Data usage....

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All.

How much data do you guys think the camera will use if streaming to YouTube around 12 hours a day?

Just multiply the per minute file size by 720 and you'll have the answer.

Just multiply the per minute file size by 720 and you'll have the answer.

And what would the per minute file size be? No idea how to figure that out.

And what would the per minute file size be? No idea how to figure that out.
Look at the size of one video file, divide that by the number of minutes of video in the file. You now have the per minute file size.

My SG camera generates a bit over 111,000KB of data per camera (front and rear) for every minute of video. That's a 557,000KB file for each 5 minute video segment at 1280x1080/30FPS.

However, BlackVue says the frame rate may vary during WiFi streaming so this may just be an academic exercise and not related to a real world scenario. In any event streaming 12 hours of video to Youtube in real time will either use a lot of data and bandwidth, or will be low quality video.

Look at the size of one video file, divide that by the number of minutes of video in the file. You now have the per minute file size.

My SG camera generates a bit over 111,000KB of data per camera (front and rear) for every minute of video. That's a 557,000KB file for each 5 minute video segment at 1280x1080/30FPS.

However, BlackVue says the frame rate may vary during WiFi streaming so this may just be an academic exercise and not related to a real world scenario. In any event streaming 12 hours of video to Youtube in real time will either use a lot of data and bandwidth, or will be low quality video.

But if I’m streaming live. I have no file size. Or at least I don’t see how I could figure it out. If using a BV 900 2ch. With the 4K setting.

But if I’m streaming live. I have no file size. Or at least I don’t see how I could figure it out. If using a BV 900 2ch. With the 4K setting.
You're probably going to have to contact BlackVue tech support/customer service. They will be the people that know how streaming is handled compared to capturing video locally on an SD card.

What about a connection via hotspot of a phone/laptop, let the stream go for few minutes and then just check statistics?

You will have to be within near full 4G coverage all the time first of all, thats the main thing aside for the amounts of data.
Not so much of a problem if you dont move, more of a problem if you are on a popular mast and it throttling peoples speed to deal with things.

A single dashcam generate about 100 MB every minute it record, so thats 6000 MB ( 100 MB X 60 minutes ) = ( 6000 MB / 6 gigabyte ) in one hour, calculating with that for a 12 hour time period you get 12 hours X 6000 MB / 6 GB/h = 72.000 MB / 72 Gigabyte of data,,,,,, and remember thats just for one mediocre 1080p dashcam and me low-balling, higher bitrates / resolutions will of course mean even larger files.

I think thats more than are shifted thru my 1 gbit cable connection in a month, and i spend much ( too much ) time in front of the computer.

For that BV camera at full tilt if thats what it transmit, you are looking at 150 GB - 200 GB for those 12 hours i assume.

There is of course also the thermal aspect, i would not attempt this on a day with the sun out or for that matter higher comfortable summer temperatures.
There is a reason constant recording full bitrate / FPS are not recommended or done by most dashcams, latest heat combating options are time lapse / low bitrate 1080/30 and on the hardware remote dashcams with a main unit remote from the camera / s so it dont have to sit and cook in the sun.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind, the camera will compress the file before streaming it. And you have to calculate for lost dropped packets and error correction on the network.

Back