K2S received

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
And what a nice looking little camera it is, also nothing to blame on packaging though there was no protective film on cameras or the LCD, but it is also a pre - production sample i have received.
And it have put me in a damn dilemma, it is - 3 degrees outside and snow in the forecast for the evening / night and weekend, and really all i can think off right now are getting this camera installed in my car.

First of all some pictures for you guys, and later on i will do a video of the menus.

_DSC0568.JPG
_DSC0569.JPG
_DSC0570.JPG
_DSC0575.JPG

For now everything look and feel good, so i am pretty exited and will probably have to try and find a underground parking garage where i can install the Dashcam later on.

Day #2 update, everything is fine, the audio the camera record seem to be really good, i think you will have to bury it very deep in a car for this to be a issue.

Last edited:
As you can see there are also a OBD doogle, not sure if it are just for loggin / display of info from there ot some info will also get in the footage, either way that's very exiting too
Normally the OBD doogle is just for supplying power and low voltage cutoff for parking mode. If it was for data then it would be a dongle ;)

Okay got the camera installed, really i need to take the headliner out of my car and put some cable trays up there instead.
I put the main unit above the passenger sunshade, which resulted in the power wire ( the charge wire for my phone from the bed stand ) was not along enough to reach my power grid in the glove box, so for now its just dangling there as it can reach if i don't route it along the A pillar.
Second the USB C - USB A cable for the OBD well it was too short too, it can reach just not if i route it properly, so will have to order 2 USB cables later as the B&M stores here only had 2 M which i think are too little i want 3 M length.
I could of course have used the spare 6 M long camera USB C- USB C wire but that would just have been a mess.
Got a little footage recorded so have the memory card from the K2S and the DC here on the table so i can make a head 2 head video of front and rear footage later on tonight.

I will also have to read the manual later on, the camera is a little "advanced" so there are a few things i need to clear up by reading or PM to Rayman.

Only minus i have found so far is the voice audio are pretty low and i have it set to max, and the voice come from the camera and not the GPS antenna / speaker / notification LED ( this may be a setting issue on my part )

Last edited:
Do take into account the cameras on my SG9663DC are fitted with CPL filters.

And my windows are not as clean as one could wish, but hard to keep up this time of the year.

The OBD information are there too, though the camera seem to stop recording when you go to view that info, and it seem to update a bit low if you listen to me throttle up and see when gauge react.

The OBD information are there too, though the camera seem to stop recording when you go to view that info, and it seem to update a bit low if you listen to me throttle up and see when gauge react.

Good to see the battery voltage displayed, I wonder if it uses that ODB value for the low voltage shutdown, or does it use it's own measurement?

The throttle reading is always too slow, whatever you use to read the ODB, can't really blame the camera for that!

I am not sure about the OBD dongle, it have 2 little dip switches on it, but i cant find any info on what they are good for.
The dongle appear to be able to feed the camera when key is off.
Its my first time with anything plugged into a OBD port.

It turned night and i went for a drive as the snow started to fall gently, the K2S are pretty unrestrained it seem, room to dial it back a little.

Mine will go in Sunday, got to work tomorrow. On YT full-screen I saw some plates better than the DC but overall DC had slightly better clarity, and better colors. Definately looking good!

(added after night vids): yes, a bit overexposed at night.

Phil

Yes i think it have potential.

The first time being hands on with a dual remote have been perplexing, it feel like OMG there are so much wires, but really i think it is more all the other wires already in my car that's the problem.
I did not do a super clean install so it only took me 30 minutes or so to install it in a public underground parking garage, tools = 1 Phillips head screwdriver, and one of the plastic pry bars SG supply with their cameras.
Still all those wires coming off the little box, mean you cant really have it sitting in plain view, and also for install i see a little problems as it is after all a fairly stiff bunch of cables.
Maybe its due to the main unit being so incredible small, so are the camera bodies BTW they are just 1/2 the size of the DC rear camera. o_O
O also the way the wire come off the camera units, it make it a little problematic to do a super stealthy install, but you can do it as the wire are not super stiff, it just take a little extra effort.

So far i just jumped head first into it, and with all the additional / options i am a little overwhelmed.

O i forgot to tell, i tested the G-sensor tonight and on low setting it did trigger like 4 events where the B1W on my mirror stalk dident do anything ( it have G-sensor on too and can be triggered when i force my driving style and hit a manhole cover or something like that )
So dialing the Trigger values back a little wont hurt if LOW are for cars and very low are for motorcycle use.

I expect to be as well. But I have plenty of room for anything/everything in the workvan. My big issue might be my van's length. Cam sent to my secure mailing address so I won't have it in my hands till tomorrow late, but I got a message that it has arrived.

Phil

dialing the Trigger values back a little wont hurt if LOW are for cars and very low are for motorcycle use.

K2S has a much better (costly) G-sesnor for higher accuracy. we will adjust the setting value for middle and low

I wonder if it uses that OBD value for the low voltage shutdown, or does it use it's own measurement?
The throttle reading is always too slow, whatever you use to read the ODB, can't really blame the camera for that!

the OBD update information 1 frame per second, we don't want to put too much pressure for the recorder. (anyway, video recording is the main task)
the drain cut off is using seperate circuit from OBD measurement, to make sure it will not be hampered.

My big issue might be my van's length.

you may try to use 4 meters cable for front camera and 6 meter cable for rear camera, lookong forward your image feedback :)

I did not do a super clean install so it only took me 30 minutes or so to install it in a public underground parking garage, tools = 1 Phillips head screwdriver, and one of the plastic pry bars SG supply with their cameras.
Still all those wires coming off the little box, mean you cant really have it sitting in plain view, and also for install i see a little problems as it is after all a fairly stiff bunch of cables.
Maybe its due to the main unit being so incredible small, so are the camera bodies BTW they are just 1/2 the size of the DC rear camera. o_O
O also the way the wire come off the camera units, it make it a little problematic to do a super stealthy install, but you can do it as the wire are not super stiff, it just take a little extra effort.

for me, I don't like to put the recorder body at obvious view, I put my engineer sample just behind the A pillar - a perfect location for me to watch and operate & test.

(we often take the recorder back to office so the cables are not routed, just put them on console board)
you may try to clamp the recorder body beside gear stick, I think it is a best location for hidden installation.

1548474052965.png

Reactions: RLS
Front to rear inside is 16ft or 4.87m, so those should reach easily. Can't wait to get it going!

Phil

no, the camera still recording while the recorder display OBD information.
only monitoring the OBD stream 1fps

Normally the OBD doogle is just for supplying power and low voltage cutoff for parking mode. If it was for data then it would be a dongle ;)

5V power + drain cut off + ACC parking signal + OBD data

Back