Q800 Pro horrible video quality?

tonyhh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just installed my q800 pro and it seems that the video quality is absolute garbage? i updated the firmware and removed the sticker.

is this really 2k??

i deleted the daytime video but heres a nighttime one..i cant even see the license plates near me. is it supposed to be this bad? ill upload a daytime one tomorrow.

You literally cannot see the street signs or license plates...what the hell?

they're said to be working on an update, whether or not they can improve it is something you'll need to wait and see I guess, it does look how these typically look though so I don't think you have a faulty product

On another thread a member said they released a new version yesterday

he mentioned updating the firmware in the first post, no mention of which version was used for the samples provided, it looks as expected though
Which makes me nervous since mine is supposed to be installed this week. Am now having second thoughts about it..

I have v1.01.01 , the latest version. I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe I need that lens filter they sell seperately? Or my windshield needs to be cleaned?

I spent 300$ on this and 150$ for the install and it looks like its 720p quality. very sad. and the hotspot doesnt work, cloud doesnt work no matter what. wifi disconnects every 10 minutes while driving.

I'm gonna give it a week or so and then return if Im not content. Ill wait for a 4k one. i will try lowering the brightness through settings and upload another video tomorro.

I do hope the case is a prototype as well, as this looks far from discrete :

I have v1.01.01 , the latest version. I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe I need that lens filter they sell seperately? Or my windshield needs to be cleaned?

I spent 300$ on this and 150$ for the install and it looks like its 720p quality. very sad. and the hotspot doesnt work, cloud doesnt work no matter what. wifi disconnects every 10 minutes while driving.

I'm gonna give it a week or so and then return if Im not content. Ill wait for a 4k one. i will try lowering the brightness through settings and upload another video tomorro.
I saw the CES show YouTube video where Thinkware talked about their new stuff coming out. They said there’s no release date for the 4K yet and I needed something in the meantime since I just got a new car and am gonna start driving for work soon. I spent the extra money on Q800 PRO because I figured I’d be wasting money on a cheap one that doesn’t work well enough. Here’s a a review from a user Jeremy Wong. He says he has no image quality or temperature issues. I really don’t know whether I should try it out or just return it.

I do hope the case is a prototype as well, as this looks far from discrete :

wow thats a huge unit..i dont think i would be willing to put that on my dash. imagine the price on that too, like 600 probably.

I saw the CES show YouTube video where Thinkware talked about their new stuff coming out. They said there’s no release date for the 4K yet and I needed something in the meantime since I just got a new car and am gonna start driving for work soon. I spent the extra money on Q800 PRO because I figured I’d be wasting money on a cheap one that doesn’t work well enough. Here’s a a review from a user Jeremy Wong. He says he has no image quality or temperature issues. I really don’t know whether I should try it out or just return it.

im gonna give it a shot. maybe my expectations are unrealistic. im going to turn off the night technology whatever its called, and clean my windshield and see how it goes. maybe buy the CPL filter too.

their stuff is well made and quite reliable, it's not best of breed when it comes to video, their stuff never has been, but as long as it works when it's meant to it still should be fit for task

Make sure to turn off Super Night Vision.
"We recommend only using it in parking mode as it may overexpose license plates as your headlights are on"
Quote from Blackboxmycar fellows.

Cheers,

Make sure to turn off Super Night Vision.
"We recommend only using it in parking mode as it may overexpose license plates as your headlights are on"
Quote from Blackboxmycar fellows.

Cheers,
interesting. will try tomorrow. thanks

By the way, here is direct comparison between old Night Vision and new Night Vision 2.0
You can clearly see the overexposure issue. It will help to get more details in parking mode but with direct light pointing towards license plates it can be a problem. (It is old F800 but should be the same for Q800)
(Original Source:
)

I tried it out today with the Super Night Vision off during the day, still not impressed. The video is just way too grainy. License plates are just not visible from some angles even though the car is 5 feet away from me.

Anyone else think the video quality is extremely poor? You literally cannot see license plates of cars that are directly infront of you in most cases.

nice pile up in the first video
I agree. Like 5-6 cars involved lol.

But ya man. Im looking at the BlackVue, hopefully that has better quality video. I hope I can reuse the hardwire though. Gotta do more research. I have like 8 days before Im stuck with this.

I agree. Like 5-6 cars involved lol.

But ya man. Im looking at the BlackVue, hopefully that has better quality video. I hope I can reuse the hardwire though. Gotta do more research. I have like 8 days before Im stuck with this.
Thinkware used to have better image quality than Blackvue, recent models have improved though

Thinkware used to have better image quality than Blackvue, recent models have improved though
Do you think they will improve the quality with new firmware? Or should I just go blackvue.

Back