SG9663DC Pro OR wait for newer model?

yes dual remote will run cooler, will still be a while before it's ready though, we're still doing some fine tuning to get things right before we can release it
any other advantages? I don't mind waiting. I've never had one up to this point, a few more months doesn't bother me. Running cooler would probably be wise to me to wait for.

any other advantages? I don't mind waiting. I've never had one up to this point, a few more months doesn't bother me. Running cooler would probably be wise to me to wait for.
running cooler is the main advantage, it will be more discreet but the install is a bit more involved as a result of that

The standard SG cameras have been running just fine all over the hottest states in the US and elsewhere for the past years.
But if you live in a place where it do get hot often, and you want the best chance of using parking guard features while parked, then the models with remote cameras will give you the best chance of success.
As we all know a car parked in the sun get blistering hot, but it would be far worse if the camera was on the windscreen too.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I tend to keep things for a long, long time and I used to work with car electronics all the time. I know in our area, heat is always an issue and the cooler something runs, the longer it lasts. I'm going to hold off for now and wait until the new model comes out. Hopefully I won't need it in the mean time. I just got the car and need to get it tinted anyway before I start the install.

@exalted512 just remember any dashcam aint set and forget, you will be wise to take a look at your memory card now and then and see if some files can launch / play in your player on PC..
This should not take more than 5 - 10 minutes for a 128 Gb memoru card, and its time well spent to make sure you dont end in among all the " i got a dashcam XX months ago and now i have been in a accident my camera dident record cuz it stopped doing that months ago" people.
If you are a MAC user it might mean you have to format the memory card in the camera after you had the memory card in a reader related to a MAC,,,,, something to do with hidden files MACs seem to like leaving on memory devises.

@exalted512 just remember any dashcam aint set and forget, you will be wise to take a look at your memory card now and then and see if some files can launch / play in your player on PC..
This should not take more than 5 - 10 minutes for a 128 Gb memoru card, and its time well spent to make sure you dont end in among all the " i got a dashcam XX months ago and now i have been in a accident my camera dident record cuz it stopped doing that months ago" people.

Great advice, as I probably already am one of 'those people'. I bought a cheapie a few months ago for my other vehicle and haven't touched it since I tested it a week after I put it in back in early December. I keep meaning to, just haven't done so yet.

In a good system the memory card are always the weakest link, cheap systems and its a coin toss.
And sadly it don't matter much how expensive or kick ass brand memory card you get yourself, me i had reverse luck with some of my memory cards, so the best and most expensive ones i have gotten, well half of them ( 2 ) died before i even got around to fill them one time :cautious: but luckily their replacements have all performed just fine, and Amazon almost had a new card in my mail box before i got to send back the broken one.

I of course had many more regular memory cards die on me, but none as fast as those 2 U3 cards ( trancend and PNY )

In a good system the memory card are always the weakest link, cheap systems and its a coin toss.
And sadly it don't matter much how expensive or kick ass brand memory card you get yourself, me i had reverse luck with some of my memory cards, so the best and most expensive ones i have gotten, well half of them ( 2 ) died before i even got around to fill them one time :cautious: but luckily their replacements have all performed just fine, and Amazon almost had a new card in my mail box before i got to send back the broken one.

I of course had many more regular memory cards die on me, but none as fast as those 2 U3 cards ( trancend and PNY )
Interesting! I do a lot with motorcycles and we're always running GoPro's and other action cameras and I've never had an SD card fail on me. Maybe the heat and constant usage?

Probably.
The Trancend ultimate of mine also died in a action camera.
If you want warranty for a memory card in dashcam use you are restricted to the endurance models from the different brands, the regular memoru cards are not covered for dashcam or CCTV camera use due to the write intensive nature.
but i have had problem free RMA on regular memory cards from local stores or Amazon in Germany or UK, i assume due to them not really knowing what they are dealing with and after all its not Amazon loosing out.
At one time all i had was kingston memory cards and 2 of them i think i did RMA on 2-3 times in a local store, i just did RMA form online and turned up in store with a RMA number, and then left with a new memory card 5 minutes later.
Still i think most of use use regular memory cards as they have been a bit cheaper than the endurance models, and i do think this gap are slowly closing now.
In general i see 2 years at least from my memory cards in dashcams, but i am also on early retirement and so a pension so i cant afford to drive as much as i would like to, so i do about 4-5 hours of driving every week.
And that's not much for a working man, not even in little old Denmark.

Probably.
The Trancend ultimate of mine also died in a action camera.
If you want warranty for a memory card in dashcam use you are restricted to the endurance models from the different brands, the regular memory cards are not covered for dashcam or CCTV camera use due to the write intensive nature.
but i have had problem free RMA on regular memory cards from local stores or Amazon in Germany or UK, i assume due to them not really knowing what they are dealing with and after all its not Amazon loosing out.
At one time all i had was kingston memory cards and 2 of them i think i did RMA on 2-3 times in a local store, i just did RMA form online and turned up in store with a RMA number, and then left with a new memory card 5 minutes later.
Still i think most of us use regular memory cards as they have been a bit cheaper than the endurance models, and i do think this gap are slowly closing now.
In general i see 2 years at least from my memory cards in dashcams, but i am also on early retirement and on a pension so i cant afford to drive as much as i would like to, so i do about 4-5 hours of driving every week.
And that's not much for a working man, not even in little old Denmark.

Great information! This is the first I've heard of 'endurance' model SD cards. I do usually use the 'extreme' models, I'll have to look to see if that's the same. On motorcycle's, the constant vibration (and if you crash) can adversely affect the memory cards, which is why I opt for the 'extreme' models. I am planning on getting a 256gb+ model SD card. Maybe that might help longevity since it's not re-writing quite as often. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify spending way too much on an SD card ;) I'll make sure to opt for the extended warranty on those cards if they really do stop working that often.

You are right about the larger cards, take longer to fill up and their life time are measured in write cycles, so common sense dictate a larger card should last longer.
As for myself i feel 64 GB are fine for each channel in a dashcam, and that's something like 8 hours of footage, and i never drive more than 2 X 1 hour drives, so i have a fair buffer if i forget on the day to bring the memory card to save a event.
I also started to go for the extreme memory cards due to their speed in my USB 3.0 card reader, with such a card in the camera acting as mass storage device i get like 10 - 15 MB/s transfer speeds, but put the memory card in my card reader and i get the full 80 MB/s speed, which are crucial not least if i have been using the action camera and recorded a lot.
In the dashcams transfer speeds matter little as i just grab a 3 minute segment here and there to share on youtube.

Not all of the newer dashcams support the big memory cards, but street guardian are testing this and even sell these big cards bundled with their cameras, and so you get a 2 year warranty on the card you get thru them just like for the camera if you REG it online.
I think ATM they are testing 512 GB memory cards in their models, 400 Gb cards they have been bundling with their cameras for a while.
So that's pretty nice by them i think, normally i think Americans would just get 1 year on a product like that,,, maybe more with some silly additional warranty package. EU dictate a 2 year warrenty on such things i believe, at least here in Denmark the norm on most things are 2 years and have been so for a few decades at least.

Most of the brands also say that on their extreme models is made for tough ass work, but apparently not as tough as dashcams or CCTV cameras can dish up, though you will see much more write intensive works in high end video or photo cameras, but go figure.

We can usually get an extended warranty through Amazon, then my credit card also offers an extended warranty beyond that, which is a great perk.

Hi all,

New to the dash cam scene. I think I'm convinced to get the SG over the F800 Pro that I initially decided on since there are features I would pay for that I would never use. 3 questions:

1. Is the SG9663DC Pro the top of the line SG model right now?

2. Are there any plans for an updated/new model to come out soon?

3. To run this in parking mode, what 3 wiring kit is needed?

Thank you.

Thank you for starting this thread. I have the regular DC and I've been pleased with it so I was going to get the same things for my wife's car. Then I asked myself the same question you're asking here.

Last edited:
1) Yes the SG9663DC PRO has only been out for 2 months, latest and greatest. (replaces SG9663DC)

2) The SG9663DR should be out by Spring. (DR = Dual Remote) It will have the same specs as the SG9663DC PRO only both cameras are remotely connected to a middle box, and you hide the main DVR in the glovebox instead of attaching it behind the rearview mirror. It will take longer to install the DR.
(same camera as the rear SG9663DCPRO only for both front and back)

I'm sure it's obvious to others, but why is the newer version superior if it takes longer to install but has the same specs? Will there still be a screen for viewing like the DC?

If you refer to the DR model, then its only superiority lie in you can place the heat generating main unit out of the sun, and so it should stand a better chance doing parking guard in the summer time parked in the sun.
The smaller remote cameras it have, those will also be beneficial if stealth in your installation are a must have.

The main unit will have a screen like all SG cameras, so you cant really bury it too deep in your car.

If you are thnking about the DC the never versions have upgraded sensors, the first model had a "lesser" sensor in the rear camera, the new models have the same sensor in both cameras.

If you refer to the DR model, then its only superiority lie in you can place the heat generating main unit out of the sun, and so it should stand a better chance doing parking guard in the summer time parked in the sun.
The smaller remote cameras it have, those will also be beneficial if stealth in your installation are a must have.

The main unit will have a screen like all SG cameras, so you cant really bury it too deep in your car.

If you are thnking about the DC the never versions have upgraded sensors, the first model had a "lesser" sensor in the rear camera, the new models have the same sensor in both cameras.
Thank you

1) Yes the SG9663DC PRO has only been out for 2 months, latest and greatest. (replaces SG9663DC)

2) The SG9663DR should be out by Spring. (DR = Dual Remote) It will have the same specs as the SG9663DC PRO only both cameras are remotely connected to a middle box, and you hide the main DVR in the glovebox instead of attaching it behind the rearview mirror. It will take longer to install the DR.
(same camera as the rear SG9663DCPRO only for both front and back)
running cooler is the main advantage, it will be more discreet but the install is a bit more involved as a result of that

Is the hardwire kit for the DR model going to be the same as for the SG9663DC PRO? Looking to install some other electronics and thought I'd ask to see if I could knock out the wiring this in as well, if possible. That way I'm not having to take the dash apart a second time.

Is the hardwire kit for the DR model going to be the same as for the SG9663DC PRO? Looking to install some other electronics and thought I'd ask to see if I could knock out the wiring this in as well, if possible. That way I'm not having to take the dash apart a second time.
same type, but different connection, would still be a different install anyway though, with the DC the hardwire kit is going to run up to the window to the front camera, that won't be the case with the DR

What about emergency recording with the DR? Is there going to be a similar emergency button to trigger manual recording or locking of video clips? Will there be a Bluetooth button similar to viofo's a129 for that purpose? I will be purchasing the new DR when it's released since I've been really enjoying my sg9663dc so far.

Back