Video files are too short !!

Philbuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I've just modified my Mobius 1 (which hasn't been used for a year or two), by changing the lens to a type D (wider angle). I am running 5 min video clips, and everything appears to work fine, ie it starts and stops when I want it to, it's running off a battery bank, and has a reputable 32Gb card in it.
BUT
..........when I view the video clips there is approx 4 min 58 secs worth of vid on every clip, NOT 5 mins. This becomes an issue when I try to stitch the vids together to make a longer video, and find that every 4m58s there's a jump in the vid, ie it's not recording and thus loosing the 2 seconds. Why?

Info:
Battery bank power
Replaced lens
Never updated firmware (anything to be aware of if I do this?)

Your advice please.

Other than this issue, the vids it produces are amazing.................just 2secs short!!

Regards
Phil

Oh sorry, mp4

I shall be trying MOV and AVI, etc tomorrow to see if it makes a difference, plus different cards, of different sizes

Thanks for that guys. Just need to find some software to convert the MOV file now, as my video editing software doesn't like MOV...............lol

Thanks for that guys. Just need to find some software to convert the MOV file now, as my video editing software doesn't like MOV...............lol
Avidemux can do quick video conversion without losing quality

Isn’t a mp4 a sound file not a video recording file hence the trouble with the recordings?

Mp3 (mpeg layer-3 ) and Mp4 ( mpeg layer-4 ) are both compression formats but Mp4 is a newer file format that supports video encoding, compared with Mp3, which is older and is only for audio files. MP4 is a multimedia container and can technically support not just audio and video but also text and images. Mp4 was originally targeted at low-speed internet for transmitting quality media in smaller files.

Last edited:
So with that in mind, and what's available on the Mobius, then is MOV the best quality, then AVI, and finally MP4 (in ascending file sizes....ish) ?

Yes, .MOV is the best option. I prefer 5 minute MOV clips on the Mobius and this yields 5 min/1 second files with the extra second at the end overlapping the first frame of the next clip.

Thanks for clarifying that about the mp4 dashmellow that’s interesting to know...

Yeah me personally I’d stick to MOV format at least you know that’s guaranteed video recordings

Mp3 (mpeg layer-3 ) and Mp4 ( mpeg layer-4 ) are both compression formats but Mp4 is a newer file format that supports video encoding, compared with Mp3, which is older and is only for audio files. MP4 is a multimedia container and can technically support not just audio and video but also text and images. Mp4 was originally targeted at low-speed internet for transmitting quality media in smaller files.
I find it interesting that the newer Maxi and all my other dashcams and action cameras record in MP4. Do you know why they use MP4 rather than MOV?

MOV or MP4 are just containers, the files can be identical within, it's like WinRAR or WinZip, both can contain identical files but have different instructions to achieve the same result

Hope this not off topic but what will take out the movement when I hold the camera when taking video?

Back