes the real light is darker than that recorded by camera.
Send me a link to RAW clip showing the "blur".
The A129 hasn't been on the market for a year yet and is still being improved both hardware and software, and it still beats many other brands out for longer. Many more changes and improvements to Firmware by VIOFO, especially Parking Mode, will push the A129 into the lead for Dual Channel WiFi Cameras. Imagine the new Infrared Rear Camera option, its all coming soon.

I haven't had much time to work on A129 until now and was going to hold off releasing the A129 Duo 27 Mbs version (28Mbs), still Alpha testing it today. Could release it before Christmas if anyone is interested, not sure Parking Mode will work since I don't have the latest Hardwire Kit and won't use one since my car battery is more than 5 years old.

My new Bit Rate control allows setting
Single Cam Rate = 26Mbs WiFi-Off and 26Mbs WiFi-On
< or >
Single Cam Rate = 26Mbs WiFi-Off and 24Mbs WiFi-On
I'd expect most prefer 26/26 over 26/24, will release this new almost max Bitrate MOD once I get some idea which one everyone wants. Once done will apply same choice for 27/27 or 27/24 version.

You are right, thanks for pointing that out.
I just removed the videos from Austria - sorry for that, but I don't want any legal complications....

Send me a link to RAW clip showing the "blur".
The A129 hasn't been on the market for a year yet and is still being improved both hardware and software, and it still beats many other brands out for longer. Many more changes and improvements to Firmware by VIOFO, especially Parking Mode, will push the A129 into the lead for Dual Channel WiFi Cameras. Imagine the new Infrared Rear Camera option, its all coming soon.
Will try to do something today as time allows ;)

You are right, thanks for pointing that out.
I just removed the videos from Austria - sorry for that, but I don't want any legal complications....
I don't think that movies which had been already recorded could cause problems, but in case of cops control inside country, there may be a issue regarding camera, if spotted.
They are ridiculous freaks regarding dashcams.
Thankfully it is mostly allowed in the Europe, example the Netherlands, Poland, Germany, Chechia, ect. (but sometimes there may be more-like "gray area" though). Recently I stopped at gas station and one cop looked at my car, she looked at the camera. I saw later video :p What a retarded moron.
She was instructed something by her partner, and she just dropped it.

Thank you very much for bumping the bit rate with both cameras connected. Anyone using 256GB sd card? Any issues with it?

I have 128GB and it stores 6 hrs of video. I need minimum of 12 hrs. Most of 3 minute clips are between 320 to 550 mb.

So i'll try with parking mode at 5fps see how much difference it makes, but will need bigger card regardless.

IMO there should be 3 settings for bitrate. Didn't original firmware have 3 settings instead of 2 ? Why did they remove mid setting? Anyway to bring this back?

High = whatever the max cam allows without any issues

Mid = 24-25 Mbps...all those numbers could be community established.

Low = 14-8 Mbps good enough quality at difficult conditions like night time/low light but high compression ratio to save space on sd cards. I don't know what good number would this be. I think on forum here we should establish those numbers.

Last edited:
OK here what I meant regarding motion blur.

Original snapshot from cam:
rBiOiA1.jpg

Snapshot by cell phone (60 FPS mode, 1080p)

rKVOFdr.jpg

I guess it is bigger chance to catch licence plates on my phone than dashcam, but generally picture quality is worse - however I have modded my phone cam to give more noise instead of denoising.

OK here what I meant regarding motion blur.

Original snapshot from cam:
rBiOiA1.jpg

Snapshot by cell phone (60 FPS mode, 1080p)

rKVOFdr.jpg

I guess it is bigger chance to catch licence plates on my phone than dashcam, but generally picture quality is worse - however I have modded my phone cam to give more noise instead of denoising.
There aren't many options of improving low light motion blur at 90KM/h with these low priced dashcams.
When A129 is running both camera it locks to 30fps so can't compare to 60fps cell.
Try the following on A129
- unplug Rear camera
- disable WiFi
- disable WDR
- set Exposure 0
- set 1080P @60fps
- leave Lens angle the same.
- last test run same setup using my single camera A129 720P @120fps MOD but 720P quality is poor so no point.

Created new A129Duo - STABLE versions 27W , 7Uj , 6Uj , See post #1 of this thread for details and ChangeLog.
These MODs are based on newest official VIOFO FW v1.50 with the following changes:
Single Camera Mode now supports 24-27Mbs at 60fps + 30fps + 24Mbs on Wifi APP !!!!
Dual Camera Mode now supports Front=27Mbs + Rear=17Mbs and Front=26Mbs + Rear=18Mbs without Wifi (enable Wifi drops to 8+7Mbs these values still need work).
We now know the Bitrate balance, raise the Front 1pt must lower Rear 1pt.
Included new Bitrate MOD using VIOFO original Default Image Quality values.
Parking Mode support using these HIGH Bitrates is currently unknown.
Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.

FWA129_MOD-27W_v1.50+27F+17RMbs+Default-IQ+DCTeam.bin
Download 27W > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yeuGFqCUwF2MGPEhdxIJOy1zdXuIFXhP

FWA129_MOD-7Uj_v1.50+27F+17RMbs+Sharp123+Edge132+DCTeam.bin
Download 7Uj > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XZcpw190wi2QRxzNS6hnLdw5DWtqqSOT

FWA129_MOD-6Uj_v1.50+26F+18RMbs+Sharp123+Edge132+DCTeam.bin
Download 6Uj > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yWqAQ7qiJDLZTz_mZ9RKzx85E3-ylL3T

Code:
                               Firmware v1.50                  Modified FW 7Uj
                          1080@60fps     1080@30fps         60fps+30fps     1080@30fps
Menu                      Single Cam      Dual Cam          Single Cam      Dual Cam
Settings                    Front       Front    Rear         Front       Front     Rear
Bit Rate Low               20.1Mbps     10.2     10.1        27.6Mbps      27.6     17.4
Bit Rate High                20.1       16.3     16.2          27.7        27.6     17.4
BR Low Wifi 2.4Ghz           20.1        8.0      7.0          24.5         8.1      6.9
BR High Wifi 2.4GHz + APP    20.1        8.1      6.9          24.5         8.1      6.9

Viofo A129 Duo Dash Cam Review > https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com
---
DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Last edited:
Oh how exciting!!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

You cannot recognize license plates at night and in the evening unless the vehicle is in front of you and the license plates are not overexposed.

So we lose 1Mbs on rear camera which is added to front? Can we bump rear to 20mbps? and change 24 front and 20 rear? That would be more balanced anyway.

Since back is low anyway i think we should at very least keep 18Mbps or bump on rear as difference between 26 to 27 or even 24 on front is negligible, invisible to eye while rear since bitrate is low in the first place losing value on rear is not good idea.

I actually need rear camera more then front as i have 2 in front and if i get rear ended i need best possible quality. Front is driver mistake. Rear is someone elses mistake. Rear is important IMHO.

Please bump rear back to 20Mbps if possible or if you can tell me how to edit the bin in hex editor and which line number contain bit rate values? Or another version please?

Thank you very much for bumping the bit rate with both cameras connected. Anyone using 256GB sd card? Any issues with it?

I have 128GB and it stores 6 hrs of video. I need minimum of 12 hrs. Most of 3 minute clips are between 320 to 550 mb.

So i'll try with parking mode at 5fps see how much difference it makes, but will need bigger card regardless.

IMO there should be 3 settings for bitrate. Didn't original firmware have 3 settings instead of 2 ? Why did they remove mid setting? Anyway to bring this back?

High = whatever the max cam allows without any issues

Mid = 24-25 Mbps...all those numbers could be community established.

Low = 14-8 Mbps good enough quality at difficult conditions like night time/low light but high compression ratio to save space on sd cards. I don't know what good number would this be. I think on forum here we should establish those numbers.
I am running 256gb with no issues

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Back