Roccbox or Koda?

crabu2

Reaction score
Country
United States
As some of you know.... I started out baking bread a couple months ago.. I then started using my bread machine to make pizza dough and started making pizza. Now I'm looking to get a small pizza oven for Neapolitan pizzas because I saw an ad for Ooni's new Koda oven.

When I tried to research the Koda, another oven kept popping up, the Roccbox. The problem is, it's double the price.. but if it's that much better, I'll fork out the cash now for a quality oven if it's worth it.

For those that have used these types of ovens, should I get the Roccbox or the Koda? I'm not interested in any other oven. It's down to these two because of portability and styling. I do have a Koda on order, but it's backordered for two weeks, so I have time to cancel.

What do you say? Roccbox or Koda and why?

Thanks!

What is the advantage of using a pizza oven?

I always use my microwave oven - just set it to maximum temperature (250°C), it's quick to warm up and the turntable ensures even cooking.

What is the advantage of using a pizza oven?

I always use my microwave oven - just set it to maximum temperature (250°C), it's quick to warm up and the turntable ensures even cooking.

Microwave? How does one cook a fresh dough pizza in a microwave?

BTW, for neapolitan pizza, you want oven temps of 420C+

Just about as hot as the gates of hell. :)

Microwave? How does one cook a fresh dough pizza in a microwave?

BTW, for neapolitan pizza, you want oven temps of 420C+
It is a combination microwave, only use microwaves to warm the dough enough for the yeast to do it's job, then use the preheated fan oven setting to actually cook the pizza, and the grill to brown the top, then the only issue is browning the bottom fast enough to not overcook the insides, I normally sit it on a thin metal plate and the fan oven gets the heat through fast enough for my liking, but there are alternatives:
https://slice.seriouseats.com/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html . Of course this doesn't give the taste of wood smoke that a genuine Italian pizza should have, and I probably make it too thick.

Not sure why 420C is needed other than for speed, I can see that it is desirable in a restaurant kitchen for time efficiency.

I did try there..

I thought some of the forum links referring to the two ovens you are talking about were interesting but I there isn't all that much info and the Roccbox thread hasn't been updated in a while. I guess I recommended the pizza making forum because this is a dash cam forum, but who knows maybe you'll get a better response here, so why not give it a shot? :)

This class of oven is very interesting. I've been aware of these ovens but never looked into them too closely since I don't bake pizza at home too often. When I do I use a 16 inch pizza stone on an upper rack in a gas kitchen oven and the results are excellent but it's not a true pizza oven of course. But a good quality pizza stone and pizza peel is a good budget approach to home baked pizza that works well if one is only a casual pizza chef.

Your thread here prompted me to look at both the Ooni web site and the Roccbox web site and I was pretty amazed by the products they offer, especially Roccbox who seems to be bringing ancient oven design into the twenty first century. For anyone with enough disposable income to burn their new Black Edition series ovens look pretty cool. Of course, if you have enough cash to pay $5000-10,000 or more for a backyard pizza oven you probably just pick the size you want and not worry about the price. :happy:

Anyway, if it were me and I had plenty of money and expected to use either of the two ovens mentioned in this oven in the title of this thread often enough I think I would go for the Roccbox. It looks very well made and I like that it can run on gas or wood and comes with everything you'd need to do both. I'll bet both do a decent job though so twice the price may not be worth it.

Then again, even though they seem similar maybe a comparison of the Roccbox and the Koda isn't the best approach because of the price difference. I notice that Ooni makes a model called the
Unni Pro that is the same price as the Roccbox and it burns wood, charcoal, pellets or gas (except the gas or pellet burner attachments cost extra). FWIW, the Uuni Pro beat out the Roccbox in THIS comparison review.

Last edited:
Based on my research, I think I'd prefer the Roccbox over the Koda. But at double the price, it's hard for me to justify.

My reason for the Roccbox is mostly the build qualityand a slightly better design, IMHO. I think the Roccbox has slightly less temp variance between the front and back of the oven, it's got a higher dome/opening, and it's built like a tank. I've found a few posts where someone dropped their Roccbox and they say nothing happened.

The Koda is half the price and weight. So it's more portable and affordable. As much as I like the Roccbox's peel, I already have one, and again, the dang price... I was able to get mine ordered for $239.. But if the Roccbox is actually worth $600, I'd rather have it.. People are using it commercially, and they're holding up fine..... at least that's what they're saying.

Ooni Pro is good, but it's a bit bulky to move around.. But then again, I can make a 16 inch pizza in it..

I wish there was more info on the Koda, but it just seems to new.... Unless something odd comes up, I guess I'll stick with the Koda..

So, which one to pick if you want to take it to the trip?

Possibility of breaking down a Roccbox is less but it's heavier to carry on your back. On another hand, Ooni is lighter but not very ergonomic... I've read somewhere that it could be successfully used not only for pizza. Though I haven't ever tried any myself. Pizzaovenradar telling that Ooni Koda is best for taking it somewhere farther than your backyard and it seems legit to me.

Why in the world I'd take a mini-oven to a hiking trip? I dunno, just want to try. If I won't break it in that adventure, I'll look at how it'll survive the first test and if it will travel with me again or it will be left like stuff for a picknick.

Still, recommendations appreciated.

Back