Automatic Braking Cameras

Yangorang

Reaction score
Country
United States
Given that automatic collision braking and lane keep assist using cameras is becoming standard across many vehicles and brands, is it possible to use the video feed from the cameras as a sort of dash cam somehow rather than having to install aftermarket stuff?

Given that automatic collision braking and lane keep assist using cameras is becoming standard across many vehicles and brands, is it possible to use the video feed from the cameras as a sort of dash cam somehow rather than having to install aftermarket stuff?
No. It's not a Tesla that already had that in mind when the vehicle was built. Automatic braking utilizes the radar sensor behind the emblem. Lane keep assist uses the camera on top of windshield.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The sensor and cam placement needs vary by their purpose. While it might be possible to integrate a car's built-in cams, unless they're 'seeing' what as good dashcam does and giving as clear a video, there's not much point in doing this. Any by the time it can be implemented with equal effect it would cost less and be less trouble to install a dashcam ;)

Hopefully it'll be possible someday on vehicles other than the Teslas - would be nice to have a fully integrated solution without having to hardwire everything ourselves. Subaru actually responded to me saying that their Eyesight does record some info that could be used in the event of an accident but it's not up to the level of what a dash cam offers.
"The EyeSight cameras are not able to record and be viewed for playback, such as a dash cam. There is some data that is stored when the Pre-Collision Braking System is operated for review in accident scenarios."

Yeah i assume so, hardware offered up by people like Nvidia and so are more than capable to handle a few cameras too.
Brake assist are now pretty common, in the years to come this will get even worse ( from my perspective )
But the faster humans can be taken out of the traffic equation the better, no doubt about that, but i am glad it will not be 100% in my lifetime.

Just saw Huaweis new 5G hub, look flash, id like something like that for a hopspot in my car.
58669e3a-7758-4ef0-ba06-8bca2e6900c1.jpg

Sadly my provider don't support dual sims so i could share my phone data with a AP in the car, but another provider are running interesting looking commercials with multiple users of one plan, just 90 DKkr for each user so that might be a route to take though that will pretty much double my costs in regard to mobile phone/data.
Maybe the advent of the 5G networks here will change that, cant see it should be a problem as the one sim would just be data.

Back