New dash cam installed - quality is bad any ideas? VIOFO A119

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey so just finished hooking up the cam and I'm a bit disappointing. I can barely read licence plates and the video is a bit blurry eh?

I did remove all the lens protectors and I am using the anti reflective lens cover.

Any ideas?

you'll need to look at daytime video to judge focus, looks as expected for night video though

Yes gauge camera performance from day footage, all dashcams struggle at night, at least if you add any speed faster than maximum crawling on all 4 speed.

you'll need to look at daytime video to judge focus, looks as expected for night video though
Yes gauge camera performance from day footage, all dashcams struggle at night, at least if you add any speed faster than maximum crawling on all 4 speed.
It's just I was comparing with other footage of night but I'll try again tomorrow

Also be sure your windshield is spotlessly clean. I'm seeing something at 0.4 seconds which looks like smudging or could be a reflection I guess. Not too bad for this cam though. The A119 is better daytime but the A119s does better in low light, and it seems in places of higher lattitudes the A119s is preferred for that reason.

I'm still wishing for perfect vids and plate captures especially at night, but I'm not expecting any miracles because that's what it would take to get it :rolleyes:

Phil

Ok fellas (and gals if there is haha) here is a day clip. It's still a little bit blurry...

I'll try cleaning my windshield super hard if not maybe it's because of the CLP lens cover/filter?

That do look a tad soft, sure you got all protective plastic off, i think CPL might have that on both sides of the glass.

It does appear to be a focus issue with the camera. You can see the air vents in the dash are focused nicely but more distant objects are not.

Also be sure your windshield is spotlessly clean. I'm seeing something at 0.4 seconds which looks like smudging or could be a reflection I guess. Not too bad for this cam though. The A119 is better daytime but the A119s does better in low light, and it seems in places of higher lattitudes the A119s is preferred for that reason.

I'm still wishing for perfect vids and plate captures especially at night, but I'm not expecting any miracles because that's what it would take to get it :rolleyes:

Phil
That do look a tad soft, sure you got all protective plastic off, i think CPL might have that on both sides of the glass.
It does appear to be a focus issue with the camera. You can see the air vents in the dash are focused nicely but more distant objects are not.

Ok great news. I wiped both my windshield in and out and it is so perfect/clean now. Look at this night video easily read plates! Looks like I'm good to go!

What a difference a clean windshield makes
It is still far from perfectly clean, and there is some strange fisheye like distortion that makes it look like the rear wheels of the vehicle in front are falling off!

It appears that Ottawa doesn't have night time noise regulations, seems a bit anti-social for 11:30 PM!

Back