Nextbase hardwire kit failure after 5weeks?

Fraz101

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got a 312 for Christmas and bought a genuine nextbase HW kit to go with it,

Wired into fuse board into the 12v cigarette lighter feed and earthed close by the fuse box.

Everything worked as it should until last week when I noticed the 312 was turned off during a journey....

So I figured out when I unlock the car to get in,the nextbase is being charged,when I press the start button,the 12v socket feed cuts for a second and then powers back up,however this is when the HW kit stops charging the unit and doesn’t charge it again until I turn on the dash cam again,(as it shuts off like it should with no charge feed)

Contacted nextbase and they told me to check connections and earth and if fault continues try the supplied charger into the cigarette lighter.

Works fine on that,so it’s a faulty HW kit.....

Strange one as it worked fine for 4 weeks.

There are some circuits that do indeed cut out when you fire the starter. If you can you need to find one that doesn't, which isn't easy.

This connect, disconnect, connect can confuse the cam and failing to record can happen.

It was fine for the first 4 weeks and it doesn’t do it whilst on the supplied cigarette charger?

Do you think I’m going to have the same issue with a new HW kit?

Yes, because I suspect there is nothing wrong with the HW kit, it's the fact that it is loosing the 12V for a short period of time. (but possibly worth trying it anyway). This has been a problem for several peeps on this and other forums.
But does the cigarette charger loose its 12V when the start button is pressed does the circuit that you have the hard wire kit connected to?
You need to find a circuit that stays at 12V even when yo start the car.

Yes the cigarette lighter loses 12v momentarily when the vehicle is started and does not cut the cam off like the HW kit does.

Then sorry, I give in.
Hopefully @NextBase Support will be along in a mo and give you a more credible reply.

@Fraz101 how long does the 312GW last for if you turn it on after a 2 hour charge indoors?

Haven’t tried that?

Do you mean charge indoors and then use it in the car without charging ?

How would that effect my issue?

Last edited:
Haven’t tried that?

Do you mean charge indoors and then use it in the car without charging ?

How would that effect my issue?

@Fraz101 do you have any pictures of how you hard wired it? why did you choose the cig lighter as power will normally be cut after the car ignition has been cut. Did you use any fuse taps and have you ran tests to find out which fuse is currently still active when the car engine is off?

The 2hr charge is nextbase standard response to ensuring the battery is charged up and able to start, it rules out a lot of possible issues. Charging for 4hrs etc is overkill and will provide 0 benefit

@Fraz101 do you have any pictures of how you hard wired it? why did you choose the cig lighter as power will normally be cut after the car ignition has been cut. Did you use any fuse taps and have you ran tests to find out which fuse is currently still active when the car engine is off?

The 2hr charge is nextbase standard response to ensuring the battery is charged up and able to start, it rules out a lot of possible issues. Charging for 4hrs etc is overkill and will provide 0 benefit

I chose the cig lighter fuse as that’s what the kit plugs into without the HW kit.

Sorry no pictures but I checked the earth with multi meter and made sure the feed tap was good and secure.

I have only charged indoors once when I got it, the rest of the time it’s been on the HW kit permanently?

I chose the cig lighter fuse as that’s what the kit plugs into without the HW kit.

Sorry no pictures but I checked the earth with multi meter and made sure the feed tap was good and secure.

I have only charged indoors once when I got it, the rest of the time it’s been on the HW kit permanently?

Have you connected it to the cig lighter, been using it when the car is on and then decided to plug something into the same cig lighter? All you basically need to do is put the cig lighter fuse back and then find another fuse to use. Are you using a fuse tap to be extra safe?

I just used the kit provided in the nextbase HW kit.

I never use the cig lighter tbh.

But I’ve used the cig lighter charger all day today and it has been perfect.

Like I said previously,the HW kit worked fine up until last week when it decided to stop working on start up

Back