New SG9663DC Owner, two questions

Iris3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I just got my SG9663DC.
I have been playing around with it, and I have two questions.

1. When I connect with Novacam, I can see and view the recorded videos. However, when I try to download a video, the download stops at 50% and will not let me try downloading again.
Is this a known issue?

2. I have not yet installed the dashcam in my car. I did, however, mount the thick main camera mount bracket.
The issue is that the mount is so securely held in place that I can't remove it.
Is there some trick to unmounting the dashcam from the mount bracket?

Hello welcome to the DC club. WiFi is not an officially advertised feature on our listings but will be once the official Street Guardian App (currently in development) comes out in 2019. Having said that, are you on Android or iOS? (what device?) You can try the DoD app in addition to NovaCam. Results may very.
Use the plastic trim tool (crow bar) included in the box to remove the mount bracket. Get it in a corner and slowly twist. We have spare 3M adhesive in the box as well

Last edited:
to take the camera off the mount push it up toward the top of the window, it unclips off the mount, they're always tighter on the bracket the first few times

I wasn't sure if @Iris3 meant they stuck the mount alone to the glass or they slid the mount onto the back of the dashcam.

Yes it's not easy to get the mount off the dashcam unless it's stuck to the glass. (that's what gives you leverage) It's not the same off the glass, will seem harder than it is.

If you have stuck the mount on in a wrong place ( could be too high up on the windscreen or crooked at a angle ) then you need to saw off the 2 sided tape ( that's what the string are for )
You can also pry / leverage the mount off, but the things stick well and you will have to be careful.

Be careful not to mount too high, i almost did that with my first SG camera, resulting in me barely being able to slide camera up and off the mount.

Not a wifi fan myself, but as a SG user i am looking forward to see their own app even if i will probably never use it much.

Hello welcome to the DC club. WiFi is not an officially advertised feature on our listings but will be once the official Street Guardian App (currently in development) comes out in 2019. Having said that, are you on Android or iOS? (what device?) You can try the DoD app in addition to NovaCam. Results may very.
Use the plastic trim tool (crow bar) included in the box to remove the mount bracket. Get it in a corner and slowly twist. We have spare 3M adhesive in the box as well

I see.
I guess I have to mount on the car and then try to get the dashcam off the mount.
Meanwhile, did you guys know that the provided micro USB / USB microSD reader is NOT compatible with the micro USB to USB-C converter provided by Samsung?
I have a Galaxy S8, and the micro USB to USB-C converter that has been working fine until now does not work.
I tested to make sure micro USB / USB microSD reader is ok.
The reader works fine on my Galaxy S4, without the converter, so I assume the converter is not compatible.
Do you guys have a USB-C / USB microSD reader or do I have to purchase it from amazon?

Do you guys have a USB-C / USB microSD reader or do I have to purchase it from amazon?

Yes search for Street Guardian USBTCOTG

633edae67b48fa0de9ef2f608867b16b.jpg

last time i sawed off a mount from the window i sawed half way through the mount itself.

hehe yeah you have to be careful not to do that :)

Personally i have never used the thread saw method.

I have successfully installed the unit (or I think I did).
The two issues I have now are:

1. The night vision seems terrible. I cannot make out any license tags, even when I am fairly close.
The youtube night recordings I have seen are so much better.
Other than wiping the windshield and the camera lens, what else can I try?

2. The GPS data / speed data are not recorded.
I have the "Speed Unit" setting to MPH.
AFAIK there is no setting to turn on / off the GPS.
I have the GPS plugged in correctly according to the manual.

Here are two sample day and night recordings:
Day [245 MB]
Night [545 MB]

make sure you've removed all 3 protective films, 2 on the CPL filter, 1 on the lens

from the rainbow pattern it looks like you have a UV film on the front window, is that correct?

make sure you've removed all 3 protective films, 2 on the CPL filter, 1 on the lens

from the rainbow pattern it looks like you have a UV film on the front window, is that correct?

No I do not have a UV film on my windshield.
I actually remember only removing one protective film from the camera lens and one from the CPL filter so i will have to take the other one off.

the rainbow effect happens from the plastic, same effect happens from UV films
Ok. I will wash the windshield and remove that extra film and try recording again tomorrow.
Any clue on the GPS / speed meter?

there's no GPS data in the files at all which would indicate the GPS isn't detected, do you see the GPS icon on the LCD display?

make sure the GPS plug is fully inserted

there's no GPS data in the files at all which would indicate the GPS isn't detected, do you see the GPS icon on the LCD display?

make sure the GPS plug is fully inserted
What does it look like?
I am about to go to bed but I can check tomorrow.

depends which firmware version you're on as to which icon it has, we updated it recently, if you don't see anything that looks like it though would explain why there's no data, double check the plugs are fully seated, that's probably the most common thing that catches people out

The dashcam came with the latest firmware from 10/26 pre-installed (I checked to make sure).
I believe it is 1.3.5?

ok then the GPS icon will be on the top of the display next to the MIC icon, red for no signal, green for signal, if there's no icon then the GPS is not connected or not being detected

ok then the GPS icon will be on the top of the display next to the MIC icon, red for no signal, green for signal, if there's no icon then the GPS is not connected or not being detected
I checked this morning.
I see a satellite dish icon, but it is orange.
What does orange mean?

Back