Viofo A129 Pro Dual Dashcam - 4K Front + 1080 Rear

Is it the same cable that runs between the rear and front camera as what's used on the A129?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Looked back in the forums...

T'was only a few years ago that Viofo went from making generic-level cams to being up-to-date with some new innovations. And now he makes some of the best cams you can buy. That's quite a big leap forward and worthy of noting.

Congratulations @viofo- job well done!
Phil

Looking pretty good

Great quality.I watched the footage on my 4K 55" TV,and the quality is amazing.I have also checked every frame of both videos with virtualdub2,and on the front camera there is only one frame duplicated(frame 812).On the rear camera 3 frames are duplicated(frames 191,999 and 1691).I can definitely live with that,very good job.Now I only hope they release soon this model as I want to swap the A129 Duo to my old car..Hope they will keep same cables/connectors..
1800+1800=3600 mouse clicks..Just wanted to be sure this time before buying :LOL::ROFLMAO: Seems @viofo is on the good way with this chipset.Good job!
I just checked mine, normally I only look at the first few seconds, but this time I checked a half hour for front and back - 108,000 frames :)

Front: 16 duplicated frames = 1 every 112.5 seconds.
Rear: 48 duplicated frames = 1 every 37.5 seconds.

Don't know if the ratio of 3 to 1 is significant. They are not evenly spaced.

Just in case Jokiin is worried about cruelty to rodents, it only required 1 double click, ffmpeg did the counting :geek:

Now I'm wondering why yours is worse than mine, maybe something to keep a watch on as Viofo finishes off the firmware.

Looking forward to this camera hitting the shelf’s, I will be watching everyone’s score on this one

Last edited:
Just in case Jokiin is worried about cruelty to rodents, it only required 1 double click, ffmpeg did the counting :geek:
did you manually check any of it also to confirm, I read up on automated methods of detecting duplicate frames and it seems there's some question about the accuracy

did you manually check any of it also to confirm, I read up on automated methods of detecting duplicate frames and it seems there's some question about the accuracy
No, but I did check it against a video I downloaded from the A129 Duo thread about dropped rear frames where they are fairly regular, and which I also checked manually.

It wasn't as simple as I expected since it seems the frames are not identical, I assume because of compression noise, or decompression noise, so there are thresholds to be set, which means the results may be missing some duplicates and may have extras. I did however choose a 30 minute section where the car was always moving, so there was always a big difference in real frames making it easy to set the thresholds. So I think those figures are accurate, there is certainly the odd duplicate in there, even if the first one is 2307 frames in from the start of the video - a lot of work to find manually!

indeed, I wouldn't want to be doing too much of that

It would probably qualify as a form of torture to make someone do that :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

I can understand why this deserves noting, but for dashcam work an occasional rare skipped or doubled frame is likely going to be insignificant unless it points to a more serious issue. Good to see this depth of effort and thought going on here (y)

Phil

It would probably qualify as a form of torture to make someone do that :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

I can understand why this deserves noting, but for dashcam work an occasional rare skipped or doubled frame is likely going to be insignificant unless it points to a more serious issue. Good to see this depth of effort and thought going on here (y)

Phil
I guess the odd missing or extra frame is inevitable since the rear camera presumably runs on a different clock to the processor doing the encoding so they are going to get out of step by 1/30th second eventually. Not actually studied the communications link though, maybe it carries a clock? Only reason I can think it would really be an issue to a dashcam is if someone tried to calculate a speed by counting movement across frames, a duplicate frame could affect the calculation if it wasn't spotted. Have to accept that these are not professional cameras that we can expect perfection from, there is a reason the police cameras cost $1000s.

OK it seems many are excited that a 4K is coming out and ideally at an affordable price.
From what @Nigel has said it does a much better job pulling in number plates and from some of the others who have uploaded footage it looks impressive.

So I have a simple question, can you play directly to your 4K TV from the dash cam?

Perhaps it would be timely to add a HDMI port and say good by to the "PAL" resolution 3.5mm jack.

I see another use for this dash cam for people who rent.
Using a low price high res dash cam that can also be monitored in real time on the TV via the HDMI cable. Placing the dash cams in movement mode could help easily identify an intruder or things going on in the street.
Cost nothing to run.
Is so small that it would be easy to camouflage.
It can be stuck to the house window without upsetting the landlord (if they even notice it!) Sticking it to the house window and never falling off given the torture the dash cam gets in a car.
@viofo what do you think?

I believe you have a much bigger market than you realize.

I'm looking forward to its release too.

can you play directly to your 4K TV from the dash cam?

I dont think so, dont think the camera have HDMI out, and just connecting the camera as a mass storage devise will probably also not do it for 4K footage.
MAYBE ! if you put the good memory card in a good card reader and plug that into the TV.
But you will be better copying the files to a thumb drive or portable HDD and then plug that into the TV.

Some older cameras that have had a HDMI out, some dident support playback at the same time as recording.
For CCTV use you are much better off buying one of the small dedicated CCTV cameras, some of those even have a free cloud option or same to a degree, and they are much better geared for this kind of work and will often have dedicated features for this.

I often watch the footage on my 4K TV, from this and the Nextbase 612GW - though I do always transfer the files onto my computer. From there it's simply a right-click on the files and "cast" them to the television.

Incidentally, watching a 4k dashcam capture on my Panasonic 58" 4K screen is a wonder to behold. The clarity is up, up, and way way, beyond what I see on my 1080p computer monitor!

Last edited:
First post here, but I signed up just to say I'm really excited about this dashcam. Being an A129 owner (not my first dashcam), there's no other cam I'm interested in upgrading to. The A129 does most everything right, and while a 4K version essentially "only" needs to bump up the resolution and manage its internal temperature efficiently (which has been a healthy topic of discussion here), Viofo has clearly gone above and beyond with the improved WiFi capability, color accuracy and dynamic range. Move over DR900S.

Props to Nigel, Paul and Tony M for the test footage and good job Viofo. Can't wait for its release!

I dont think so, dont think the camera have HDMI out, and just connecting the camera as a mass storage devise will probably also not do it for 4K footage.
MAYBE ! if you put the good memory card in a good card reader and plug that into the TV.
But you will be better copying the files to a thumb drive or portable HDD and then plug that into the TV.

Some older cameras that have had a HDMI out, some dident support playback at the same time as recording.
For CCTV use you are much better off buying one of the small dedicated CCTV cameras, some of those even have a free cloud option or same to a degree, and they are much better geared for this kind of work and will often have dedicated features for this.

Yeah I get your point but you totally missed mine.
Add a HDMI port to the new Viofo Dash Cam.

Copying the footage to USB key, sure it's an option if you like waiting around for ages. Of course that's if it worked correctly the first time. A condition mentioned was a "good memory card" in a "good card reader!" Other devices need to be ready to achieve this.
Old hdmi isn't worth mentioning. We are talking about a new product anything is possible.
Kamkar1 I think you answered the question yourself. There is a lot of stuffing around to do.

As far as watching car footage in the comfort of your house(Don;t forget at 4K not HD), all you need to do is unclip the dash cam and walk it inside and connect it directly to your 4K tv. Connect a usb cable from one of the TV's ports straight in to the "New" dash cam with the mini/micro HDMI and off you go. All the controls are on the Viofo dash cam so you can jump to any footage.
When you have finished you just walk that Viofo dash cam back out to the car and clip it back in. Too simple.

The real item I was raising is the triple use of the dash cam. You can use it in the car as normal, even attach a video screen to the back seats so the kids can watch the road ahead /or the Adults after drinks!) or with the simple adapters on the window/s in your house. Push it a little further an you could show your friends what just happened on the way to them on their 4K TV (We all have them now don't we ... my attempt at being funny.)
I am talking about viewing outside the house where the dash cam will always be where you stuck it.
Using cheap cctv web base devices is a recipe for your video being transmitted around the world due to very weak security settings. An annoying thing about home cctv I found is I have to find a location for them that usually means I need to place then a self or something so they can see out the windows which will no-doubt at some point during the day be blind buy the sun or knocked over by the dog or cat.
The CCTV type are just a tad obvious and usually once power is lost they're stuffed as they rely on mains. Sure you can do all sorts of things to make them work but from what I have read on this knowledgeable forum I pity the people who haven't a clue.

The Viofo dash cam can run off a mains powered usb device and if the power fails, fall over to battery ... pick your choice of devices that could fill that requirement. New product line for Viofo! Don't laugh they did it with memory cards.
Everything is already made for these situations by Viofo.

Getting back to people renting:
And the bonus not to mention the sales pitch
Once the tenant moves, guess what they get, the added advantage of having a dash cam which will come in real handy when they are living in their car to survive. Sure the HDMI won't be as useful but it will still be there if, when, they manage to move out of their car.

couple of things to consider

navigation is a but clumsy when wanting to use the camera as the playback device, find the file, play the next file etc

PCB would need to bigger to allow for even a Micro HDMI output, that would likely mean a design change of the camera as well

HDMI has a license fee involved

I can see what you are putting across, but what we have is a dashcam. That's it. Designed to do a specific job. What you are asking for is a development that is turning it into a device akin to a media player that has the advantage of having a dashcam built in...

I'm not very fond of taking the dashcam out of the car. I always put the card into a USB 3.0 card reader when I want to save some footage to the laptop. It's faster than anything else. I can play the videos on the big screen from the laptop's HDMI output.

Back