GitUp Git2- Support, FAQ, Review

I used the RAW function with 12 MP photos today, and the conversion tool would not recognise them. It did recognise the 16 MP ones. Am I missing something?

I used the RAW function with 12 MP photos today, and the conversion tool would not recognise them. It did recognise the 16 MP ones. Am I missing something?
You need to tell the converter that the file is 12MP using the dropdown option box.

Am I correct in assuming that "meter" is about depth of field? I am currently using "center", but I am sometimes a bit bothered about blurred edges.

Am I correct in assuming that "meter" is about depth of field? I am currently using "center", but I am sometimes a bit bothered about blurred edges.
It's about which part of the image it uses for choosing the exposure. Centre means that it ignores everything other than a small area in the centre of the image, average means it uses the entire image, and dashcam means that it looks at the area normally occupied by the road when it is mounted on a car windscreen. You will find centre is quite sensitive to where you point the camera, have you got the centre above or below the horizon, while average is quite insensitive. Much easier to get a "correct" exposure with centre, but you do need to think about it and aim the camera to do so while average is more likely to be correct if you don't bother thinking about it and dashcam will ignore the sky so that cars are normally well exposed, but with overexposed sky above them.

It's about which part of the image it uses for choosing the exposure. Centre means that it ignores everything other than a small area in the centre of the image, average means it uses the entire image, and dashcam means that it looks at the area normally occupied by the road when it is mounted on a car windscreen. You will find centre is quite sensitive to where you point the camera, have you got the centre above or below the horizon, while average is quite insensitive. Much easier to get a "correct" exposure with centre, but you do need to think about it and aim the camera to do so while average is more likely to be correct if you don't bother thinking about it and dashcam will ignore the sky so that cars are normally well exposed, but with overexposed sky above them.
Thank you so much, Nigel. I will experiment a bit with the average setting then.

Edit: Tried it and I prefer it over "center" :) Thanks again @Nigel

Last edited:
Hello!
I purchased a Git 2 pro a few months ago. This was mainly for biking. However, I noticed that night videos had very bad distance shots and highlights were donut shaped. The lens was probably out of focus - as in this picture.
The date also kept resetting when the battery was pulled.

Bigger problem - the camera stopped working yesterday. It doesn't start on connecting USB, or with the power button.
Is there anything that can be done to revive it?
I'm not an electronics expert.

That's a problem with any camera or lens system that uses fixed focus - not everything will be in focus at the same time. Not much you can do about it. It you refocus so that distant objects are clear, stuff up close will be blurry. So they set it for a middle distance to cover the most useful situations for most users.

Date resetting sounds like a bad RTC battery. If it's still under warranty, try contacting the seller. If they don't help, then the manufacturer is here on the forum and you can try contacting them.

As for it not turning on - take both the battery and memory card out and try connecting to a phone charger in the house, then try the power button. If that doesn't work, again, contact the seller, or maybe @gitup or @viofo can help?

That's a problem with any camera or lens system that uses fixed focus - not everything will be in focus at the same time. Not much you can do about it. It you refocus so that distant objects are clear, stuff up close will be blurry. So they set it for a middle distance to cover the most useful situations for most users.

Date resetting sounds like a bad RTC battery. If it's still under warranty, try contacting the seller. If they don't help, then the manufacturer is here on the forum and you can try contacting them.

As for it not turning on - take both the battery and memory card out and try connecting to a phone charger in the house, then try the power button. If that doesn't work, again, contact the seller, or maybe @gitup or @viofo can help?

Thank you for the response.
I searched for the battery issue, and I found a number of Gitup users affected by that. However, now the problem is more serious.
I've tried everything including connecting to a charger, putting in a new freshly charged battery, and so forth, but the camera doesn't turn on.
I'm not sure if I got a lemon, I've contacted @gitup and hopefully I'll get assistance.
I'd bought this camera mainly for the excellent stabilization, however, night videos aren't a strong point, I found a LOT of white dots/noise and donut highlights which I've not seen in other videos (in the Git 2 video thread - there is a fireworks video, and those are all sharp points, not round blurry dots like I've been having).

Thank you for the response.
I searched for the battery issue, and I found a number of Gitup users affected by that. However, now the problem is more serious.
I've tried everything including connecting to a charger, putting in a new freshly charged battery, and so forth, but the camera doesn't turn on.
I'm not sure if I got a lemon, I've contacted @gitup and hopefully I'll get assistance.
I'd bought this camera mainly for the excellent stabilization, however, night videos aren't a strong point, I found a LOT of white dots/noise and donut highlights which I've not seen in other videos (in the Git 2 video thread - there is a fireworks video, and those are all sharp points, not round blurry dots like I've been having).
I think the doughnuts are probably due to vibration, try using a stiffer mount, unless they happen when you know there was no vibration? Since it is fixed focus, if it is in focus during the day then it will also be in focus at night.

For the startup, you may have to reinstall the firmware, and may have to reinstall the loader before installing the firmware. There should be something about this in a thread somewhere. For assistance from Gitup you will probably have to wait until the end of the Chinese holidays.

I think the doughnuts are probably due to vibration, try using a stiffer mount, unless they happen when you know there was no vibration? Since it is fixed focus, if it is in focus during the day then it will also be in focus at night.

For the startup, you may have to reinstall the firmware, and may have to reinstall the loader before installing the firmware. There should be something about this in a thread somewhere. For assistance from Gitup you will probably have to wait until the end of the Chinese holidays.
Thank you @Nigel
I don't think it makes a difference. The above picture was from a slow pan, but the fireworks weren't sharp. Here's another screen grab from a moving vehicle, but the distance 'donuts' are still there. Probably a focus issue.

This screen grab is 'patchy' because of a low bitrate and high ISO at night, but you can still see how the highlights are all out of focus.

The camera isn't responding at all, as advised, I'll have to get assistance from Gitup.

...This screen grab is 'patchy' because of a low bitrate and high ISO at night, but you can still see how the highlights are all out of focus.

The camera isn't responding at all, as advised, I'll have to get assistance from Gitup.
I think there is a bit of motion blur in that last one. It is not a great camera in the dark, but few action cameras are, they are designed for bright sunny summer holidays. Many dashcams do much better in the dark.

Not responding at all doesn't mean it is dead, just that the firmware isn't operating for some reason, there have been a few cases of this in the past, possibly related to loosing the time, although it is not common, they nearly always get fixed by a reload of the firmware.

I noticed that night videos had very bad distance shots and highlights were donut shaped. The lens was probably out of focus - as in this picture.

I believe, the image has been heavily processed due to high ISO by noise reduction filters which caused excessive blur in distant dark areas, sharpening filter added rough edges and white dots, and donut shape of bright spots is caused by another filter, which sets pixel's color to average color of surrounding pixels if difference is too big - it treats it as hot or defective pixel of sensor. If your lens is in focus in daylight, it should be in focus at night too.
Possibly, better results could be obtained in low light/darkness with following settings: 1080p30, high bitrate, low sharpness, contrast normal, wb auto, EIS off.

I think there is a bit of motion blur in that last one. It is not a great camera in the dark, but few action cameras are, they are designed for bright sunny summer holidays. Many dashcams do much better in the dark.

Not responding at all doesn't mean it is dead, just that the firmware isn't operating for some reason, there have been a few cases of this in the past, possibly related to loosing the time, although it is not common, they nearly always get fixed by a reload of the firmware.

Thank you for your time responding. I'm glad I joined this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people and willing to give of their time and knowledge.
I checked again today, the camera is totally dead to the world. Will wait on Gitup and hope for the best :) .

I didn't know that (not a great camera in the dark). I have seen some earlier videos of the Git2 (it was much better than SJCAMs old cameras) and the Git2P - there are a few night videos that are very sharp and capture low light very well. The reason I bought it was excellent EIS so that I could go motorcycling. I do a few night rides and this seemed like a good option.

Would you recommend some other camera, I have heard good things about the SJCAM Pro, but not sure how it stacks up.

I believe, the image has been heavily processed due to high ISO by noise reduction filters which caused excessive blur in distant dark areas, sharpening filter added rough edges and white dots, and donut shape of bright spots is caused by another filter, which sets pixel's color to average color of surrounding pixels if difference is too big - it treats it as hot or defective pixel of sensor. If your lens is in focus in daylight, it should be in focus at night too.
Possibly, better results could be obtained in low light/darkness with following settings: 1080p30, high bitrate, low sharpness, contrast normal, wb auto, EIS off.

Thank you very much for your clear explanation. It makes sense to me now, I see patchy large areas in my pictures, probably because I used a low bit rate (1080p30, Normal sharpness and contrast, low bitrate, WB auto, EIS ON, WDR On).
However, the 'donut' highlights are definitely present (you can see them in front, and front left and even the windshield of the bike), and it makes me wonder why, because I've seen other night videos in the Git2 video thread, and this isn't the case. Point lights are very sharp.
IF this camera ever revives, I'll try using the settings you mentioned.

Thank you for the responses @Nigel @hc_1982 . I have a couple of small updates. I contacted @gitup and hopefully we can get the issue resolved soon.

For the Gitup (after more looking at videos etc)
1) Focus issue : I believe the lens is out of focus at a distance. I am not just spouting anything here, but I have checked other Git2 videos in the video thread, and none of them display the donut highlights at all. There is a very beautiful fireworks video shared by someone which has sharp focus and not blown highlights https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-git2-videos.17572/post-407457 . My guess it could be due to the EIS at night, but others have it enabled
Since the camera is dead, I have no way of checking it in the day. I can't find much footage that I shot in the day either, so I guess that's something I need to do more :) .
2) Camera issue : The camera is dead to the world. Based on advise from @TechTronic9000 (thank you very much for your kind advise), I opened the front and removed a screw that seems to hamper the camera's battery. I also checked but there doesn't seem to be any damage or burnt components (resistors etc). The USB socket is also firmly fixed, I believe some people had that issue also.

However, the camera doesn't turn on regardless of USB Charging, external charger, battery (I have 3 batteries and 2 were fully charged) etc. No LED's light up, and the camera doesn't respond/isn't detected by the OS.

While I'm waiting on @gitup for a solution, here's an update.
I bought a Yi 4K (Selfie stick and remote pack).
Biggest relief : Night focus and clarity is very good.

Short experience :
1) EIS : Gitup - MUCH better at EIS
the YI 4K's EIS isn't too good, and you notice the blurriness/instability in motion.
  1. Microphone : Yi 4K Internal Microphone better than the Gitup (probably because of stereo microphones). However, it does not have any way to attach an external microphone - that's a huge drawback.
  2. HDMI Out : The Gitup has HDMI out, while the Yi 4K does not - another drawback
  3. Lack of custom 720p framerates : The Gitup has frame rates from 30 onwards, while the Yi is stuck at 240 for 720p. Not useful for everyone (or anyone intending to use it as a dashcam).
  4. Image quality : Toss up between the Yi 4K and Gitup. Better night clarity on the Yi, and slightly over saturated pictures in the day. I attribute that to the "Yi color mode". However, Flat mode is very dull.
  5. Excellent user interface on the Yi 4K . It is intuitive, and things like wifi, bluetooth remote pairing etc are just a swipe away.

While the Yi is amazing, for my purpose, I would still prefer the Gitup (EIS and External Mic requirement). I do hope they respond soon.

Is there an anti-fisheye setting in the one with the 170° lens?

I don't think the hardware in the git2 have dewarp build in, you can remove that in most editing software, but it will cost a little of the overall resolution just as it would if the camera supported it in the hardware.

Back