Which Street Guardian cameras have the widest angle?

S P

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SGGCX2PRO & SGGCX2
Hi all, shopping for another dash camera.

I've had two Street Guardian cameras and they're great, but am losing track of which is which and don't even know what's what anymore! LOL!

I need a camera with a really wide angle, to cover the edges of crosswalks and to help capture traffic signals at cross streets. Helpful to see if somebody's light was actually red before or after they entered the intersection, but need a wider angle to capture all that. I see that some manufacturers are advertising horizontal FOV and others are advertising diagonal, which makes cross shopping a bit difficult, especially when there are apparently typos in the spec sheet tables right here at DashCamTalk saying a SG camera has a 120-degree diagonal FOV when in fact they mean diagonal? It looks like SG is mostly advertising horizontal field of view now.

What I'm used to and what I'm looking for is a 160 degree diagonal FOV, which I think is equivalent to 120 degrees horizontal, correct?

So which Street Guardian cameras have this angle?

I'm cross-shopping the VIOFO's, and it looks like only the A119 has that angle, and the A119S and A119 Pro and A129 are all 135 degrees diagonal, which is too narrow for my environment.

Thanks!

Hello, here is the all new comparison chart to make it easier:

We use medium wide angle lenses (not too wide not too narrow) You should get intersection to intersection no problem. @jokiin can elaborate when he's back online. (Sydney timezone)

Reactions: S P
Hello, here is the all new comparison chart to make it easier:

We use medium wide angle lenses (not too wide not too narrow) You should get intersection to intersection no problem. @jokiin can elaborate when he's back online. (Sydney timezone)
That's perfect, thanks! Lots of different models and no idea what all the differences are these days.

So your "viewing angle" is defined as horizontal field of view, correct?

Best to look at pics or vids regards FOV, as very few listed specs are the same as reality. Of all, SG does give you the real figures via actual testing. Viofo uses several different lenses, but I think the current ones are a claimed 130 degree. There's quite some discussion on those scattered through these forums.

I like my primary cam to have a wide FOV for the reasons you state, but none of mine quite meet my desires so I use side cams to help with that coverage.

Phil

When a camera stuck to the top of my windscreen in front of the mirror have the bottom 3-4 inches of the A pillars in the footage i am good, i don't really need to see more of those.
And every SG camera i have owned have been like that, the XS maybe more so but that's due to the way it install so it have the lens further from the windscreen than a wedge camera have.

Back