Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Sometimes there can be incompatibility between cards and cameras, even if that card tests OK and works well in other cameras. I'm not saying that's the case here, just pointing out that unfortunately issues do exist for which the only practical solution is to change the card, ideally to a different manufacturer. You will find many such examples amongst all the dashcam threads on this forum, with some users asking others which brands are known to work reliably with their specific camera etc.

Sometimes there can be incompatibility between cards and cameras, even if that card tests OK and works well in other cameras. I'm not saying that's the case here, just pointing out that unfortunately issues do exist for which the only practical solution is to change the card, ideally to a different manufacturer. You will find many such examples amongst all the dashcam threads on this forum, with some users asking others which brands are known to work reliably with their specific camera etc.
that's why i asked you which one should i get that works properly with the Maxi , before I bought it:)

but anyway, it doesn't matter now. i'm testing one last time, with the latest beta fw and the same card. if i'm going to get the same issues, i've decided to return the Maxi for a refund

i've had similar issues with a Sandisk 32GB white endurance card . I'm not going to buy another card for the sake of figuring out which one actually works with the Maxi

that's why i asked you which one should i get that works properly with the Maxi , before I bought it:)
I hope I didn't recommend the Transcend :eek:

and i 'm still quite sure my issues aren't caused cos of the Transcend card

Mostly for my own peace of mind, I've set a Maxi running overnight on loop record (2.7k 60Mbps & latest beta FW) with my old Transcend 32GB U1 card.
If the recording fails I'll report it here, and buy @tomerr a new card!

y4mmYrFahBcsfBWjqsf92hkvuFYDqXKk1cfoMCjtbuSLn65VKJbmB-S-v4DE_lXhADONQmVn7WONtz5-XhcW0bLlz0O6v0keuNlptFIQ9Ic5N4_t57hwDqXTnka57W66v2Ou88KuZkDDZTzG5v7AHTrisFlT-UIovQ3qPYHFC6sFaunaQ2mBabm63v92Y8jkrGYDGVBneKbev4kKEVQDZl2LQ
y4mg8cI7LOKLJawD1ognJJhGZnca3N-9b_HR95wIYggHsisl3zusI8PJQXgZLYpSA0HllI3FBjvYtKRd0gkfbGcpeK-VCSey2krJ__fkEN_rsGkSD6hgxeePaOo0TwvbYu7fM1B_V7WIXahDGpoOy2RIQKOmMwDsORTaZtrAItfVTqglx5RlCsmzDPtVnOxPQ68ZVbsVc9A4TtWFM28jC7-zQ

i seriously doubt that it will fail or a card issue. but anyway, seems i bought a different card - no 300x on mine, it could be a newer version. no idea. it is fast enough from my tests

I buy u3 memory card and not u1 memory card because it slower card.

i seriously doubt that it will fail or a card issue. but anyway, seems i bought a different card - no 300x on mine, it could be a newer version. no idea. it is fast enough from my tests
Yes, your card does seem to be more than fast enough. Other members here know much more than me about card technology and the different types.

A simple web search yields 14.8 million results concerning this problem. This is not rocket science.
Here is a taster;
A definitive explanation from someone who actually "has a clue"
Not too bad a discussion
Nikon should do better on high priced items
In the tropics
Clearly the fault is NOT with the user. Sunscreen, weed killer - jeez, talk about clutching at straws....

As for Mobius being on the market 6 years, such a statement is meaningless. Firstly, there is no serious competition at this price point. Second, 6 years is nothing in business. You could have a serious competitor in less than 1 year from now - they are unlikely to give you advance warning. If your product has a flaw a good competitor will make a big deal of this.

As a project manager on mines, and now as a researcher, if I knew a product would deteriorate and fail after just 2 years of normal use the supplier and/or manufacturer would certainly be struck off the preferred supplier list. You may get away with it for 6 years, but you will not get away with for 12.

Amazing! You've been a member here at DCT for merely 24 hours and you've wasted no time launching into a self righteous and bombastic harangue full of amorphous claims, meaningless "documentation" and boasting of entirely unrelated expertise.

If this is your "MO", I predict you won't be around here too long.

You know, the internet is the perfect place to come up with zillions of complaints about a problem like this but unfortunately it is not a good place to discover all the instances where it hasn't occurred. The millions and millions of people whose soft coated products have not manifested the problem won't be reporting a problem that has never happened for them. That's the unfortunate critical thinking failure displayed by your logic here reporting on "search results".

"Clearly the fault is NOT with the user. Sunscreen, weed killer - jeez, talk about clutching at straws....

"
Really?

Even the links you provided prove otherwise, like the person who reported that the grip on her camera became sticky after she had used a DEET based insect repellent. Yep, that was in one of your links. You should maybe consider actually reading the links you post if you want to provide them as "evidence".

Or your link about "rubber" where the article discusses tapping rubber trees for latex and the use of synthetic rubber. Except that the "rubberized" finish on the Mobius is NOT rubber. It is an elastomer, which is sometimes incorrectly referred to as "rubber" even though it is not, primarily because it is not vulcanized. It is also a thin film spray coating, not a molded material like a true rubber material as discussed in your article.

As I've said earlier, these coating materials do indeed deteriorate and become sticky now and again and it can be a real PITA. I have experienced it myself a number of times but just never with a Mobius. But under most circumstances (as is mentioned in your own links) stickiness is caused by environmental factors. And this can be any number of things. Typical examples of environmental damage can be chemical contaminants such as the aforementioned insect repellent or sunscreen, exposure to ultra-violet light, atmospheric pollutants or body oils and sweat from one's hands. Body oils (such as found in fingerprints) can be especially damaging to "rubberized" plastics which have loose co-polymer bonds that allows such oils to penetrate. Body oils and perspiration are made up of salts, enzymes and fatty acids, which also create an acidic pH level which can cause damage that will eventually harm such coatings because chemical reactions ensue any time your sweat and fingerprints touch plastics as these unfriendly and corrosive pH oils build up and penetrate.

Another factor with some of these coatings comes down to a question of quality. As we all know, many products coming out of China are not as well made or durable as others. Generally speaking the "rubberized" coating on the Mobius has been of fairly high quality IMO. In fact, over the last six year period I have rarely, if ever seen a complaint about sticky Mobius cameras here on DCT or on RCGroups. Considering the popularity of the camera (many tens of thousands of Mobius cameras have been sold) along with the thousands and thousands of Mobius posts here on DCT forum and over at RCgroups, the fact then that this problem of stickiness is so rarely reported is certainly telling us something. And FWIW, I have certainly NEVER heard anyone report a Mobius turning into a "gelatinous mess". So, while I acknowledge that apparently stickiness on siliconized "rubber" coatings does indeed happen it is hardly the existential crisis you seem so hysterical about.

I suggest that instead of spending your time ranting about this problem on internet forums or going crazy trying to figure out how to remove the sticky, disintegrating, "gelatinous" rubber from your camera or indulging in spurious assertions, you permit me to offer up a simple and inexpensive remedy for you (or anyone else) who might be experiencing a sticky rubberized Mobius Action cam housing. Just go and buy a brand new Mobius replacement case for about 3 bucks USD and you'll be good as new in no time. Buy two, they're cheap! That way, in the highly unlikely event that even your new Mobius housing should melt into a gelatinous horror movie prop from hell, you'll already have a spare. The fact that you can easily buy an inexpensive replacement case for a Mobius Action cam is part and parcel with the genius of the Mobius concept.

Last edited:
Mostly for my own peace of mind, I've set a Maxi running overnight on loop record (2.7k 60Mbps & latest beta FW) with my old Transcend 32GB U1 card.
If the recording fails I'll report it here, and buy @tomerr a new card!
My Maxi ran for 18 hours continuously at 2.7k extreme quality 60Mbps using the Transcend U1 card. There were no recording issues, or any other problems such as focus shift or overheating. The 32GB card only holds an hour at 60Mbps, so it over-wrote the full contents 18 times.

yesterday evening it recorded fine on. i did change the settings to 2.7K fine quality / 1 min loop recording.
when i got home, turned on the wifi to check recordings and noticed..it switched to 1080p . very annoying

yesterday evening it recorded fine on. i did change the settings to 2.7K fine quality / 1 min loop recording.
when i got home, turned on the wifi to check recordings and noticed..it switched to 1080p . very annoying
As has been mentioned a couple of times, if the camera detects a problem with writing high bitrate to the memory card, then it automatically drops the resolution so that it can continue. I've not experienced that myself so I can't comment any more on how it works. I know you have tested your card and it appears to be a good one. Perhaps the issue is within the Maxi FW routine that monitors write speeds and adjusts the resolution? I could try a low speed CL4 card to see what happens.

As has been mentioned a couple of times, if the camera detects a problem with writing high bitrate to the memory card, then it automatically drops the resolution so that it can continue. I've not experienced that myself so I can't comment any more on how it works. I know you have tested your card and it appears to be a good one. Perhaps the issue is within the Maxi FW routine that monitors write speeds and adjusts the resolution? I could try a low speed CL4 card to see what happens.
on what fw version did you run your latest test on? though i don't think keeping the camera recording at home is the same as while driving, there's much more "info" during real world use coming.
and yes, i understood already the resolution drop the Maxi does
btw, yesterday's recordings were done with the latest beta fw i have - 2.22

on what fw version did you run your latest test on? though i don't think keeping the camera recording at home is the same as while driving, there's much more "info" during real world use coming.
and yes, i understood already the resolution drop the Maxi does
btw, yesterday's recordings were done with the latest beta fw i have - 2.22
I did the test on FW2.22. The camera was in the car, parked for most of the 18hr test including overnight. However the write speed to the card is almost the same at night or in fast-moving driving - it does not vary much at all. 431MB/minute, +/- 50KB variance.

and again, exact same ****up: recorded okay one way, got back to the car after a couple of hours - it seem to be recording and then nothing. got home, zero kb file on the card. @Mobius I give up -
this camera is obviously not designed well enough to be working in a car environment. at least not with the current firmware (or with my car. which is 2 years old. you decide)

Last edited:
and again, exact same ****up: recorded okay one way, got back to the car after a couple of hours - it seem to be recording and then nothing. got home, zero kb file on the card. @Mobius I give up -
this camera is obviously not designed well enough to be working in a car environment. at least not with the current firmware (or with my car. which is 2 years old. you decide)

I don't think the camera has any major flaws, you may have faulty hardware though, it happens

Back