New guy from Pa.

Airborne

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129
Welll I come on board to learn about dashcam. I learned a few things already
I am a retired electrician, have the empty nest, I enjoy it, the wife not so much.
Looking to make a dashcam purchase soon. I did not realize there are so many features. So I will be reading the forum the next couple of days. I will not ask which camera to buy as I know better. Maybe after a few days I will be armed with some.
I am a Vietnam disabled Vet, and I like to stay busy with my mind or when I can my body. Too many issues to write them down. Just hello from Pa.and a little about me. I lived in the Bronx New York before moving to Pa. I was able to escape the jungle. Take it Lite! Pete

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Pete.
Dont be taken in by the smart features part, dashcams with a excess of that are not the best cameras it seem.

Vietnam vet, thats tough (y) though i am old ( YOB 66 ) i only know of that mess from the history books and documentaries on TV.
I am retired too, have been since i became 50 3 years ago, but for me it was working too hard for my skeleton posture to deal with, most of my life i have looked like a resident of Hanoi Hilton.
So that paired with not being afraid to work hard, and living / playing hard, meant in the end i became eligible for early retirement here in Denmark.

Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to the forum Pete.
Dont be taken in by the smart features part, dashcams with a excess of that are not the best cameras it seem.

Vietnam vet, thats tough (y) though i am old ( YOB 66 ) i only know of that mess from the history books and documentaries on TV.
I am retired too, have been since i became 50 3 years ago, but for me it was working too hard for my skeleton posture to deal with, most of my life i have looked like a resident of Hanoi Hilton.
So that paired with not being afraid to work hard, and living / playing hard, meant in the end i became eligible for early retirement here in Denmark.
I understand you perfectly, I worked as a union construction electrician for 30 years and my body is shot. I too had to be the best worker, made a foreman and then retired. I am leaning towards the 119v3 as I need buffered parking

My father ( a lifelong commie ) was head of the bricklayers / masons union in the #2 largest town here, from the mid 60ties to he was forced on pension due to age.
No one ever asked to replace him, cuz he was all there for the working guy + local politics when Danes as still stupid enough to vote for commies.

It also cost him his marriage in the end.

119 V3 look very interesting, i hope to get something similar to that in for testing soon.

Age discrimination is present. If you do not get the hint to move on and retire they will make things miserable for you. Happened to me and my wife. I am happily retired, but not so when I did. It took me some years to get used to the idea. Now we are both home together and it sucks big time. I was hoping she would get another job, but not the case

Hehe i am a lifetime single, so i have not had that GF / wife issue since i was 17.
And thats totally okay, i have also been traveling the world work related for some years, and that did not work well for many of the people i worked with when you are only home in the country 4 months every year.
Worked fine for me i have always felt best when i am not in my home country, only a torrent of bad decisions on my part it to blame for me not living in another country by now.
Shopping here with 100 people in the store and i am apprehensive, but i can go shopping in Tokyo and have like 100.000 others in the store and it dont bother me at all.
The fierce National feeling many / most Americans have, i dont have towards my home country.

I / well my friend dont even fly the red and white, we fly the red white and blue or something else.
Here is my 04 - 07 salute from last year, recorded at my friends place.

I salute you sir

Denmark also host the worlds biggest 04 07 party outside of the US every year, have been so since before i was born.
It is not super big, after all we are a little place, but its the thought that count.
You and us often stand side by side, first in - last to leave.

Welcome to DCT @Airborne :)
The A119V3 should be an excellent choice. It's quite new so maybe a few undiscovered minor bugs or glitches but Viofo works hard to make things work as intended so I wouldn't worry about that. As of right now the V3 may have the best vid quality you can get in a dashcam and that impresses me having been in the game 5+ years. AF brat here, too young for that one and too old for the next, but many friends went as did my Dad, and I lost my half-brother there. I hope we've learned from that mess and I only wish that the politicians who bring us wars were forced to be the front-line troops; somehow I believe that would best solve things ;) Almost became an electrician but I chose carpentry instead. My 59YO body is more like the average 70YO now from the wear-and-tear which I'm sure you understand but we're still kicking- just not quite as high as we once did :cool:

Phil

I am still reading about this camera, at this point I was looking for a plug and play. But reading more it seems I need the optional wiring to get buffered parking to work. Another option is the duel model. I am a homebody and do not need the camera to be working 24-7. I would like to have one as I park at my VA hospital and the real older drivers ,drivers that should no longer be behind wheel bump into cars when they try to park.
My Mom Rest In Peace handed her drivers license in once she turned around 80 years old. I know of drivers at the VA are 95 plus age still driving. I hope Pa. requires by law once you hit a certain age you must go in to get checked to make sure you still can drive. So this is my concern about getting a dashcam. They have no concern dinking your door or if they hit your car they just keep parking like nothing happened, “It was not me” they say. I bought a new 2019 Tacoma after wishing for a new one for 20 years.This will likely be my last purchase on buying cars or trucks

My mother had a brain aneurysm when she was 64, so that ended her driving career, or actual after that she was not all that bad, but after the surgery she was.
I have no idea what they did in there, but her walking - talking and - swallow reflex was impaired for sure.

But yeah today you need dedicated hard wire kits if you want to deploy parking guard, myself i have not tried that yet but probably will with the next batch of Street guardian cameras to beat on.
Personally i will just use the timer they offer with their kit as i only need parking guard for one hour after i have parked, cuz at home i have a CCTV camera on my balcony door aimed at my car parked 2 floors below in the back yard.
Funny enough i dont mind all that much about the door dings, and thats pretty strange when you factor in Danes pay for 2 cars when they get one due to our severe taxation level on things to pay for our welfare system.
Maybe its just cuz i drive a cheap little Suzuki car that in my eyes are just there to make sure i can get from A to B in comfort, cuz cycling are out of the question now, and public transport i dont think i can do in comfort with the way i feel about my fellow Danes.
I do HATE that people ding your car and then just walk away, but its not the dent it is the personality trait i find so provoking.
Hit and run are also on the up here, actually many bad things are, and nobody do nothinng, so the election we just had was the usual pain for me though this time i was able to vote due to 3 new parties to vote on ( i am not voting on the old parties that are to blame for the current situation here )

Save for getting cramped accessing the fusebox, installing a HWK would be a cinch for you since you know electrics. One advantage of a HWK is that they have low-voltage protection- some are adjustable. It stops the cam before your battery gets low but that may leave you unprotected after a few hours parked.

I'm thinking there's a low-bitrate parking mode with the A119v3 which should work with just a ciggie plug which would make using it super-easy. Buffered parking mode's advantage over low bitrate is that it will notify you of an incident if it captures it; with low-bitrate you're recording constantly so you'd always have the video but you'd need to notice the damage and find the vid of it yourself before newer recordings over-write the incident. Both ways use about the same amount of power. Personally I'm recording constantly and normally 24/7 on a dual channel cam- hard on the battery and hard on the cam (voids warranties too) but since my workvan gets driven every day and has a big battery it does fine for me. I have missed finding a couple door-dings because of the lack of notifications. I'm not using any low-voltage protection as my battery is quite large. My guess is that I'm losing 10% to 20% of the battery's lifespan doing things this way but even with it's size the battery is relatively cheap (~$120) and it works out to maybe $0.25 per day which I'm willing to spend keeping my cams going.

If you park where a front cam will likely capture license plates as people drive in and out, it should be enough. Having a rear cam is nice and would let you point your car either way when parking. The disadvantage of it when parking is two-fold: First it uses about twice as much card space thus halving the time it can hold, and second it increases the power draw so you get less time before the battery runs down. Nice but probably not necessary- you decide. With 9 channels of video in my van when driving I'm not the one to be asking about overkill :ROFLMAO: but this can get addicting :whistle: Of the vids I felt worth saving maybe 10% involved a rear view and even without it my front cam was all I'd need to prove my own total innocence if something had happened to me directly.

Phil

Back