Most critical point to review, please join me

dainova

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a scenario:
With Cobra CDR 835 got an accident, power shut off ( in other cases you camera can just fly away and got disconnected from usb). Result is: last most critical file got corrupted. Can not view it. Camera become useless.
Sure FBI still can do this, but I can't. for my camera when power goes off, you get a menu with 30sec countoudn <continue to record> yes/No. I'm sure that after accident nobody will push any buttons. So what happening with this industry?? Cobra support say it's by design it works and save files only with power, thought I suspect the person I talk to was not right.
I see that there is some small battery or probably Cap which can power unit for 10+ seconds, but it's still short of these default 30 sec Cobra hard coded.
I think it should be saved let day after 3 sec after power shut off, so any even old batter will handle this.

Anybody knows which camera can save last file in this scenario.. For me this is the most important point to review

Best
M

Last edited:
Back in the day i was lucky to fix corrupted files with the repair function in good old registrator viewer, it need the broken file + a functioning file from same camera.

In general the battery or capacitor in a dashcam are only there to finalize the last recording when power get disrupted by power off or camera getting disconnected from power in a crash situation.
Some battery cameras can actually record a few minutes on its internal battery, assuming for use to document aftermath of a fender bender, but really with a prefect fine camera in every phone why not use that to document aftermath.

Seem like Cobra are selling dashcams on basis of their reputation from other equipment such as radar detectors and scanners ASO
But it are probably not something they put much effort into, most likely just put their name on something like we have seen so many other brands do.

Seem like Cobra are selling dashcams on basis of their reputation from other equipment such as radar detectors and scanners ASO
But it are probably not something they put much effort into, most likely just put their name on something like we have seen so many other brands do.

this

I've checked on new camera and it good enough to last that 30+ seconds after power off, so file gets Ok, but after 1.5 year like in my case battery or Cap got weak and don't last that long, maybe they will announce battery/Cap free replaclement like Iphone did?)

Ideally if they could do option to adjust that <Continue to Record> time to let say 5 sec, or 0 sec so file will be saved right away. I think it could be done progrmatically.

Ideally if they could do option to adjust that <Continue to Record> time to let say 5 sec, or 0 sec so file will be saved right away. I think it could be done progrmatically.

that could be done in firmware, it would get to a point where it still wouldn't work though as it's a failing battery that is the root cause of the issue so would soon start having problems regardless

Back