GPS interference

SotY

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have SGGCX2PRO+ along with hardwire kit for parking mode installed in my 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with EyeSight and navigation. This camera interfere with vehicle GPS system heavily. My position with dashcam turned on is off sometimes by just 50ft but sometimes by 500ft or more. After I turn off dashcam my position is re-locked correctly in just couple of seconds. According to Subaru's repair manual GPS antenna is located inside the dashboard behind main gauges and my dashcam is installed behind rearview mirror and dashcam's GPS antenna in upper right windshield corner so nothing is exactly above vehicle GPS antenna and not close to it. Is there anything that I could do to insulate the dashcam?

That usually means your vehicle GPS antenna is too close to the dashcam sensor. I've only ever had one other report where someone moved their dashcam as little as 6-12 inches and it corrected the same problem. I'm trying to remember what make/model vehicle it was. (it was several months ago) The customer confirmed that any brand dashcam would cause it too, not just Street Guardian)

Unfortunately I can't move camera 6 inches into any other direction. My car is equipped with EyeSight system (2 cameras on both side of the rearview mirror) so directly behind rearview mirror is the only place it can be insatlled without blocking EyeSight's cameras view. I was hoping that I could insulate dashcam itself with some material. I found this: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/624997-my-dashcam-blocks-the-gps-signal/ but I'm not gonna make my car look like that ;) I also found this: https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/shielded-mobius-case-now-available/ and was hoping for something similar for StreetGuardian.

Sound like you have the things spaced out as good as you can, how about wirering ? could be the hardwire kit giving off some RF noise and then if thats close to your car GPS ( antenna or unit )
I dont have this model of the SG cameras, but i have others and other brands, and i often use my phone with a waze like APP with my phone hanging off the driver side door.
My little Suzuki car have the cabin fuses in the drive foot well, so i have many a wire going across the dashboard to cameras and the expanded power grid in my glove box.

I think maybe try and take off the dashcam GPS antenna and try without that for a few days, if that dont work, maybe try the PSu that come with the camera instead of the hard wire kit and then temp route the wire another way.
And maybe during that try to take the power from the hardwire kit so it dont sit down there and can make noise even if you for a day or two use another power source.

I don't think that hard wire kit is source of interference. GPS gets correct lock as soon as I turn off dashcam by holding its power button so hard wire kit is still powered from fuse box but dashcam is not drawing any power so maybe that's the case. My fuse box is on the left side just below gauges close to the door. I will try to drive with power supply and hard wire kit unplugged and see it that helps.

I think SG have as good build quality and RF insulation as any camera out there, so what ever this end up with, the problem / solution i think will be the same.
At least the SG guys and boss are easy to get a hold off in here, just post in their forum and they will be all over it when they see it.

I know about quality of SG customer support. This is my second SG dashcam. I still have SG9665GC for over 3 years now in my second car and the only problem I've had was one lockout when screen was freezing after powering up and wasn't recording anything. It turned out to be issue with sd card. After I formatted card in PC and put back in dashcam it started working again. Anyway I just ordered some ferrite rings and will see if putting them on power cord helps at all.

Thats worth a try too.

got a photo of where it's mounted?

2nd photo shows where I have dashcam GPS unit installed. It can be seen in upper right corner by IPASS so it's on the oposite side of the car to vehicle's GPS antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_20190808_192746.jpg
    IMG_20190808_192746.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190808_192755.jpg
    IMG_20190808_192755.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190808_192853.jpg
    IMG_20190808_192853.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 25
Would moving to the Dash mount GPS module be an option?
Are you asking about moving dashcam's GPS module to the dash? I don't think so because cable is too short. And I don't have problems with GPS signal for dashcam but signal for vehicle's navigation with dashcam on.

Look like a nice install.
I think he mean move to other side of windscreen, but that would just bring you over closer to the car GPS so i am not sure that would do any good.
Besides the GPS mouse antenna are now made for glass install, so its flat bottom face upwards, only the very first SG cameras had GPS antennas that was really meant for on dashboard install, so many of us had to take it apart and flip its inside to mount it on the windscreen.

I have 3 Dashcam antennas on the top left corner of my windscreen, and one in the top right corner, but my little car dont have anything as smart as build in NAV or for that matter aircon.
But as i said before all those antennas and cameras have no impact on my phone GPS.

What about if you slide the dashcam off the mount while recording, and move it as far from its mount as the wires allow, i wonder if that have any impact.

It is strange, the norm is the cameras interfere with satellite and DAB radio, messing with car GPS are new to me.

Are you sure the car GPS ( antenna ) are in the dash where you say ? could be its just the main unit thats there and the antenna are in the windscreen or near where you have the camera itself.

But as i see it there are not much outside of trying all manner of powering and wiring the system to see in any other combination resolve the issue.
You dont have to be nervous about using all the sticky pads you have for camera and antenna, i am sure Jon at SG USA can mail you more of those if you run out attempting to find a solution.
If you take off the camera GPS and try it in other locations, dont stick it in place at once, i have some times had a GPS antenna wedged in between my headlined edge and the front of the roof/windscreen for temporary installs.
Regarding the camera itself you cant really do much as it is in the best "only" place for that.

What about the wire for the rear camera, do that pass by the car GPS, i would also try with the rear camera unplugged just to see what happen then on a test drive around the block / neighborhood.

Look like a nice install.
I think he mean move to other side of windscreen, but that would just bring you over closer to the car GPS so i am not sure that would do any good.
Besides the GPS mouse antenna are now made for glass install, so its flat bottom face upwards, only the very first SG cameras had GPS antennas that was really meant for on dashboard install, so many of us had to take it apart and flip its inside to mount it on the windscreen.

Yes if I move it to the other side it will be closer to vehicle's navigation GPS antenna so it would be counterproductive.

I have 3 Dashcam antennas on the top left corner of my windscreen, and one in the top right corner, but my little car dont have anything as smart as build in NAV or for that matter aircon.
But as i said before all those antennas and cameras have no impact on my phone GPS.

When I use my phone with android auto navigation it works fine but I put my phone in center console so it's farther from dashcam than vehicle's GPS antenna.

What about if you slide the dashcam off the mount while recording, and move it as far from its mount as the wires allow, i wonder if that have any impact.

I have all the wiring hidden behind headliner and running to A pillar and fuse box with no room to move without dismounting everything so I would like to avoid this.

It is strange, the norm is the cameras interfere with satellite and DAB radio, messing with car GPS are new to me.

I have both sat and DAB radio but listen to DAB only and there is no interference for that. But radio antenna is on the roof so that could make a difference.

edit: actually we have HD Radio in US but I guess it's similar to DAB

Are you sure the car GPS ( antenna ) are in the dash where you say ? could be its just the main unit thats there and the antenna are in the windscreen or near where you have the camera itself.

I'm postive. I have service manual and it shows procedures for removing/installing it.

But as i see it there are not much outside of trying all manner of powering and wiring the system to see in any other combination resolve the issue.
You dont have to be nervous about using all the sticky pads you have for camera and antenna, i am sure Jon at SG USA can mail you more of those if you run out attempting to find a solution.
If you take off the camera GPS and try it in other locations, dont stick it in place at once, i have some times had a GPS antenna wedged in between my headlined edge and the front of the roof/windscreen for temporary installs.
Regarding the camera itself you cant really do much as it is in the best "only" place for that.

What about the wire for the rear camera, do that pass by the car GPS, i would also try with the rear camera unplugged just to see what happen then on a test drive around the block / neighborhood.

I don't have rear camera.

Yeah it do suck having to mess with something when you have just tucked everything in so nicely.

I updated my computer in the fall, only to find that where i put the pump & reservoir for the cooling was stupid, so had to drain everything and pretty much take everything apart.
And i was lucky as i build in a old case as i dont yet have the actual case for the build or other components like GFX card and water cooling for that, cuz in that case i would be putting in custom wiring that is made to the mm to fit and not be seen.
And i have always disliked having to do the same job 2 times, half asses work like that i leave to politicians.

It could also be you have a unusual noisy model, i assume that could happen.
So maybe arrange a swap with Jon if you get to a place where nothing you have tried work.

Some new cars are so sensitive and often have some "smart" that can be problematic if you try to do something not factory, the snowflakes of the automotive world :)

It could also be you have a unusual noisy model, i assume that could happen.
So maybe arrange a swap with Jon if you get to a place where nothing you have tried work.

Some new cars are so sensitive and often have some "smart" that can be problematic if you try to do something not factory, the snowflakes of the automotive world :)

I'm actually waiting for my friend returning to work from vacation. He has good quality EMF/RF meter (TriField EMF Meter Model TF2) so I will try to measure EMF/RF levels from dashcam and power wire and see how it looks.

2nd photo shows where I have dashcam GPS unit installed. It can be seen in upper right corner by IPASS so it's on the oposite side of the car to vehicle's GPS antenna.
yeah location would be a problem, we have other Subaru owners with the eyesight system and I believe they installed the camera next to the eyesight camera

Are you asking about moving dashcam's GPS module to the dash? I don't think so because cable is too short. And I don't have problems with GPS signal for dashcam but signal for vehicle's navigation with dashcam on.
he was referring to the other GPS we have with the longer cable, that won't be the issue though, it's not the cameras GPS that causes the problem, it's the CMOS sensor in the camera that has an impact on your vehicle GPS which is not far below it under the top of your dashboard, in some cases it is possible to move the factory GPS antenna but that involves a bit of DIY and only if it has a long enough cable, that's not a suitable fix for for everyone, moving the camera is easier

Back