Power Cable

zephiris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I was wondering if it is required to use the power cable that came with the SGGCX2PRO, or can I use a USB cable connected to a USB car charger. I saw a small block attached to the provided power cable, so I wasn't sure if it's required to use that one, or can I use another one.

Thanks

It's best to use the included cigarette power adapter or the SGX2HW hardwire kit. We've had several reports of the camera acting wonky when used with 3rd party generic USB cables connected to generic USB car chargers. (not enough copper in the wires, noisy power supply etc)

It's best to use the included cigarette power adapter or the SGX2HW hardwire kit. We've had several reports of the camera acting wonky when used with 3rd party generic USB cables connected to generic USB car chargers. (not enough copper in the wires, noisy power supply etc)
Okay, thanks for confirming.

The block on the power cable are the PSU itself changing 12 V to 5 V, SG ( and other ) have gone this route, cuz if you don't want to use the power cable with the cigarette lighter plug in your car, then you can snip off the lighter plug and then wire the 2 wires into any 12 V AAC power source.
Going this route however you can not use parking mode features as that require the dedicated hard wire kit, but it is a nice option if you want your cigarette lighter in the dash free for other stuff.
You can also use another brand USB charger and cable, but you better go with a good one with 2 A on the port you plan on plugging the camera into.
And you still run the risk of noise from the charger.

Quite a few times we have seen people using 3 party chargers or in cases build in car USB ports which are often too weak to run a dashcam.
And so in our effort to try and help people we have instigated our troubleshooting procedure, and some times gotten nowhere, until it then by chance are found out that its not the original charger in use.
But as i said you can use a 3 party one, but it got to be a good brand one as just cuz it say 2 A don't always mean 2 A in the real world.
And the car charger market are just about as big a mess as the general dashcam market.

In general if you encounter problems with a dashcam on a 3 party power source, it is a good idea to try the original one.

What is the AWG used in the supplied power cable?

Quite a few times we have seen people using 3 party chargers or in cases build in car USB ports which are often too weak to run a dashcam.
And so in our effort to try and help people we have instigated our troubleshooting procedure, and some times gotten nowhere, until it then by chance are found out that its not the original charger in use.
But as i said you can use a 3 party one, but it got to be a good brand one as just cuz it say 2 A don't always mean 2 A in the real world.
And the car charger market are just about as big a mess as the general dashcam market.

In general if you encounter problems with a dashcam on a 3 party power source, it is a good idea to try the original one.

I'm using an Aukey or Ankey one, had 1 USB port and 1 Type-C port, can't remember the specs off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Most likely this is a Aukey, this is a good brand, and maybe you are using CC-Y9.
But there is another intermediate link - a USB cable - if it is of low quality and has a small wire thickness, the voltage loss in the cable can be large.
No wonder Dashmellow asked about the cross section of the wires (AWG)
PS: The ideal wire size for power supply is 20 AWG, or so

Most likely this is a Aukey, this is a good brand, and maybe you are using CC-Y9.
But there is another intermediate link - a USB cable - if it is of low quality and has a small wire thickness, the voltage loss in the cable can be large.
No wonder Dashmellow asked about the cross section of the wires (AWG)
PS: The ideal wire size for power supply is 20 AWG, or so

Yes, that's why I asked. For one thing, it can be very difficult to find aftermarket cables that have sufficiently thick power wires. The best I've found are from Monoprice but they have 24AWG power wires and some cameras like the Viofos for instance require at least 22AWG to perform properly.

What is the AWG used in the supplied power cable?

I was hoping @Street Guardian USA might answer my question from earlier in the day but since that hasn't happened, perhaps @jokiin will provide an answer. I've been considering purchasing a SGGCX2PRO as a replacement for my failing SG9665GC which has exhibited all sorts of unresolved problems for months now but I would want to have the ability to run the camera off a power bank along with my other 4 cameras as I have been doing for several years now.

Last edited:
the included power cable is 26AWG, it only needed 28AWG but we went up a gauge anyway

Thanks jokiin! That's good news because if I were to buy a SGGCX2PRO my existing 24AWG cable and power supply would work.

One question. Would adding the second remote camera affect the issue of power supply wire gauge at all?

power supply is important, not just the wire gauge, particularly if using 2 channel, we have had support tickets from people with issues that had added the the second camera and problems only starting when used 2 channel only to find out they were using a different power supply, what you have may be ok but hard to know for sure without trying it, running two channel they are more susceptible to voltage sag, the wire is important of course but the power supply also needs to be up to the task of handling the increased load

power supply is important, not just the wire gauge, particularly if using 2 channel, we have had support tickets from people with issues that had added the the second camera and problems only starting when used 2 channel only to find out they were using a different power supply, what you have may be ok but hard to know for sure without trying it, running two channel they are more susceptible to voltage sag, the wire is important of course but the power supply also needs to be up to the task of handling the increased load

My truck has two side by side 12V cig ports and as a result I've experimented with various USB power cig adapters for quite some time. If you purchase name brand ones of decent quality with adequate current output and stable, well regulated voltage they work as well as any good quality manufacturer supplied dash cam power supply. The 24AWG USB cables I use also have a ferrite bead and this too has been a good way to go. So far, from what you say it sounds like this set-up should work ok.

it may run it, I'm not sure it would be ideal though as the parking modes we use are a lot easier on the camera than running them in regular recording mode while parked, that's not really something they're designed to do, as I'm sure you can understand the camera will handle running in a low frame rate or low bitrate parking mode better than it will running in a normal high bitrate mode while parked, particularly in the warmer months

Running four cameras in full time "parking mode" as I do makes hard wiring impossible and that's why I use two power banks. Then again, if this scheme doesn't turn out to work I might be able to hard wire an SGGCXPRO for front and rear and stick with a power bank for my lateral facing cameras. If I wanted to continue to use only power banks though as I've been doing for the last 4 years, it sounds like this might be worth a try at least.

yeah I understand where you're coming from, your setup isn't typical of most so there are some challenges there

yeah I understand where you're coming from, your setup isn't typical of most so there are some challenges there

I know my set-up is a bit different than most but once you try four camera 360º (plus) coverage, and especially 360º full time parking coverage, there's no going back. :smug:

Back