VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

I did factory reset and i confirm LOW setting is gone, not working. It's HIGH setting in LOW setting mode.

However it is in fact 24/20Mbps for front/rear

Can someone please check LOW setting in any other firmware revisions please?

Last edited:
@BCHobbyist so i set my camera to LOW settings to try out some footage quality and see how big files are at. I''m trying to get 12 hrs on 128GB sd card.

The result on 4UJ is actually 24/24 so it's 48Mbps total. Actually it's more like 49,200 kbps. So either low setting is set to 24/24 or there is no low setting and only is high setting even when set to LOW setting.

Notice also there is no 24/20 unless just low setting got messed up. I will try again but i'm pretty sure it took the LOW setting.

So either LOW setting values are messed up or simply there is NO Low setting at all and it's taking HIGH setting but that's not correct either as it's not 24/20 but 24/24. I actually don't mind 24/24 on high tho lol
You don't actually expect to use my modified firmware to get LOW bitrates do you LOL !!!!!!
why do you think I spend the time to tweak the insanely LOW stock bitrates ???
I disabled the Bitrate menu, it does nothing since I override any setting with my higher bitrate adjustment.
use the stock firmware for lowest level quality.

To those eating popcorn while reading the last 82 posts in BCHobbyist's > A129 Modified Firmware MODs Archive thread , it was my goal to bring the thread total to 400 messages before the end of 2018 and the goal was achieved!! Must apologize for bashing the A129 Duo, everyone here knows the A129 is the BEST value dual channel dashcam on the market. It was fun being on the Thinkware F800 Debate Team, probably the closest I'd ever get to owning a real $500 dash cam. Really hope no one actually spends $500 on any DVR power pack especially in cold climates where battery life can drop to less than half.

Next goal 800 messages, lets begin . . .

You don't actually expect to use my modified firmware to get LOW bitrates do you LOL !!!!!!
why do you think I spend the time to tweak the insanely LOW stock bitrates ???
I disabled the Bitrate menu, it does nothing since I override any setting with my higher bitrate adjustment.
use the stock firmware for lowest level quality.

If it's in the menu i thought it was working and you listed 8/7 as front/rear for low setting. Nothing wrong with having options. Better to have it then not IMO.

I will be getting 256GB sd card but until then i wanted to play around with low bit rates as i need 12 hrs of footage and check out what the footage quality looks like vs how much it can fit onto 128GB.

If it's in the menu i thought it was working. I will be getting 256GB sd card but until then i wanted to play around with low bit rates as i need 12 hrs of footage and check out what the footage quality looks like vs how much it can fit onto 128GB.
For now I'm not reactivating the Bitrate Menu LOW setting, they are both HIGH.
To reduce Bit Rate enable WiFi on any MOD but don't connect drops Bitrate to 8Mbs < or > install stock firmware then enjoy Super LOW bit rates.
I admit current MODs were never intended for anyone wanting extended Parking Mode.

Got ya. What are the default bit rates on high and low setting?

Got ya. What are the default bit rates on high and low setting?
The stock Bit Rate Menu setting will add +5 when set HIGH.
When in single camera mode it sticks at 20Mbs @60fps and 15Mbs @30fps, you'll have to try it yourself to confirm.

Code:
                               Firmware v1.50                  Modified FW 7Uj
                          1080@60fps     1080@30fps         60fps+30fps     1080@30fps
Menu                      Single Cam      Dual Cam          Single Cam      Dual Cam
Settings                    Front       Front    Rear         Front       Front     Rear
Bit Rate Low               20.1Mbps     10.2     10.1        27.6Mbps      27.6     17.4
Bit Rate High                20.1       16.3     16.2          27.7        27.6     17.4
BR Low Wifi 2.4Ghz           20.1        8.0      7.0          24.5         8.1      6.9
BR High Wifi 2.4GHz + APP    20.1        8.1      6.9          24.5         8.1      6.9

I have a cell link neo connected the the A129 3 wire hardwire kit. It Works perfectly switching between modes. Battery reports 26hrs run time with dual cameras running in low bitrate or fps mode and 40hrs with just the front camera connected. App reports the dual cameras pulling between 0.2A & 0.3A in parking mode.

I can confirm if the cell link is hardwired to the fuse socket it charges at 9A so roughly 40-45mins for a full charge from flat. I've never run mine below 25%

Manual states it charges at 5A if charged from the lighter socket.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Where can I find the manual describing the parking mode issue? I checked the manual of A129 and I cannot see it there. I cannot find the manual of hardwire kit on the official websites.

You can check it here: https://www.viofo.com/blog/detail/a129-parking-mode-v20-introduction.html
Very informative blog, well done VIOFO.
Hope this means Parking Mode hardware and software is almost out of Beta and ready for prime time.
For automatic Parking Mode switching must connect new 3-wire kit from fuse box to side USB port and not GPS mount.

Viofo is still running their Christmas discount pricing check it out
https://www.viofo.com/18-christmas-deal

Yes, this 100/170 £\$\€ beats all other cams which are close to 300-400-500 €/£/$

Good Job Viofo, go ahead be a Winner

Hi DCTeam, I've been using your mod for a couple of months now - I'm really pleased with what you've been doing and appreciate your efforts. :)

However, I wanted to ask if you'll be implementing the option to choose different sharpness settings soon? I seem to have an A129 that's overly sharp, so I've settled on one of your older mods (4Rf) as it softens the image to a more acceptable quality (I think it's set to sharpness 90). I'd love to try your newest mod as the higher bitrate looks awesome, but I don't know if the trade-off in sharpness will be worth it. I guess I'll give it a go anyway, but would really love the option to choose a lower sharpness setting at some point.

Hi DCTeam, I've been using your mod for a couple of months now - I'm really pleased with what you've been doing and appreciate your efforts. :)

However, I wanted to ask if you'll be implementing the option to choose different sharpness settings soon? I seem to have an A129 that's overly sharp, so I've settled on one of your older mods (4Rf) as it softens the image to a more acceptable quality (I think it's set to sharpness 90). I'd love to try your newest mod as the higher bitrate looks awesome, but I don't know if the trade-off in sharpness will be worth it. I guess I'll give it a go anyway, but would really love the option to choose a lower sharpness setting at some point.
Thanks for using DCTeam Modified Firmware.
Your request shall be granted shortly. As more an more owners realize the image quality varies due to different FOV Lens and different Focus issues causing sharpness issues. As of Jan.2 2019 the A129 Menu has no option to select Soft/Normal/Strong Sharpness level yet. Until then many with 140 degree FOV Lens will notice the single value firmware is either too sharp or soft and same with 130 FOV Lens owners. I'll create a few more MODs this week. Viofo in the past has always increased sharpness to insane levels and why my MODs exist today.

I couldn't believe how bad the focus of my Rear camera was until compared against replacement. I didn't expect the top-of-the-line A129 to suffer from same Lens issues A119S has been plagues with for 2 years. End Users shouldn't have to pry open the Rear camera and manually focus their own Lens, guess what DIY video I'm working on now?

Thanks for using DCTeam Modified Firmware.
Your request shall be granted shortly. As more an more owners realize the image quality varies due to different FOV Lens and different Focus issues causing sharpness issues. As of Jan.2 2019 the A129 Menu has no option to select Soft/Normal/Strong Sharpness level yet. Until then many with 140 degree FOV Lens will notice the single value firmware is either too sharp or soft and same with 130 FOV Lens owners. I'll create a few more MODs this week. Viofo in the past has always increased sharpness to insane levels and why my MODs exist today.

I couldn't believe how bad the focus of my Rear camera was until compared against replacement. I didn't expect the top-of-the-line A129 to suffer from same Lens issues A119S has been plagues with for 2 years. End Users shouldn't have to pry open the Rear camera and manually focus their own Lens, guess what DIY video I'm working on now?

Many thanks, I'll look forward to seeing further updates. :)

I did install 4Uj and as expected, it's too sharp on my A129. However, the biggest issue for me is that parking mode didn't work at all (the cam beeped to indicate it had entered parking mode, but no recording) and then did not record anything on the journey home either (has it got stuck trying to enter parking mode perhaps?). I understand this is an issue with the base firmware, so will wait for Viofo to fix this.

On the plus side, my rear cam looked really good as it's usually quite soft. Which leads me to ask - will we ultimately be able to choose sharpness levels for each camera individually?

Here's an example from this morning. Number plates are usually readable with 4Rf, but these are very over-sharp.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2019-01-03-at-09.37.58.jpg
    Screenshot-2019-01-03-at-09.37.58.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 52
Here's an example from this morning. Number plates are usually readable with 4Rf, but these are very over-sharp.
suggestions to maximize image quality
1) temporarily connect short USB cable to A129 side power port, disconnect Rear cam, remove CPL filter, roll down side window and record short clip pointing at parked cars.
2) keep CPL filter off, attach back on windshield mount then raise Lens angle up to only see hood washer nozzles, set Exposure EV=0, WDR off, record same scene and compare results.

plan to create reduced sharpness MODs this weekend, trying to finish the new IR Rear camera review, absolute game changer.

Here is a quick look at what I believe is final retail version of new IR Rear camera. Note the violet/purple/pink IR Lamp reflections at night on window, better examples in next video in development. Will create a new thread for this IR Rear camera tomorrow with more photos. The new design uses side cable connection allowing mounting along top edge of glass with bonus ability to adjust Lens angle from outside 180 degrees around to point back at driver from back window !
None of my Test Footage videos are altered from RAW clips, only difference is YouTube high compression so always view fullscreen at 1080P not AUTO or 720P or 480P. Great stuff coming over next 48hrs.

Here is a quick look at what I believe is final retail version of new IR Rear camera.
Interesting. What's the benefit of IR over a regular camera?

Interesting. What's the benefit of IR over a regular camera?
you can capture mice easier, also aim camera inside for interior Parking Mode Protection in total darkness.

Back