inadequate charging with 3rd party cables, sigh

the block

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got the Dash Cam 55 for my birthday a few months ago and have been waiting for it to warm up so I can go out and do a proper installation. I've now tried two different ways, both of which do not allow the 55 to charge the battery faster than it uses it.

Method 1 involved tapping into a power wire (for my rear-view mirrror) in my overhead console with this setup from Amazon. I tapped into a wire that only had power with ignition, and it provided a USB port to plug into. At first I used a premium Anker micro USB cable, and then after I saw the 55 complaining about an aftermarket cable, I tried an official "Garmin" micro USB cable I had lying around. Both work the same, the battery can't keep up.

I thought, okay, that's weird. Let's try going directly from the fusebox down below. Maybe that will provide more power? So Method 2 involved this setup from Amazon where I added an add-a-fuse connection into an open, ignition-only fuse slot. I then grounded the other end to a bolt behind the brake pedal. Ran it up behind my weather stripping, then into the A pillar, and eventually above the paneling and finally down to the dash cam below the rear-view mirror. Get it plugged in, and the 55 continues complaining about an aftermarket cable.

I don't think I've ever had this much trouble with getting power to a basic consumer electronic device. This thing is super picky and I am getting frustrated by it.

Now I'm thinking, okay, for whatever reason maybe I do need an official Garmin hardwire cable. Maybe Garmin has found a way to force people into buying their overpriced accessories, whatever. I found this thing on the Best Buy website, but I don't care about parking mode. All I want is for the dash cam to turn on when the car starts, and turn off when the car turns off. This one looks like you have to connect it to the car's battery or something? What's going on here?

Will that Garmin cable work? Can I connect it like how I have been and just not use the parking mode I don't care about? Any help or wisdom would be appreciated. I'm kind of regretting not returning this for a different brand/model at this point.

Thanks

In my opinion the camera is not super picky. I've had no issues with the Garmin 55 and the optional parking mode cable. All works great. Money and time wasted on other cables. Garmin's electronics require Garmin compatible cables. As a result, the included power plug cable with the camera is required or use the optional parking mode cable. The third wire from the parking mode cable is to connect to Batt +12 for the camera to work in the parking mode. There is a lot going on in that square box of the parking mode cable, ie low Batt voltage shutoff protection, etc. It's not just a cable. Hence it's price. If you don't want to utilize the parking mode while utilizing the parking mode cable, then do not connect the Batt +12 wire, or if connected, turn off the camera manually when you shut off the ignition. The other option is to utilize the power cable that came with the camera. Modify it for hard wired installation (do not just cut the power plug off the cable). I find the parking mode to be a requirement for me after having my Ford Raptor backed into in a parking lot. Hit-and-run. $3200 repair.

The Garmin 55 is a great camera. I'm very happy with it. If you decide to not use it, I'll consider buying it from you, as I could use another one.

How would you modify the power cable for hard wiring Gary.

In my opinion the camera is not super picky. I've had no issues with the Garmin 55 and the optional parking mode cable. All works great. Money and time wasted on other cables. Garmin's electronics require Garmin compatible cables. As a result, the included power plug cable with the camera is required or use the optional parking mode cable. The third wire from the parking mode cable is to connect to Batt +12 for the camera to work in the parking mode. There is a lot going on in that square box of the parking mode cable, ie low Batt voltage shutoff protection, etc. It's not just a cable. Hence it's price. If you don't want to utilize the parking mode while utilizing the parking mode cable, then do not connect the Batt +12 wire, or if connected, turn off the camera manually when you shut off the ignition. The other option is to utilize the power cable that came with the camera. Modify it for hard wired installation (do not just cut the power plug off the cable). I find the parking mode to be a requirement for me after having my Ford Raptor backed into in a parking lot. Hit-and-run. $3200 repair.

The Garmin 55 is a great camera. I'm very happy with it. If you decide to not use it, I'll consider buying it from you, as I could use another one.

Alright I just ordered the official Garmin cable off Amazon. I'll give it a try and see how it works. Thanks

fat,
I have the optional parking mode cable, so I have no need to modify the power plug cable. Haven't taken the power plug apart. I speculate it has a voltage drop resistor or circuit board that needs to be left connected. The plug can be discarded.

So I just got the official Garmin cable installed. It does work, however I needed to twist the BAT and ACC cables together and into the add-a-fuse to get it to work. Also turned off parking mode in the menu of the dashcam. Simply not plugging in the BAT cable wasn't working. I read that tip from this guy over in Amazon reviews. Passing it along if anyone else stumbles upon this thread. Happy there is no more complaining about the cable and it charges now.

Back