Thikware Q800 Pro

danlat1415

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S - 2ch with B-124 battery hardwired
Hi,
Has anyone found any details of the newly announced Thinkware Q800 Pro QHD (2K, not 4K) dashcam?
I'm definitely interested in this, as they promote it as having good nightvision, which is a step up from the Blackvue DR900S which is 4K but has no nightvision (plus they've not started bombarding their app with adverts).
It also has a built-in CPL filter (polarizing filter).

It is noted that the Q800 Pro is scheduled for release in the second quarter of 2019.

They have put the user manual online, which has images of it in it;
https://fccid.io/2ADTG-Q800PRO/User-Manual/User-manual-4123675

But the difference from the current flagship of the F800 is. One important thing is the matrix in the front chamber. Now the 2 channel unit can work in QHD resolution (2K, 1440p) for front and FullHD for the rear. This was made possible through the use of not anyhow, but quite fresh and quite expensive 5Mpx matrix Sony Starvis IMX335 . In conjunction with the platform Ambarella A12. The same popular IMX291 is installed in the rear camera.

It should be noted that the IMX335 ( datasheet ) has already been used in its budget solution by the Chinese, in the 70Mai DashCam PRO, but did not succeed in video quality, judging by the commercials of the night originals. How successful the Thinkware experience with the new matrix will be, the final firmware in the new gadget will show. Among the drawbacks of the sensor, it is worth noting the lack of built-in support for WDR at the hardware level (there is only DOL HDR) and the ratio of 4: 3.

Here are details taken from;
http://www.thinkware.com/Buzz/newsView?idx=95

London, UK - 7th of Jan, 2019: THINKWARE, the dash cam company, today announces the launch of its latest, top of the range model, the Q800 PRO at this year CES. The Q800 PRO is an updated version of the extremely successful F800 PRO, which improves forward facing image resolution from full HD to QHD, the rear facing camera staying at full HD.

Users can easily control and manage their Q800 PRO dash cam with CLOUD connectivity and built-in WiFi via an iOS or Android smart phone, providing a truly convenient way to view, download, access or delete recorded footage as well as enable firmware and safety camera updates via the app. The Q800 PRO is an update of the F800 PRO, doubling the definition of the front camera. The THINKWARE CLOUD features include Vehicle Location, Geo-Fence alerts, Impact Notification and video upload when there is an impact greater than 3G in intensity.

Equipped with Sony Exmor R Starvis sensors for both front and rear cameras and the powerful Ambarella A12 processor, the Q800 PRO offers crystal clear QHD footage for the front camera and 1080p for the rear. As with the F800 PRO, the Q800 PRO is equipped with Super Night Vision 2.0 which means clearer night time footage both while driving and when parked with up to 10 times the brightness in dark environments.

Users will benefit from different recording modes; motion and impact detection or Time Lapse Photography at two frames per second for up to 72 hours. If a driver is leaving their car for a longer period of time, they could use the Energy Saving Parking Recording where the Q800 PRO will sleep until an impact is detected and will wake up within a second, to record for the next 20 seconds. The current drain in this mode is reduced by two thirds.

The Q800 PRO comes with a polarising filter to reduce dashboard reflections. It is packed with useful features including built-in A-GPS for embedding speed, time and location data into recorded videos. The location is remembered so it achieves instant GPS lock when switched on. There is also the option of connecting an external GPS antenna, to get around the shielding effect of heated or sun reflective windscreens.

The location data is used to provide safety camera alerts, which include speed cameras, red light cameras, average speed zones and mobile speed camera zones. The European version of the camera provides “Danger Zone” alerts in France, as well as safety camera alerts in the rest of Europe.

Format Free 2.0 Technology eliminates the need for manual reformatting of recorded video files on the micro SD memory card, extending memory card life and improving reliability.

Various safety features have also been included to protect drivers, including Road Safety Warning System, Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), Forward Collision Warning System(FCWS), and Urban Forward Collision Warning System(uFCWS). When the vehicle is stopped, the Q800 PRO offers Front Vehicle Departure Warning(FVDW).

The THINKWARE Q800 PRO Dash Cam is available from www.thinkwaredashcam.uk, RAC, Amazon and through independent retailers.

For more information visit the company’s website at
www.thinkware.com

Despite it saying they're available from the website above - it's currently not listed on Thinkware's website.

Last edited:
It looks good but I think I'll be waiting for their full 4K model that's due at end of 2019 (currently unnamed).
It has 4K 2160p 30fps, rear 2K 1440p, but they can be changed to 2k 1440p 60fps both front and rear, plus it's smaller than the current F800 Pro.

I've had the Q800 in my car for just over a week now, seems good so far! Apparently there will be more firmware soon to improve the image some more (although it looks good as it is). We will post on here when it's in stock in the UK.

Thanks.

Can you confirm any of the spec?
The press release said it was QHD from and HD rear (1440p front, 1080p rear) but it doesn't confirm the frame rate.
is it 30fps at those resolutions or 60fps?
Also, what is the encoding type? h264 or h265?

30fps and yeah 1440p front & 1080p rear (using my F800 Pro rear cam still) as for encoding i haven't paid much attention to be honest but the file sizes for the front are about 140mb now (used to be about 80ish) so suspect still h264.

Thanks.
I'm interested in it, so I'll see how it is when more details and video footage examples come out.

I may wait for the unnamed model which is due to have 1440p front and rear, but at 60fps.
I've got Blackvue DR900S and DR750S in my vehicles at the moment.
The 900S has very good day time video, but useless night time footage (almost completely black unless you're driving through a football stadium), and the 750S has average quality footage, and average night time footage.
I like them for their cloud features and parking timelapse modes (I use an external B-124 battery for them) - but i'm not wowed by either of them as they both have their flaws - so I'm on the lookout for a good replacement.

Hi Maddog,
can you share some video footage of the Q800?
As the Q800 is available for ordering in the first shops, I'm really interested in the quality.
Thank you!

br,
Sven

Seems theres a typo...London, UK - 7th of Jan, 2018 lol
Any word on pricing? Yeah if possible share us some video footage.

i ve watched the CES video and it looks to me there will be another model cappable of recording 4k.. am i right?

Welcome to DCT @vipercro :) Yes it appears that there will be 4K cams from them within the next year or less, but no official announcement yet so it's 'wait and see'.

Phil

Much noise in every video there.
None of those are in 2k .... only 1080p(thats what the web player shows). WHY?

@SawMaster Thanks:)

True..i had to download it to be able to play it in "source" quality.

Its better but still noisy much. I should wait for 4k i guess.... hopefully not for too long.

Last edited:
There will be a firmware update available for the Q800PRO towards the end of April, which will increase video quality, especially at night time :)

There will be a firmware update available for the Q800PRO towards the end of April, which will increase video quality, especially at night time :)

I see this is now available for purchase in the US (I hope it's not pre-order via blackbox?).

Do you have a video comparing 2 channel day and night time recordings of Q800Pro vs BV900S? Would love to see the night visions in comparison (especially the super night vision from Q800Pro).

Cheers

Last edited:
The Thinkware Q800PRO is available for immediate shipping (as of yesterday).

We'll have sample footage of the Q800PRO within the next couple of days but not a direct comparison for the time being. You'd have to view our sample videos for both separately, which will still get you a good idea of what's what.

The Thinkware Q800PRO is available for immediate shipping (as of yesterday).

We'll have sample footage of the Q800PRO within the next couple of days but not a direct comparison for the time being. You'd have to view our sample videos for both separately, which will still get you a good idea of what's what.

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing how it fares in low light (night time parking lot).

Back