Dash Cam vs Action Camera

FodorTibi

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Hello,
Can someone please make some suggestions if Dash Cams have benefits compared to Action Cameras?
I plan to buy a Wifi capable 4K 60fps camera and install into my car, and capture its image onto my phone and use it for image processing tasks.
Any advice is highly welcome! I was thinking of AKASO V50 Elite (4K/60fps) for $140.
Do you have any better choice?
Regards,
Tibi

Welcome to DCT :) The two main differences between action cams and dashcams are that dashcams "loop" record and are meant for continuous use in a hot environment, whereas action cams stop recording when the card fills and they are meant to have some airflow helping them stay cool. I'm not familiar with the AKASO, but the GitUp F1 is a very capable 4K wifi featured cam and worth your attention. The Blackvue DR9009S does this too, but has a high price and other issues. Several cams claim 4K but only interpolate that from a lesser standard.

Please note that wifi performance in all dashcams isn't at the same level as with other devices today. Signals are low power and not meant for distance, and data transfer can be slow for downloads.

Phil

action cams may loop at a preset setting to avoid creating file sizes that are too large. I think my Yi stops at about 13 minutes in 2k 30fps mode (just for info)

Some have looping, most do not. There's not always a clear disticnction between what is an action cam and what is a dashcam. Mobius and F1 do both jobs well by design. File size is a function of the file system being used with there being a different limit for different ones. With any cam, when max file size is reached, if there's more room on the cord or looping it will begin creating a new file at that point where the old one left off so you miss nothing. Without looping when the card fills, recording stops which we can't afford to have happening with a dashcam; it's here to protect us constantly.

Phil

you can get some action cameras that have dashcam mode, and so will act like a dashcam and start record then you start your car, stop and of course recycle the old footage when full
But really a action camera should not be uses as a dashcam, they are not meant for prolonged use like that, and #2 a dashcam you leave in your car all the time so it are always there ready to record and you don't have to remember anything, and i don't know about you but i would not have a action camera hanging on my windscreen as that is a invitation to thieves.

A guy in here melted his SJ7 star recording 4K / 30 used as a dashcam, the much higher bitrates of action cameras mean they also run a lot hotter.

Tibi,

There are quite a few differences between dedicated dash cams and action cams. keep in mind that a dash cam is designed with a lot of features that are specific to its nature such as loop recording, automatic recording, parking monitor among other major differences.

if you simply want to record a long drive for fun then an action cam will definitely do, if not, I do not recommend it.

I found this article for you: https://www.xenonpro.com/dash-cams-vs-action-cams

Tibi,

There are quite a few differences between dedicated dash cams and action cams. keep in mind that a dash cam is designed with a lot of features that are specific to its nature such as loop recording, automatic recording, parking monitor among other major differences.

if you simply want to record a long drive for fun then an action cam will definitely do, if not, I do not recommend it.

I found this article for you: https://www.xenonpro.com/dash-cams-vs-action-cams
Hello bigx,
Thank you for the information.
Unfortunately I can not open the referenced article. :(
https://www.xenonpro.com/dash-cams-vs-action-cams
Error 1009 IP banned. :(

Can you please save the article as a pdf document and send it to me?

Thank you in advance!
Regards,
Tibi

Hello bigx,
Thank you for the information.
Unfortunately I can not open the referenced article. :(
https://www.xenonpro.com/dash-cams-vs-action-cams
Error 1009 IP banned. :(

Can you please save the article as a pdf document and send it to me?

Thank you in advance!
Regards,
Tibi

you're not missing much, the comparison seems to have been made comparing a GoPro to all the cheap dashcams sold on that site

Back