Garmin 55- On rear windshield

LostAngel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can the Garmin 55 be used as a rear windshield camera?

Welcome to DCT :)
Yes, the Garmin or any other dashcam can be fitted there. You may find an issue getting power to it unless you have a source close enough. Also operating the cam may be awkward if that power source ian't switched on and off with the car ignition or through a phone app. I run a single cam in the rear but mine is wired to a switch I installed up front- not hard to do but not "plug and play" simple like using the same cam in front.

Phil

I always wanted to do that - have 55 pointed front and next to it 65W pointed back.

Here is my Garmin 55 mounted as a rear camera. My Toyota has a rear cigarette lighter plug that is switched off when key is out. I moved the plug to behind the body panel and zip tied to keep it tight so nobody could accidentally knock the power adapter loose by stuffing groceries or cargo into the trunk. If you already have two single-channel dashcams I can't think of a good reason to purchase a dual-channel camera for a front/rear setup. Maybe if you instead want a taxi cam for the cabin then sure, you need IR lights so buy a Viofo dual-channel IR camera or similar.

I have separate 55's on the front and rear glass of my Ford F-150 Raptor. Both work great.

I have separate 55's on the front and rear glass of my Ford F-150 Raptor. Both work great.

Nice mounting on the rear. Where and how are you powering the rear Garmin? I have a cigarette plug in the very back of my Toyota Highlander. I even removed the plug and hide everything behind the plastic panel. After a few months of this setup, I noticed that when I slam my rear hatch closed, the garmin moves and points more towards the sky, so once a week I need to repoint it to face more downwards to get very little sky and more street.

I utilized the optional Garmin 3 wire hard mount power cable that is needed for parked operation. It's 13' long so its length made it forward to the front passenger kick panel fuse array via up and under the edge of the headliner over the doors, and down the 'A' piller behind the door gasket. The optional cable needs battery +12, ignition +12, and of course ground.

Back