VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Thanks for sharing. I just learned that they were selling with two different lenses. Which one is currently used by them or they are fixed randomly at the same time?
I've just checked mine that I purchased from VIOFO UK Amazon in December 2018 and I think it is LENS1 (the inner ring is there). Should I be happy or opt for a LENS2?

As a photographer, I would say that coated means better as fewer flares and reflections but still, I rather choose 140˚ than 130˚ for a dashcam.
The 130 FOV Lens is replacing the 140 so you have the 2019 version going forward. The green anti-reflection coating also improves color and in my opinion looks better in both A129 and A119S Dash Cams. It's good to see consumers noticing the Lens versions and their effects on image quality, my efforts to reveal this since 2017 are finally helping others. Lens1 & Lens2 are my personal designation and not official, I created that graphic to reveal the differences which were previously shrouded in mystery.

The 130 FOV Lens is replacing the 140 so you have the 2019 version going forward. The green anti-reflection coating also improves color and in my opinion looks better in both A129 and A119S Dash Cams. It's good to see consumers noticing the Lens versions and their effects on image quality, my efforts to reveal this since 2017 are finally helping others. Lens1 & Lens2 are my personal designation and not official, I created that graphic to reveal the differences which were previously shrouded in mystery.
I purchased it described as 140˚. I think 10˚ would be noticeable. Viofo decided not to inform about the change in hardware and specification?

I had a gripe for them before, when their V1 GPS mount happened to have a design flaw and they started selling EVA foam pads. In my opinion, they should provide them for free to existing owners.
I moded mine using Acetate Cloth Tape heat resistant to 180˚C
gps_v1_mod_2.jpg gps_v1_mod_1.jpg

To keep it on topic.
I just flashed the newest 6Uk mod. Is the Uj mod recommended for this lens or 6Uk is also fine?
Can you confirm from the picture that this is indeed 130˚ lens?
viofo_a129_coated_lens_fov_130.jpg

Thanks for your hard work, lads.

Last edited:
I always recommend lower Bitrate modified firmware to new Dash Cam owners. Everything you need to know is found in Post #1 of this and all my MOD threads.
Always use 1080P at 30fps to start it actually provides better night image quality than 60fps, For high Bitrate MODs always set Loop Recording to 2mins as showing my videos to reduce the larger MP4 file sizes, set WDR off and always leave Exposure 0, never use LDWS or FCWS they are gimmicks.
Thanks for using my MODs.

Remember to remove the plastic Lens protective film and then clean off the horrible cloudy residue left on the glass (repeat on both sides of CPL Filter), use Lens cloth or watch my Lens cleaning video on my BCHobbyist YouTube channel.

Thanks man Im impressed by the quality of the videos. I did notice lower bitrate is not on the menu for parking mode, I think I remember you mention it here. I will definetly clean the lens, I did not clean it when I bought the dashcam. Looking forward for more updates, features and the rear ir camera :).

Thanks man Im impressed by the quality of the videos. I did notice lower bitrate is not on the menu for parking mode, I think I remember you mention it here. I will definetly clean the lens, I did not clean it when I bought the dashcam. Looking forward for more updates, features and the rear ir camera :).
The A129 FW1.50 has 7 Parking Mode options Low Bitrate Recording is the last one and works with Power Banks.
Low Bitrate Recording runs at 8Mb/s 1080P at 30fps with audio in single camera mode and 4Mb/s 1080P @30fps with audio in dual camera mode.

The A129 FW1.50 has 7 Parking Mode options Low Bitrate Recording is the last one and works with Power Banks.
Low Bitrate Recording runs at 8Mb/s 1080P at 30fps with audio in single camera mode and 4Mb/s 1080P @30fps with audio in dual camera mode.

Correct But after the 7uj Mod I only see 3 parking modes 1fps, 3fps and 15fps IIRC. Im using the HK3. I tried before the low bitrate on the original firmware and worked wonders.

Correct But after the 7uj Mod I only see 3 parking modes 1fps, 3fps and 15fps IIRC. Im using the HK3. I tried before the low bitrate on the original firmware and worked wonders.
My bad all modes shows up now. Dont know what happen.

BCHobbyist, I wanted to clarify: For your latest FW (ie- 7uj, etc) is the 'Low Bitrate' setting now recording at a lower bitrate than normal mode?

BCHobbyist, I wanted to clarify: For your latest FW (ie- 7uj, etc) is the 'Low Bitrate' setting now recording at a lower bitrate than normal mode?
MODs Uj & Uk series both support Low Bitrate Recording at 8Mb/s 1080P at 30fps with audio in single camera mode and 4Mb/s 1080P @30fps with audio in dual camera mode.

My bad all modes shows up now. Dont know what happen.
Strange. I'm new on here and to dashcams generally, but I have the A129 Duo with the 130° lenses and it's all good on 1.5 OEM firmware. Interested in image qualiy I've tried 6Uk and 7Uj, which both deliver nicer footage, but my Parking modes also fall back to just a few frame rate choices. For me the full options didn't reappear, so each time I've headed back to stock. Is there some other setting that might affect the various parking modes' availablity in the mod firmware?

Strange. I'm new on here and to dashcams generally, but I have the A129 Duo with the 130° lenses and it's all good on 1.5 OEM firmware. Interested in image qualiy I've tried 6Uk and 7Uj, which both deliver nicer footage, but my Parking modes also fall back to just a few frame rate choices. For me the full options didn't reappear, so each time I've headed back to stock. Is there some other setting that might affect the various parking modes' availablity in the mod firmware?
Be sure to Reset to Default and restart the camera after installing any MOD firmware. The parking modes have always been there in all the MODs based on v1.42 and v1.50.

VIOFO continues is adjustment both the 3-wire Hardwire Kit and Firmware control for auto Parking Mode on, ignition on/off, idle, standby sensing values. These all only work when connecting 3-wire kit to A129 side port not GPS module port. Improvements target stability and reliability while Parking Mode is enabled, currently set to 5 min delay to prevent trigger at long stop lights/traffic jams.
Power Bank users are restricted to Parking Mode Low Bitrate option, hopefully this will be expanded.
I'm a new A129 user (with 3-wire power kit) and still getting used to the features on the dashcam. I'm not ready to try any mods, but I keyed on what you said about the 3-wire Parking Mode only working when the power is connected to the side port on the camera. I have mine connected to the top port on the GPS. Of course I'm still learning/playing with Parking Mode, so I'm not sure it's working correctly. I'm running the standard 1.5 firmware, should I move the power to the side port and if I do, will the GPS still work? Thanks in advance.

I'm a new A129 user (with 3-wire power kit) and still getting used to the features on the dashcam. I'm not ready to try any mods, but I keyed on what you said about the 3-wire Parking Mode only working when the power is connected to the side port on the camera. I have mine connected to the top port on the GPS. Of course I'm still learning/playing with Parking Mode, so I'm not sure it's working correctly. I'm running the standard 1.5 firmware, should I move the power to the side port and if I do, will the GPS still work? Thanks in advance.
Power needs to go directly to camera for 3-wire kit to function correctly. GPS will still function.

Be sure to Reset to Default and restart the camera after installing any MOD firmware. The parking modes have always been there in all the MODs based on v1.42 and v1.50.
Thank you!
7Uj looking good
Maybe issue not quite resolved after all. The automatic parking modes disappeared again, BUT only from the VIOFO Android app connected by WiFi. In the app the only options showing up (using 7Uj) are low framerates (1FPS etc), although when I turn off WiFi and use the A129's own menu system the full range of parking modes are still available...

I normally leave WiFi off, but I do like the app for it's nice clear way of adjusting settings and entering text, so I would use it occasionally, but it so far seems the app only offers the full range of parking modes when I put back the stock 1.5 firmware.

when I turn off WiFi and use the A129's own menu system the full range of parking modes are still available...

so far seems the app only offers the full range of parking modes when I put back the stock 1.5 firmware.
I would not expect the official Viofo app to be fully compatible with non-Viofo modified firmware

I would not expect the official Viofo app to be fully compatible with non-Viofo modified firmware
I'd expect the goal of a mod to be to make the desired tweaks without unexpected consequences, so I hoped clarifying my issue might be useful

Excellent night 4Uj footage, thanks for sharing looks better than my own test clips made last night, probably have to replace my windshield or car or mount the Rear camera outside on the roof, is that the 140 FOV uncoated Lens or the newer narrower one ?
Sorry for the late reply to your question, I just brought the camera inside the house to clean it up a bit, so I took a photo. I think it's the 130 FOV coated lens, which is strange, as the box states that it's 140....
20190131_125349.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply to your question, I just brought the camera inside the house to clean it up a bit, so I took a photo. I think it's the 130 FOV coated lens, which is strange, as the box startes that it's 140....
View attachment 44419
confirmed you own the newer narrower ~130 Field of View Coated Lens, the image quality from yours is excellent, definite winner.

Back