Best SD Card for A118C?

EshanMistry73

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A118C & A118C V2
So i have a a118c and recently its stopped saving to my sd card, I'm presuming its dead. Looked up online and looks like other people have had issues with Sandisk and dash cams,

Any recommendations for SD Cards that will work well and hopefully not die within a few months?

Going to contact sandisk about the current one and see if i can get a replacement or something too.

go with a Transcend card, it's what the engineers use for debug and testing so compatibility is the best, they're also very good quality

While I don't dispute the quality and compatibility of Transcend cards be aware that they are not warranted for use in dash cams. To be fair many other brands, but not all, also exclude dash cam and other high intensity use from warranty coverage as well.

*The Limited Lifetime Warranty will not apply to any Transcend memory cards being used in write-intensive applications, including but not limited to (as determined by Transcend): (i) recursive / in-car recording devices, (ii) video monitoring and surveillance devices, (iii) continuous data logging devices like servers, or (iv) other excessive uses that exceed normal use.

While I don't dispute the quality and compatibility of Transcend cards be aware that they are not warranted for use in dash cams. To be fair many other brands, but not all, also exclude dash cam and other high intensity use from warranty coverage as well.

Transcend cards purchased through us or supplied with our cameras are covered under warranty (just mentioning in case anyone perceives that the cards we use have no warranty) for the same period as the camera

Transcend cards purchased through us or supplied with our cameras are covered under warranty (just mentioning in case anyone perceives that the cards we use have no warranty) for the same period as the camera
Just as a matter of curiosity do you have any idea what the failure rate is?

it's the lowest failure rate of any brand we have used since 2012
Will definitely keep that in mind when/if my PNY cards get to end-of-life.

Will definitely keep that in mind when/if my PNY cards get to end-of-life.

I have had good results with PNY cards also, I haven't used enough of them to be able to say what they're like, the Transcend cards I've spent over 200k buying stock so have a much larger sample group to go off with those

...I've spent over 200k buying stock...
Holy Batman - that's a lot of memory cards. :eek:

I'm personally very happy with PNY cards. I've been using them exclusively in my digital cameras/camcorders for longer than I can remember and almost exclusively (the exception being cards supplied by SG) in my dash cams as well. No failures - yet (fingers crossed...).

So far I'm happy with Samsung card, use it for over a year.

Going to contact sandisk about the current one and see if i can get a replacement or something too.

tip: don't tell them you used it in a dashcam. that instantly voids your warranty unless it's one of their expensive high endurance cards.

also when you call in to make the warranty claim, ask them if you can cut the card in half because "it contains sensitive data that you don't want anyone to be able to read". i did that when i had to warranty my 64gb card and they were fine with it. the only thing he said to do was "don't cut it where it says 64gb" which was easy. just take a photo of it for them before you cut it. ;)

my replacement 64gb card is working fine as rote storage in my smartphone.

Is there any update for reliability issues with pny/transcend cards or else? Need to replace an old nobrand card

I recall seeing something a couple weeks ago about a possible bad batch of Transcend cards lately regards another cam. All mine are older 400X versions and went well past expectations without a problem- I haven't tried any newer Transcends.

Phil

I recall seeing something a couple weeks ago about a possible bad batch of Transcend cards lately regards another cam. All mine are older 400X versions and went well past expectations without a problem- I haven't tried any newer Transcends.

Phil

the new black and silver Transcend cards are not good for dashcams, we just had to recall a bunch of them

the new black and silver Transcend cards are not good for dashcams, we just had to recall a bunch of them

That was what I was referring to, and I was hoping they would fix it. There are still some 400X cards available but those are getting scarce. I sure hope Transcend doesn't follow Lexar into the dumps for dashcam-suitable cards.

Phil

Back