Viofo A129 Pro Dual Dashcam - 4K Front + 1080 Rear

This is from my raw video, A129 Pro left, A119 V3 middle (resized to match A129 Pro), A129 Duo right (resized to match A129 Pro), zoomed in x3:

y4m6nlkOYjGN_r14Bwna5UNuU7vmXu3bMQHYlgDsPEo8RIzQ1ukaIjuYw4vFINAlMgd6Qm1JI5D3RaJ-71gQ907pOYJJI7zUqX1lO3ynUpsxYhR0dzgrpCHZu0IG9s5z_DAkROfev65butMxhS-ft1j3Hgn6y57uzrFCCBt_rh5_viwEFE4l_f5iaZUrXLR9YtQ

And to show the difference in field of view, here is A129 Pro, overlayed by A119 V3 (scaled to match size, and rotated to get accurate overlay):

y4mqP6BniI-znw4PhqS7VEdhSROxsYiWLNF3PxljaP2uN2gugY2j15T2NUtUBwqPbvKSN2ItC1DBe7o3fItXm0kTJ8Blpqveo9xQeRxYOnfLVYf47MDFnkAkEKN-DNZmb4inybhyOVDkb37Byw8wBX8c-SCeW1by5-JvKKnqsIvtoI1IgarT-YAtEdq-tTZKla_

And A129 Pro overlayed by resized A129 Duo:

y4mAYQcZjD3nYPGLmggae9O6GBrw8to05HJBRrLmXRdqwHj4ferO6l64eSszFJ52HOqalcdvdaqDRDxbsN-f9V6Nv-96ZdsXVpVQduGEf0Sm24hG3HFjXDJDspuliHf7E4wZD4epW0_cF4uy0TktMGQVkVcWUMT1o4bfxeiek1Z0Wn3HokipEgxKEd1R4Go-gnE

And without the scaling and rotation, to show the resolution difference:

y4m_aFCKv5GjWa0hQgIFAb5WZ7cIGoOvBcBVd-hAevg6sTAh_9xbaNFYD2XRV6aYKb19qPm_3IeOoLCnRZtv9SQWt0FRM21KhBf_Xwew2PDXt8sIxBMeOQ6xWn5aJhV_xqsXkObrkaG1Uw2QLTAY1grlzh5Udr9n5QFC2coSRdRejIkh_4G8WK7ukrxUtXCiuqw

Face comparison:

y4mRvnwQsWwG57W82rrmkpLUZbhRK-otqbLJ9Hr8pHiJHJqikT0_47cGUAHo8sKcs9Hei3smWif5gkPqRuON39Yk2_dj9jtmyN7OrhBqQmfEetfi0OO4K49RWK0iOLGqNQJhRkgZGJXvOYgtaDsVy1NgBVpS9nY8arihmY1cjy-aJKzbehtd2MHpGMdKhgzBH0h

Summary:
A129 Pro has the widest field of view and still has the most detail when zoomed in to the same size, plus whenever you see a face, it has much better shading & colour due to the much higher bitrate, on the other cameras it is easy for faces to be compressed out of existence.

Last edited:
A129 Pro - Medium Bitrate (29.5Mbps)

4K is not all about high bitrate. The Novatek processor in the A129 Pro is very efficient when it comes to using a modest bitrate of 29.5Mbps. There is some pixellation in the clouds, grass & trees, and some loss of fine detail. However for general use the results are acceptable, and double the recording time on the microSD card compared to running at maximum bitrate.

422MB (2 minute) original file : https://mega.nz/#!r8AD1IzS!tOAQ2u87HfoxSk9RuQwqSkKif6eItrvwh-CmLSIDmvU

y4m2xxPfEXZjU67H_t7CbJWuf9GM1jhxopE5jtG-zOo5wn_FqlyASJ2k9MZQA6wLuqoR2LkWFgF7DGzWhcTFYw_OMheY7bcnBvNeGOIpjVBN2ED6ixDXFo17_Kkqu-Xf_4YM6Enm2M6rKMLZ7cBytykq0dzEUpp7vd3t6weFyG87PGKtvN0m6l3urQY36VwKBcq6j5maut2v-Zf63wKwN34gA

y4maMCFyQ8-1tQBaRXdzHJ6aTiUBI1KlRm9Ysc5PdSn_9t3yjvkWfFY3xK5PofIHMa2cLgQfoixZiyxejVKe7rXSX4YZU90oDSG5aZcfXwiNvQB1OyCuDKzE1yPVBcEg1dHzAC7vr1P1D_9Tby_9W8NV0wBJB5srWR7XzbVZjqjoGFYDcwvk4mtVcRizBOpz-bLqMMqjt88IzTVhTim9GezhA

However for general use the results are acceptable, and double the recording time on the microSD card compared to running at maximum bitrate.
If you are running medium bitrate then you may see some advantage from H265 when there are not too many trees about... but it is hard to prove without having 2x A129 Pro side by side!

(Nice rain clouds :))

Last edited:
Screenshots from today.

Sun was out.

Couple of videos - along the motorway and in the village (and with a wavy lady)...

Junction.jpgMWAY13.jpgWAVE13.jpg

We'd like to offer more samples for testing, please send PM to me if someone wants to review and test.
We don't have plan to offer samples to new members on DCT.

I will open a new thread for beta firmware testing.

I would like to test the A129 Pro and did offer previously.

I am currently running the A119 V3 beside the A129 Duo and will be posting comparison video in the next couple of days. The video will be exactly the same time points as the dash cam's sit on the same windscreen.
What do you think of the Idea of updating the A129 Pro 4K to a HDMI port? The connectors basically take up the same size in area and would bring the Viofo range in to the modern space of dash cams. I know there is a very small licence fee but you do get free advertising from the consortium as well as being permitted to use their logos etc.

PM me if you would like me to test the A129 Pro against the A129 Duo and the A119 V3
Thanks.

I don't know which chip is specifically used in this dashcam but are you aware that even if it has h264 and h265 encoders it doesn't necessarily mean it has a decoder as well..? (for 4k resolution)

Not to mention i think the board design is done for a quite time and to add HDMI it isn't something like a "aaaahhhh, push it harder!, hrrrhhhhhhhh...., boom, done" It's pretty serious change, especially for camera system.

Last edited:
I don't know which chip is specifically used in this dashcam but are you aware that even if it has h264 and h265 encoders it doesn't necessarily mean it has a decoder as well..? (for 4k resolution)

Not to mention i think the board design is done for a quite time and to add HDMI it isn't something like a "aaaahhhh, push it harder!, hrrrhhhhhhhh...., boom, done" It's pretty serious change, especially for camera system.
I think the biggest problem would be that a lot of people would then complain that it didn't have an ancient analogue AV video output and they must have an analogue output so that they can use it as a reversing camera!

Clearly you don't need a 4K hdmi output for use in the car, not many cars have 72" screens so that you can see the detail!

If you want to view the 4K in your house, you can plug the A129 Pro into your TV via USB, take the card out and put that in your TV with a USB card reader, connect to the camera using wifi and chromecast to your 4K TV from phone or tablet, plug the camera or memory card into your computer and play the video on your 4K monitor, or more likely plug your 4K TV into your computer's HDMI since not many people have 4K monitors. Probably a few more options too, HDMI on the camera wouldn't be my first choice, the HDMI on the mini 0806 from several years ago didn't get used much, everyone wanted analogue AV!

What would be useful is a zoom feature on the Viofo App so that we can see full 4K detail on our tablet/phone while on the road.

Last edited:
+1 to that,also the connection between camera and GPS support will get loose over time if you take it home to watch videos,and the camera HDMI port will get loose connecting/disconnecting so many times to the Tv HDMI cable..I have my PC connected to a 4K 55" TV via HDMI cable and this is the best option for me.

Last edited:
+1 to that,also the connection between camera and GPS support will get loose over time if you take it home to watch videos,and the camera HDMI port will get loose connecting/disconnecting so many times to the Tv HDMI cable..I have my PC connected to a 4K 55" TV via HDMI cable and this is the best option for me.

Agreed. Removing SD card or copying file to one's phone via the wifi are more idea. Removing and connecting cables constantly will end up breaking the port.

I think the biggest problem would be that a lot of people would then complain that it didn't have an ancient analogue AV video output and they must have an analogue output so that they can use it as a reversing camera!

Clearly you don't need a 4K hdmi output for use in the car, not many cars have 72" screens so that you can see the detail!

If you want to view the 4K in your house, you can plug the A129 Pro into your TV via USB, take the card out and put that in your TV with a USB card reader, connect to the camera using wifi and chromecast to your 4K TV from phone or tablet, plug the camera or memory card into your computer and play the video on your 4K monitor, or more likely plug your 4K TV into your computer's HDMI since not many people have 4K monitors. Probably a few more options too, HDMI on the camera wouldn't be my first choice, the HDMI on the mini 0806 from several years ago didn't get used much, everyone wanted analogue AV!

What would be useful is a zoom feature on the Viofo App so that we can see full 4K detail on our tablet/phone while on the road.

Really never considered using Dash Cam as backup camera? I mean it'd work but it wouldn't go into "auto reverse". Merely, you'd just have the rear camera displayed onto a screen at all times. And of course, you'd be missing the guide lines... So not sure how effective it'd be. Great Dash Cam. Poor mans backup cam.

Really never considered using Dash Cam as backup camera? I mean it'd work but it wouldn't go into "auto reverse". Merely, you'd just have the rear camera displayed onto a screen at all times. And of course, you'd be missing the guide lines... So not sure how effective it'd be. Great Dash Cam. Poor mans backup cam.
Rear cameras are not ideal reversing cameras, but I'd say they can be better than no camera at all. If you have a permanent AV input to your head unit that you can switch to when required, it could assist drivers especially if they have no rear view mirror such as in a van, truck etc.

As long as I cannot see the rear bumper, I wouldn't trust it as a reversing camera. Better install a dedicated one.

As long as I cannot see the rear bumper, I wouldn't trust it as a reversing camera. Better install a dedicated one.
My rear camera can see the lower edge of the rear window, which on a hatch door, is only a 3-4 inches from the rear bumper. I don't have the equipment necessary to use it as a reversing camera and don't plan to use it this way since I can turn my head and look out of the window with my own eyes. However, if this was in the rear window of an RV or campervan, it might be better than no camera at all.

y4mKNM8JFZmwgvTUnPA71X0cQRCtM7fU-otmzCPBHDXp-3eFMU33zZGZ3KVPRQTS4ddlTi-82MLy76kmbZvRfNHfTr3rxCBv25zv4PZIj3OOcK1_kAKFAfuplw476lq9wcyi9VY91uiHWeIu5CYdiZpVEDoFYvSqn8ukcWvz57XBJp1nk7FSqhZR15m4EpgBZloVEwUlfUkH_WfBAsi1ATsGw

I don't see the value/need in having HDMI, either. If I want to view footage, I (power it down first) pop the card out and leave everything in the car. (swap it out with another spare) The card goes into an adapter and into the usb port or memory card slot on the PC inside.

How many people actually want the analogue AV output?

I know people complain if it is not there, but I suspect that they are just a few people who once they have it working will rarely ever use it...

A wifi (Android) monitor would make more sense these days if you do actually want to watch live video.

we don't have it and have had maybe 2 or 3 people ask about it in the last 2 years
Worth putting it out there.
Seems I'm voted down by the replies.
Great to see so many with an opinion.

I'll wait for the 8K before I suggest it again

1800+1800=3600 mouse clicks..Just wanted to be sure this time before buying :LOL::ROFLMAO: Seems @viofo is on the good way with this chipset.Good job!
Just checked mine again over 18000 frames.
Front: 0 duplicated frames.
Rear: 0 duplicated frames.

I was using H264 this time instead of H265. Maybe that is a reason to stick to H264, along with my computer being able to play it smoothly.

Back