Thinkware Q800 Pro Review

Jeremy Wong

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119, Viofo A119S, Xiaomi Mijia, 360 J511C, etc
Author's Note: The original review is found at jwtech, please head to the site to show us your support as well. Click here to view all my product reviews.

Attached Image

Thanks to Sicurez for letting me get the very first unit of Thinkware Q800 Pro in Malaysia

Attached Image

Thinkware product page: Q800 Pro
Sicurez Technologies product page: Q800 Pro

Technical Specs:
• Ambarella A12
• Sensor for front: Sony Exmor R CMOS 5.14M IMX 335 & rear: Sony Exmor R CMOS 2.13M IMX291
• Viewing angle: 140° wide angle lens view for front & rear
• 3-Axis Accelerometer G-Sensor (3D, ±3G)
• Resolution: front: Quad HD (2560x1440p), rear: Full HD(1920x1080p)
• Support up to 128GB microSD card
• Built-in GPS
• Built-in Wi-Fi
• Built-in super capacitor
• Safety Camera Alert
• Road Safety Warning System: Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), Front Collision Warning System (FCWS), Urban Front Collision Warning System (uFCWS) and Front Vehicle Departure Warning (FVDW)
• Time lapse & motion detection parking mode
• Super Night Vision 2.0
• Advanced Video Clear Technology
• Geo-Fencing
• Locate Vehicle
• Driving Impact Notification
• Energy Saving Parking Mode
• Thinkware Cloud

Q800 Pro box
Attached Image Attached Image

Open box
Attached Image

Contents
Attached Image
• Q800 Pro
• Tape mount
• Cable holder x3
• Hardwire kit
• USB micro SD card reader
• Spare mounting tape
• Quick start guide
• Customer service info
• Thinkware Cloud

Q800 Pro

Tape mount
Attached Image

Cable holder & spare mounting tape

USB micro SD card reader

Hardwire kit
Attached Image

Quick start guide

Customer service information & Thinkware Cloud

Rear camera box
Attached Image

Contents
Attached Image
• Rear camera
• Rear camera cable
• Installation guide

Rear camera

Rear camera cable

Installation guide

Thinkware 64GB microSD UHS1 MLC card
Attached Image

Thinkware CPL filter box

Contents
Attached Image
• CPL filter
• Wiping cloth
• Using the CPL filter guide

CPL filter
Attached Image
The CPL filter is a double lens

Wiping cloth

Using the CPL filter guide

F800 Pro vs Q800 Pro
Attached Image
The Q800 Pro looks bluish black to the F800 Pro’s black. Q800 Pro now have matte buttons. The Q800 Pro is less prone to fingerprints. On the Q800 Pro’s lens, there is a marking which is to assist in installing the CPL filter.

Initial firmware out of the box
Attached Image

Test setup

Videos
Recorded in 2560×1440 30fps with an overall bit rate of 19.6 Mb/s for the front cam. Rear cam will be recorded in 1920×1080 30fps with an overall bit rate of 19.6 Mb/s. Without CPL filter and Super Night Vision 2.0 disabled.

With CPL filter
~coming soon~

Final thoughts
It’s the F800 Pro upgraded with 1440p resolution for the front cam. The Q800 Pro’s 1440p definitely looks clearer & sharper than the F800 Pro’s 1080p. Hopefully, the image quality will be improved further in the future firmware.

Still the best in the industry true parking mode, the accurate ADAS, and Safety Camera Alert.

Should you upgrade your F800 Pro to the Q800 Pro? Don't think I recommend upgrading to Q800 Pro. Unless you got extra cash, why not?

But if you’re deciding whether to get the Q800 Pro or the F800 Pro. Get the Q800 Pro if your budget allows.

Also, consider getting a bigger micro SD card as the 64GB I’m using can keep about 3 days of videos for both channels as the Q800 Pro’s 1-minute video files have increased to 150MB from 100MB.

Hi Jeremy,

great review! Thanks a lot for your effort and nice footage.

Cheers,

just some feedback for you @Jeremy Wong if you're interested, your embedded images don't work in Tapatalk which a lot of forum users that access by mobile use, it's just a wall of links, works fine on desktop

just some feedback for you @Jeremy Wong if you're interested, your embedded images don't work in Tapatalk which a lot of forum users that access by mobile use, it's just a wall of links, works fine on desktop

Oh! Didn't know that. I'll see what I can do about it. Thanks jokiin

Should you upgrade your F800 Pro to the Q800 Pro? Don't think I recommend upgrading to Q800 Pro. Unless you got extra cash, why not?

But if you’re deciding whether to get the Q800 Pro or the F800 Pro. Get the Q800 Pro if your budget allows.

Also, consider getting a bigger micro SD card as the 64GB I’m using can keep about 3 days of videos for both channels as the Q800 Pro’s 1-minute video files have increased to 150MB from 100MB.
Thank you for your review. I bought the Q800 PRO before even seeing this. I’m now having second thoughts because I’m seeing a lot of posts from users stating that the image quality is horrible with pictures to show. But watching your videos, the license plates look clear and you can see lots of detail. Do you know what could be causing other users to have lower image quality than what your video shows? I’m asking because it’s making me nervous and second guessing my purchase. I was also told on a previous thread that the camera shuts off at 80 degrees Fahrenheit and above and the user is thinking about returning it. One of the reasons I bought the Q800 is because it’s advertised as being designed to withstand extreme temps and that was very important since I live in California and summers can get over 100+ degrees F. This is obviously a problem if the cam shuts off at 80F or higher. I appreciate any feedback/advice!

Last edited:
Thank you for your review. I bought the Q800 PRO before even seeing this. I’m now having second thoughts because I’m seeing a lot of posts from users stating that the image quality is horrible with pictures to show. But watching your videos, the license plates look clear and you can see lots of detail. Do you know what could be causing other users to have lower image quality than what your video shows? I’m asking because it’s making me nervous and second guessing my purchase. I was also told on a previous thread that the camera shuts off at 80 degrees Fahrenheit and above and the user is thinking about returning it. One of the reasons I bought the Q800 is because it’s advertised as being designed to withstand extreme temps and that was very important since I live in California and summers can get over 100+ degrees F. This is obviously a problem if the cam shuts off at 80F or higher. I appreciate any feedback/advice!
I didn't do much settings to my Q800 Pro. Most is default.

I did hear that Thinkware is working on a firmware that improves the image quality.

Here in Malaysia the temperature can go up to 38C+ (100F). It's only summer and monsoon season here. I haven't had any issues with my Q800 Pro yet. And my car is parked everyday outside (sun & rain) and the cabin temperature can go up to 90C+ (194F) and its running on parking mode.

I didn't do much settings to my Q800 Pro. Most is default.

I did hear that Thinkware is working on a firmware that improves the image quality.

Here in Malaysia the temperature can go up to 38C+ (100F). It's only summer and monsoon season here. I haven't had any issues with my Q800 Pro yet. And my car is parked everyday outside (sun & rain) and the cabin temperature can go up to 90C+ (194F) and its running on parking mode.
So no problems so far with overheating/shutting off in those high temps? Would you mind sharing any settings you did change? If it’s not too much trouble!

Back