Terrible night quality on my 512GW

Warren Chrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

So after getting my first 512GW replaced because of a focusing issue (nextbase confirmed it and replaced it) I am now having issues with my second camera -- or not?

Below is a typical screenshot of night time quality recordings, I've tried adjusting the lense (forgot the name, for exposure, etc) but it's always the same. Is this an issue or is this just what to expect from this particular camera?

In this particular image I am travelling roughly 10mph and my windscreen is always crystal clear (i'm a big car fanatic and take great pride in my car) and there is no rain, fog, etc

As you can see, the car on the left is parked and me passing you cannot even see the reg. plate even slightly

Attachments

• 97cd9f20d1cb5f3f449137bd3a50c227.jpg
    97cd9f20d1cb5f3f449137bd3a50c227.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 7
It always surprises me when some folk expect their cams to work as well at night as they do in full sun.
It's dark out there and no flash to light things up.

Tbh I find it a distraction when driving towards a vehicle with the dash cam flash on glad nextbase removed them from their range of latest dash cams as my old 402g had one on

It always surprises me when some folk expect their cams to work as well at night as they do in full sun.
It's dark out there and no flash to light things up.

No flash apart from my 6k super bright LED headlights with a 200m range ^_^

I get what you're saying but my £45 ebay MINI 0801S performed 3x better at night than this £160 dash cam so who can blame me for thinking something might be wrong haha (it's also my second one as the first one had to be replaced cus the lense was faulty)

I agree with this topic, in the past I had a dash cam that had infrared on it, worked great. I asked nextbase about this and they said that number plates were unreadable...I cannot believe nextbase haven’t incorporated this into any of their devices.

I've found that night time video quality differs a lot between firmware versions. In the latest firmware the framerate is lower with a corresponding lower shutter time to allow more light per frame. Older firmware does not adjust this based on the light sensor, keeps the framerate at the day level and has poor night time image quality as a result.

Back