Parking Mode and Hard Wire Kit

zephiris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm planning to order the SGGCX2PRO with the rear camera real soon, and I have some questions about the parking mode and hard wire kit.

I have the 2013 Accord, and I can't tell which fuse kit I need for my car. Generally which fuse do people usually tap into? And how much does it affect the battery?

Thanks

It is a crap shoot what fuses to tap into it seem, but you will want to stay well clear of essential fuses like airbags - engine management and so on.
The exact fuses the Accord use i am sure some one will be here to help with soon, there seem to be some sites with things like that listed.

With a fresh well working battery ( of course its size have a say ) you will get plenty of parking mode time, i have a mini car with a mini battery and its from 2012, but with a 12.2 V cut off i just get 8 hours or so or parking mode ( not using a SG camera got a K2S "prototype" dual channel camera as the only one with parking guard in my car )
With the no doubt larger battery of the accord ( mine are just 47 AH ) you will get a lot more. You can maybe also go down to 12 V cut off, i will do that too here in the summer period.
I will also get a larger 60 AH battery to help with things in the future.

The street guardian HW kit have both low voltage cut off, and a build in timer, personally when i get to sample the SG kit i will just be using 0.5 - 1 hour on the timer, as i rarely park for longer in a place where i or my friend don't have CCTV on the car.
you have to drive to match your parking guard usage, so if you are parked like 23 hours a day and just drive 1 hour it will be hard for the car to keep up then.
But a few hours of driving every day should do fine in covering the "leakage" of parking mode the rest of the day, after all a car do charge the battery a whole lot harder than a dashcam discgharge.

It is a crap shoot what fuses to tap into it seem, but you will want to stay well clear of essential fuses like airbags - engine management and so on.
The exact fuses the Accord use i am sure some one will be here to help with soon, there seem to be some sites with things like that listed.

With a fresh well working battery ( of course its size have a say ) you will get plenty of parking mode time, i have a mini car with a mini battery and its from 2012, but with a 12.2 V cut off i just get 8 hours or so or parking mode ( not using a SG camera got a K2S "prototype" dual channel camera as the only one with parking guard in my car )
With the no doubt larger battery of the accord ( mine are just 47 AH ) you will get a lot more. You can maybe also go down to 12 V cut off, i will do that too here in the summer period.
I will also get a larger 60 AH battery to help with things in the future.

The street guardian HW kit have both low voltage cut off, and a build in timer, personally when i get to sample the SG kit i will just be using 0.5 - 1 hour on the timer, as i rarely park for longer in a place where i or my friend don't have CCTV on the car.
you have to drive to match your parking guard usage, so if you are parked like 23 hours a day and just drive 1 hour it will be hard for the car to keep up then.
But a few hours of driving every day should do fine in covering the "leakage" of parking mode the rest of the day, after all a car do charge the battery a whole lot harder than a dashcam discgharge.

I tend to drive 2-3 hours a day total for getting to and from work. Usually park in the lot at work or in the driveway at home. Now I'm starting to wonder if I need it or not, I rarely go out to places.

Same here looking at my dashcam footage for the past 10 years or so i have found i am very predictable in the places i go and the routes i drive.
At home i have my own CCTV on the car parked in the back yard, it is still needed as the back yard are pretty dark at night, though the new PIR led light do help a little.
My friend also have CCTV at his place, but i park in his driveway and he live right next to a highway so no one stop they buzz by at 80 km/h.
But i would not trust just public CCTV in places were i park, so i will get and use parking guard, but as i said 1 hour take care of all my parking needs for shopping ASO, and if i go to the cinema i can always rise the parking timer for that one time.
The reason why i have CCTV on my car is that when i moved to this town i experiences several cases of vandalism, first parking on the street side i got my SUV keyed along one side days before i was to sell it.
So i got my current little car and also parking on the street side i got the front passenger side door glass broken, nothing was stolen in the car.
I then moved to park in the back yard, where i have had some one throw a D cell battery high in the air and it landing on my car roof, so i have a dent there now.

Last week i noticed a 1/5 inch deep and 2-3 inches long dent on the lower part of my driver side door where it have a sharp bend in the metal, clearly someone did something wrong where i have been parking, sadly this was before i start to test with the parking features of the K2S cameras i was sent to test on. :mad:
So parking guard are nice indeed, but at home i would have CCTV on my house / driveway, i had so when i was a house owner and i am now that i live in a 2 floor apartment.

And with the hard wire ( which can also be done with the PSU shipping with the camera just not parking guard ) then you have your dash / console socket free for other things.
ATM i have 9 cameras in my car and my console lighter socket are still not in use, but i have also had to make a expansion to test on all these cameras and gadgets.
So my glove box are renamed to my power station as i have a large number of 2 A USB ports and 12 V sockets down there.

Thanks for the information. The parking mode, does it start when it's triggered, and records for whatever time it's set to?

The SG kits are triggered by key on / off to change in between the parking or normal mode, if you also have the timer on then its countdown will also start when you key off your car.
Other brands use G-sensor to trigger the camera in and out of parking mode, this way you can make do with a 2 wire hard wire kit.
The K2S i am currently testing on do this, but also have options in its menu to do it like SG do with their HW kit, but then you like SG need a dedicated 3 wire kit, ATM i just use 2 wires coming off a OBD adapter that have low voltage cut off in it too.
I am not totally on board with what parking modes the SG cameras use, as far as i can tell they support at least time lapse parking mode with 1 - 5 FPS being recorded all the time, but i think motion or G-sensor triggered are also a option as well as a allays recording 1080/30 but then at a lower bitrate to limit heat generation when parked.

Much looking forward to sample new SG products and their hard wire kit. but i will have to wait some months yet for that i think.
ATM i run 3 of their models on my windscreen, one of which are the first version of the DC camera.

I have the 2013 Accord, and I can't tell which fuse kit I need for my car. Generally which fuse do people usually tap into? And how much does it affect the battery?

In my Honda CR-V MY2014 (European) I used #28 fuse slot for ACC and #45 fuse slot for constant power. In #28 power appears after engine starts.
#28 fuse was empty before connecting fuse bypass.
#45 fuse slot (constant power) is socket for rear right power window. Power windows circuits in most Honda cars are powered all the time. It's not possible to close/open windows when car is parked, because controls are disabled, but power is supplied all the time.

Your Accord probably use low profile fuses, so you need two fuse bypass like this:
img_20190203_124911-jpg.44672

I have the 2013 Accord, and I can't tell which fuse kit I need for my car.

the cable can be bought as a kit with the three sets of the most common fuse taps for a little extra, @Street Guardian USA would be able to advise the part number to look for to get that

the cable can be bought as a kit with the three sets of the most common fuse taps for a little extra, @Street Guardian USA would be able to advise the part number to look for to get that

Sam (@Street Guardian Canada) is creating a new SGX2HW-TAPKIT listing for both our USA/Canada stores that will combine the most popular fuse taps for just $10 more. It will be a small convenience bundle up-charge for those that can’t easily identify which type fuse taps they need before ordering but want to order right away. It’s not ready yet but will be shortly.

Last edited:
Sam (@Street Guardian Canada) is creating a new SGX2HW-TAPKIT listing for both our USA/Canada stores that will combine the most popular fuse taps for just $5 more. It will be a small convenience bundle up-charge for those that can’t easily identify which type fuse taps they need before ordering but want to order right away. It’s not ready yet but will be shortly.
Nice bundle as some trucks we use ( 2019 Chevrolet Colorado PU) use two types. Micro 2 @ Micro 3 (ATL)

We weren’t going to include Micro 3 in the new SGX2HW-TAPKIT all in one kit but I guess we should. It will need to be +$10 though since Micro 3 is actually the highest cost for us. It’s not as popular but growing.

ATO (large)
Mini ATO
Mini ATO Low Profile
Micro 2
Micro 3

Last edited:
We weren’t going to include Micro 3 in the new SGX2HW-TAPKIT all in one kit but I guess we should. It will need to be +$10 though since Micro 3 is actually the highest cost for us. It’s not as popular but growing.

Mini ATO
Mini ATO Low Profile
Micro 2
Micro 3
We were surprised that those trucks used both, and ordered our first tap from you. It works perfectly as expected. Great job on stocking and fast shipping!

We were surprised that those trucks used both

me too, Micro3 has pretty much been a Ford thing, didn't know Chevrolet were using them now also, that will likely increase the amount of Micro3 fuses being used, that would be a good thing though as they're over twice as expensive as the other models which I'm sure is more to do with sales volumes rather than technical reasons

me too, Micro3 has pretty much been a Ford thing, didn't know Chevrolet were using them now also, that will likely increase the amount of Micro3 fuses being used, that would be a good thing though as they're over twice as expensive as the other models which I'm sure is more to do with sales volumes rather than technical reasons
Agree. Also installation on an extended cab for the rear camera cable was via the floorboard with approximately a foot to spare. So the included cable is perfect for that model.

The SG kits are triggered by key on / off to change in between the parking or normal mode, if you also have the timer on then its countdown will also start when you key off your car.
Other brands use G-sensor to trigger the camera in and out of parking mode, this way you can make do with a 2 wire hard wire kit.
The K2S i am currently testing on do this, but also have options in its menu to do it like SG do with their HW kit, but then you like SG need a dedicated 3 wire kit, ATM i just use 2 wires coming off a OBD adapter that have low voltage cut off in it too.
I am not totally on board with what parking modes the SG cameras use, as far as i can tell they support at least time lapse parking mode with 1 - 5 FPS being recorded all the time, but i think motion or G-sensor triggered are also a option as well as a allays recording 1080/30 but then at a lower bitrate to limit heat generation when parked.

Much looking forward to sample new SG products and their hard wire kit. but i will have to wait some months yet for that i think.
ATM i run 3 of their models on my windscreen, one of which are the first version of the DC camera.

I apologize if I'm understanding this wrong, are you saying that the camera is always on, and just records when something happens? Does it record on both the front and back if something happens?

In my Honda CR-V MY2014 (European) I used #28 fuse slot for ACC and #45 fuse slot for constant power. In #28 power appears after engine starts.
#28 fuse was empty before connecting fuse bypass.
#45 fuse slot (constant power) is socket for rear right power window. Power windows circuits in most Honda cars are powered all the time. It's not possible to close/open windows when car is parked, because controls are disabled, but power is supplied all the time.

Your Accord probably use low profile fuses, so you need two fuse bypass like this:
img_20190203_124911-jpg.44672

Thanks, I just gone out to my car and pulled one out and took a look, it's the Mini ATO Low Profile like you said.

Sam (@Street Guardian Canada) is creating a new SGX2HW-TAPKIT listing for both our USA/Canada stores that will combine the most popular fuse taps for just $10 more. It will be a small convenience bundle up-charge for those that can’t easily identify which type fuse taps they need before ordering but want to order right away. It’s not ready yet but will be shortly.

I was looking on the SG website, and I'm not sure what I'm suppose to pick for the 2nd fuse type. Should I pick Mini ATO Lower Profile for both?

I was looking at the manual for my car in regards to the interior fuse box, but I'm not sure what which I should use. Below is an image of what's available for my car.

Thanks

Do you have a multimeter? If not I suggest picking one up. Makes it a lot easier to check not just fuses but a million other things. For example, you can’t take it for granted that they’re all going to be 12V, just because they cause a test light to come on.

There are probably a ton of both always-on and switched fuses. If I had to guess, I’d say parking lights (27) would be a good choice for always-on, and 37 seems like a high-percentage shot for switched power.

Yes in parking mode the camera are always on and using a few milliamps, it don't really matter much in regard to power usage if the camera are recording say time lapse parking mode, or actual 1080/30p footage.
Yes dual cameras record and detect ( if you use that ) motion on both cameras, my car using the K2S test camera recorded this footage while parked at my friends house yesterday, his sister arriving.

As it is now that camera drop to 720p in parking mode though i cant see why it would need to do that, maybe they haven't gotten that far with the firmware yet.

But motion detect are a flawed mode for parking, cuz it don't take much to set it off, and as the other end of my car was facing the highway my friend live right next to, for the 8 hours or so we was putting up his new greenhouse it made a hell of a lot event recordings.
A finely tuned G-sensor will be more usable, and create less false event recordings.
Also these sensor trigger ( motion or G-sensor ) you would want the camera to have a buffer so you get a few seconds from before the triggering event, currently my test camera don't have that, but i think its just a matter of firmware on that particular camera.
Lately it seem like it have become very popular to do regular 1080/30 FPS recording while parked, but then to lower heat generation within the camera itself the parking mode are on a much lower bitrate ( which are fine as long as there are not fast movement to deal with )
The IMO big plus to this approach are you still get sound recorded too, something you will miss if you use time lapse for parking mode. Also as it is recording all the time, then no need for a buffer as what is before the event will also be locked away in a read only file.

In general event files for parking guard go in a RO folder ( read only ) so that folder have to fill up before the camera start to overwrite those event files, just like a dashcam also do with regular footage when the memory card are full.
And don't worry with a proper size memory card ( i recommend at least 64 GB for each camera in a system ) you will have room for a lot of event footage, only something like motion detect in a high event scenario will be triggering so many events that it might be a problem.
Anyway motion detect are not recommended to use for parking mode.
The low bitrate 1080/30 parking mode event files are due to the low bitrate also a lot smaller than regular high bitrate recordings, as a rule of thumb we say a dashcam generate about 100 MB every minute for each camera for regular high bitrate recording ( around 20 mbits ) so low bitrate parking mode which are around 4 mbits will be significant smaller files and so room for much more video in a given size of memory.

I think i would focus on some of the 10 A fuses, if you have it use a multi-meter to test which fuses are live or not, using a old style bulb detector pen are not recommended on modern cars.
I personally use a cheap Chinese multi-meter from the dollar store.
And do remember many new cars keep some circuits on for a while after you have turned off the car, so best to open the door turn off the car and let it sit for a while before you start to figure out which fuses are live always and which are on with the turn of the key.

Street guardians hard wire kit have 3 wires.
First + wire need to be on a ACC fuse that come on / of with the car engine ( thats so to say the detector wire that determine if the camera go into parking mode or regular drive mode )
Second + wire go on a always on fuse, it is thru this one your camera are powered when parked as the ACC + wire are of course off when parked.
And then last the negative wire, that provide - 12 V no matter what mode the camera are in, be sure to use a screw that actually have a connection to the car chassis.

Last edited:
Back