Mobius Maxi Support Thread

So having purchased a Maxi, to upgrade from my 2 x Mobius V3.

Been having a play around with various settings on the desktop program. However for the life of me can't be the Maxi to auto record when connected to external USB (aka hardwired kit in the car) when I turn the ignition on, the Mobius will power up, bleeps, then will stay in stand-by mode (solid yellow LED).

I've read somewhere that Auto WiFi may impact auto record if WiFi is on? I've attempted numerous scenarios but without any luck (yet).

I'm almost certain something has gone amiss somewhere?

Been searching high and low on the threads, but getting mixed answers, etc.

Is anyone able to point me in the correct direction please?

Attachments

• IMG_20190821_171306.jpg
    IMG_20190821_171306.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Are they done developing the Maxi now or is it still ongoing? I'm still hesitating in buying one or not, for dash cam use that is. I'm actually pretty happy with the mini on capacitors, only drawback there is the night performance.... :confused:

So having purchased a Maxi, to upgrade from my 2 x Mobius V3.

Been having a play around with various settings on the desktop program. However for the life of me can't be the Maxi to auto record when connected to external USB (aka hardwired kit in the car) when I turn the ignition on, the Mobius will power up, bleeps, then will stay in stand-by mode (solid yellow LED).

I've read somewhere that Auto WiFi may impact auto record if WiFi is on? I've attempted numerous scenarios but without any luck (yet).

I'm almost certain something has gone amiss somewhere?

Been searching high and low on the threads, but getting mixed answers, etc.

Is anyone able to point me in the correct direction please?
Does it auto-record if you plug it into a powerbank or wall charger? If so, it might be your hardwire kit that's causing the problem rather than the camera settings.

These are the basic and miscellaneous settings I use for a Maxi as a dashcam:
1566476388219.png

1566476416471.png

Are they done developing the Maxi now or is it still ongoing? I'm still hesitating in buying one or not, for dash cam use that is. I'm actually pretty happy with the mini on capacitors, only drawback there is the night performance.... :confused:
Development is ongoing, looking at low light performance and expanding the range of settings options

Does it auto-record if you plug it into a powerbank or wall charger? If so, it might be your hardwire kit that's causing the problem rather than the camera settings.

These are the basic and miscellaneous settings I use for a Maxi as a dashcam:

Thanks @TonyM forn the reply/screenshots - really helpful.

I will double check this when I get home. I wouldn't have thought it would be the hardwire kit, as mentioned - the MAXI will turn on when I turn ignition on, but goes into standby mode (rather that auto record). I will also however try to powerbank/wall USB socket. Thankfully installed some of the USB wall socket last weekend next to the computer, ideal! :cool:

Thanks @TonyM forn the reply/screenshots - really helpful.

I will double check this when I get home. I wouldn't have thought it would be the hardwire kit, as mentioned - the MAXI will turn on when I turn ignition on, but goes into standby mode (rather that auto record). I will also however try to powerbank/wall USB socket. Thankfully installed some of the USB wall socket last weekend next to the computer, ideal! :cool:

Those screenshots you posted seemed to have done the trick.

Managed to sell off my 2 x Mobius V3 last night, and removed them from the car today. Been sat configuring the MAXI via the App on the phone, which seems to work OK. Just mounted the MAXI's into the car, turned ignition on and "bleep, bleep, bleep" and success - Auto records seems to be working.

Thanks again.

I set the audio recording volume to High and I can hear hissing, but when I speak in front of the camera, my mouth is moving but I don't hear anything that I say.

I set the audio recording volume to High and I can hear hissing, but when I speak in front of the camera, my mouth is moving but I don't hear anything that I say.
Do you have the external microphone enabled? This should be disabled (and therefore use the internal microphone) unless you have attached a third party external microphone to the camera.

Is there a table showing the breakdown in power consumption in different modes (4K, 2.7K, 1080p60, 1080p30, etc), with different features enabled like microphone, G-sensor, WiFi, etc.
Thinking of putting the following cameras in my Tesla Model 3:
2 cameras with zoom lenses on the left and right sides of windshield
1 ultra wide in the center
2 ~90 degree on the left and right rear
2 ~90 degree on the left and right sides
=7 cameras, in addition to Tesla's 3 dashcam SentryMode cameras and in addition to the future StreetGuardian's Dual Remote Channel front and rear channel dashcams. For a total of 12 cameras.

I'm starting to plan how I'd connect all the cameras, how much power they'd draw, to build a power distribution box with switches to allow some cameras to be turned off when not needed, while others would always record.
I'd connect the power distribution and converter box to connect to always on 12V power source from the HV battery, that way there aren't any issues with the 12V battery running out, it'd just drain the 75KWh battery.

Have not seen different resolutions cause any measurable difference in power consumption, G-Sensor will be very minimal as they are typically very low power anyway, wifi will be a measurable difference

I'd look at efficiency of the power supply, some are less efficient than others

Have not seen different resolutions cause any measurable difference in power consumption, G-Sensor will be very minimal as they are typically very low power anyway, wifi will be a measurable difference

I'd look at efficiency of the power supply, some are less efficient than others
I've seen 150mA for WiFi, 2.7K/4K result in much higher power draw hence substantial the heating, so it is a measurable difference. But none of this gives me actual numbers. Am I going to have to pull out my Keithley femtoAmp Source Measurement Unit to measure this? Not concerned about ~10% power supply inefficiency, that number is known and baked in.

I have have 13 cameras installed in my Pontiac Vibe:

(2) Front left and right (Mobius V1) with 16mm lens
(2) Rear center and right (Mobius V1) with 25mm lens
(1) Right side (Mini 0801) wide angle lens
These 5 cameras are powered by the cars 12vdc output though 12v to 5vdc converters. The output is rated at 120 watts max.

(2) Front left and right (Mobius Maxie and Mobius V2) with 6mm lens
(1) Front center (Mobius V1) with 25mm lens
(1) Left side (Mobius V1) with 6mm lens
(1) Right side (Mobius V1) with 4mm lens
These 5 cameras are powered by a combination of 3 or 4 10kmAh or 13kmAh USB battery packs mounted on the sun visors.

(1) Left side (Shadow Tec GT680W) wide angle, powered by the cars 120vac output though a USB wall converter.

(1) Rear left (Mobius V1) with 16mm lens
(1) Rear center (Mobius Maxie) wide angle lens
These 2 cameras are powered by a Cobra Jumpack XL H20 stored in the cars center console.

This configuration is something that has evolved over the past 15 or so years, starting with a single Sony VHS-C camcorder mounted on the passenger seat headrest. (did not work very well).
I have found that 5 cameras seem to be the maximum that I can hook up to the cars 12vdc output. I use USB toggle switch cables with most of the battery packs.

I have have 13 cameras installed in my Pontiac Vibe:

(2) Front left and right (Mobius V1) with 16mm lens
(2) Rear center and right (Mobius V1) with 25mm lens
(1) Right side (Mini 0801) wide angle lens
These 5 cameras are powered by the cars 12vdc output though 12v to 5vdc converters. The output is rated at 120 watts max.

(2) Front left and right (Mobius Maxie and Mobius V2) with 6mm lens
(1) Front center (Mobius V1) with 25mm lens
(1) Left side (Mobius V1) with 6mm lens
(1) Right side (Mobius V1) with 4mm lens
These 5 cameras are powered by a combination of 3 or 4 10kmAh or 13kmAh USB battery packs mounted on the sun visors.

(1) Left side (Shadow Tec GT680W) wide angle, powered by the cars 120vac output though a USB wall converter.

(1) Rear left (Mobius V1) with 16mm lens
(1) Rear center (Mobius Maxie) wide angle lens
These 2 cameras are powered by a Cobra Jumpack XL H20 stored in the cars center console.

This configuration is something that has evolved over the past 15 or so years, starting with a single Sony VHS-C camcorder mounted on the passenger seat headrest. (did not work very well).
I have found that 5 cameras seem to be the maximum that I can hook up to the cars 12vdc output. I use USB toggle switch cables with most of the battery packs.

So there's a thread crapping all over Mobius Maxi video quality compared to V1, what's your take? I'm not very impressed from video quality 1080p30 and 2.7K30 in super fine bitrate, too much noise and the MTF doesn't appear to be very good. MTF is the ability to resolve two adjacent lines spaced closely together. Wonder what image sensor it's using for such a ****ty readnoise.

Back