Disappointing 612GW

Hi @xnsys

That is correct, we've viewed this thread because whilst on the phone to our Technical Support Centre you linked us to it and asked us to view it.

I am so sorry that you're disappointed in not having a response on the forum yet, we have been answering your phone calls and emails each time you've made them almost immediately, the focus is of course on direct contact.

As discussed on the phone, the file with the red car is fine, the registration is unclear when there is dash board glare present. This is solved be rotating the polarising filter.

We can't use H265 because as has been mentioned above it would limit the amount of customers able to play it back. That of course - isn't something we're willing to do.

This is nothing to do with dash-board glare, it's a compression thing...to use the examples you sent to me, you can see the high compression causing blur - although you said that this was fine and of expected quality.

inline-2063458197.png

inline-393939450.png

What about adding the option so customers could choose to use H.265 or H.264 - let the user choose, not be dictated to as I would imagine that quite a few who consider 4k, also have devices capable of playing it back.?

If it's not over compression, then explain this....

Taking the lovely clear image above....

153903AA.MP4_20180930_170238.938.jpg

Adding a little bit of compression and the license plates look identical to what I'm getting...

Compressed.jpg

In fact - the wile picture looks like a screengrab from the 612GW...

So there is the evidence of why the 612GW is producing such a poor image - it's over compressing using H.264, by trying to get H.265 file sizes...

That isn't our Dash Cam, I of course can't comment as we don't have the facts in this case.

The red car in the image above, for the 612GW:
Image on top is when in the dash board glare zone and the second one is just before it enters and is clearer.

You're missing the point.

If you look at both images, you can see the effects of over compression and the result being that the image isn't as clear as one would expect form a 4K camera.

My previous post demonstrates this by taking a clear image and over-compressing it, and producing results similar to the quality from the 612GW.

I know nobody likes to admit that there is a problem with their product, but IMO the evidence speaks for itself.

Erm, hang on - H.265 / HEVC is supported by both PC / Mac - I can watch such encoded movies etc on both my Laptop and Mac so I don't see any issue with people not being able to do so. Even Apple advocate as such (for the guy referenced with the iPhone - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207022)

Even this format was pushed as beneficial on the Apple Certified Support Professional 10.13 course for which I am certified.

I know nobody likes to admit that there is a problem with their product, but IMO the evidence speaks for itself.

We do when there is one, and then fix it. Otherwise there would never be firmware updates/software updates, we want to make it better.

@Andrew Clough not an Apple/Windows compatibility but someone with an older less powerful machine.

Thank you for the selective response to my concerns, where you ignore the poor image quality and concentrate on accusations of a product with problems, a true politicians answer if there ever was one.

For those users with less powerful machines, give them the option to be able to use H.264 or H.265 encoding, it's really that simple.

For me, I can't accept this level of customer service arrogance, therefore without further ado the device is going back into the box and being returned...

Thorough-out this thread, you have been given examples of the issues by several different people, and the arrogance is to respond with "no" that's not a problem, or "no" we can't look at that example as it's not from a DashCam, despite the example demonstrating the issue, and being irrelevant if it is from a dash cam or not - this is why I'm out, and returning the device as it's not of merchantable quality IMO.

Oh no, I am sorry its come across this way, it's not the intention at all.

We can't comment on files/footage that isn't our product because we would be making assumptions that maybe incorrect. That is why we've only concentrated on your images from your Nextbase Dash Cam. The red car moved into a zone with Dash Board glare, that's easily fixable with the polarising filter that is already installed.

It's not feasible to have two separate coding methods, we need to keep things as simple as possible for our customers.

But you give the users the option for 1080p 30/1080p 60/1440 30/1440 60/4k - what harm would there be in adding 1 extra option to have 4k H.264/4k H.265

And when you refer to compatibility - my E5420 dell laptop will play H.265 4k...from 2011 - the occasional dropped frame but that could be down to it not being supported by Windows 10 and there being no graphics drivers for it - how far back with support do you need to go? I would have thought that anybody investing in 4K would be tech savvy and

In realty - to encode 4k using H.264 you would be looking at 12,500kbps stream - totaling to 1GB per minute - the camera is compressing to about 1/3 that at 330Mb per minute - I understand that there is a weigh off between how many hours/minutes you want to get onto a recording.

The pictures above show the results of a clear image, and an image compressed to the level you're compressing the videos on the 612GW.

I have also provided other examples, such as the blue BMW where you can see the compression taking it's toll on the license plate.

The problem with this device is it's trying to get H.265 file sizes using H.264 - you will get the results that are evident though out this thread.

4K needs H.265 to be useful.....period....

Anyways, it's no longer an issue - the device has been returned and I've been refunded - ordered the DR900S-1CH instead, this uses H.265.

IMG_0182.jpeg

Thanks to Halfords for letting me borrow a 612GW for an hour....Had both the BlackVue and NextBase set-up in the car next to each other....These are the results.

First NextBase

NextBase.jpg

Now the BlackVue (And what I would expect the quality of the NextBase to be like!)

BlackVue.jpg

No GPS position on the Blackvue ?

What is the aperture? The 612 is f/1.6

No GPS position on the Blackvue ?

Not embedded on the display, no - but not essential as dragging the videos into the software they provide gives the location - one thing that NextBase did do better...Plus the NextBase software is a little more user friendly and has the red marker to show you the route in each video.

Although I like being able to change the settings from the software with the BlackVue - each camera has it's plus points and weaknesses, but essential here is the quality of the recordings.

What is the aperture? The 612 is f/1.6

Not sure, but I'll see if I can find out - couldn't see anything printed on the unit.

I like to play my footage in VLC or Firefox, full screen, and for my needs I require the GPS position viewable.

Thanks for posting the images as I can now take Blackvue off my next dashcam list.

Have a look at the clip below for the wobbling example

The clip show it from about 00:24 to 00:45 but you can make it out when on the move too

Same problem been solved by sealing with glue GPS mount. I found it wobbling due to poor assembly and design.

To the manufacturing guys. Please open your ears PEOPLE WANT TO SAVE WHOLE VIDEO EVEN IT'S 10 Gb SIZED THATS NOT A PROBLEM FOR US BUT BIG ISSUE TO RATING OF YOURS PRODUCT. If I know that it is not possible to save whole video file I'd never buy this dash cam.

10Gb video file would = 12 x 3 minute files = about half an hours drive for a 128Gb card.

If I know that it is not possible to save whole video file I'd never buy this dash cam.
Then I think you might struggle to find one that does what you want. I'm pretty sure that they all record short clips.
If you want continuous video, then get a video camera. Simples.
Horses for courses etc.
And please stop shouting. It doesn't help things and makes text less easy to read,

It's not practical to save large video files when the camera needs to recycle, manage events etc
What is large video file for you? I just want my camera save 1/2/3 minutes not 30 seconds. 3 minutes 4k video is not large. If it not possible for 2 or 3 minutes make it for 1 minute.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alarm man 612GW 25
D 612GW 9
L 612GW 12
megamih 612GW 20
Rickn55 612GW 7
Back