Fun in Thailand

Visiting Normandy many many years ago, i dident have pennies, so i put a few of the Danish penny on some of the head stones.
That chair look slippery if you lean back in it, you will probably go flying if you wear your tailor made silk suit from Hong Kong.

BTW someone here just got their sons headstone stolen on the grave yard :rolleyes: it is in every aspect that Danish society are on the decline. :cry:

Seem like today classy = the clothe you wear and the gadget you carry, and honestly none of those are deciding factors in being classy.

That chair look slippery if you lean back in it, you will probably go flying if you wear your tailor made silk suit from Hong Kong.

I bought it primarily for the GF to use, and to displace her from where I want to sit. :) (without violence)

furn.JPG

One of the local places selling the wood furniture. The better, cheaper place isn't as elaborate, and you can smell the varnish when you pull up. I'll go back there in a few weeks and have them custom build a computer desk in the style of the dining room table I bought from them. I'm thinking 2/3 the size of this table, with a monitor type shelf I'll mostly use for my radios at this point, maybe a desktop PC/monitor later.
table.jpg

Nice to be fake wood free, for a change. :)

Last edited:
First police checkpoint in the 'pickup', but can't tell what they were checking for?

The three wheeled motorcycles kind of live in a gray area. The government wanted to get rid of the older polluting trikes commonly in use, so it's not possible to register them, get a license plate, or normal insurance. In the province I'm living in, there are two 'major' manufacturers or assemblers, and many small shops that crank out 1-2 a month. (the hard core ones use a 650cc Daihatsu mini car engine and will do freeway speeds)

To drive one you need a motorcycle license, and the government minimal liability insurance...which is like $15 a year, and only covers a modest amount of injuries to the other party. Technically you are supposed to wear a helmet, but I've only seen one driver wear one, and that was the delivery guy who brought it to our house when purchased.

With the checkpoints, you always have to be worried about bribes....and varying interpretations of the laws. I saw these guys and mentally was running through a checklist of the documents I possibly would have to show...and remembered I didn't have my passport on me. :)
(Will make a photocopy and keep it with the trike documents under the seat)

I dont think it was Thailand, but in a TV program with a Danish guy that have been sailing the seas in his ship for decades ( Nordkaperen ) they visited another Danish guy that had a factory that make the weaved furniture, but i think that was on Bail.

I got the offer to go on a cruise with the boat as a kid, but then i was far too much of a mothers boy.

Damn small boat to sail the high seas, but it have been doing just that since the mid / late 70ties

Bored today, got on my machine, went cruising looking for women.

Didn't take me long, and I found two. $7 each.

mianoi1.jpg

mianoi2.jpg

Didn't have enough money to pick them all up.....

girls.jpg

The two I bought are about a foot tall, solid concrete, hand painted down to the toe nails, and weigh 15 pounds each. Something I didn't realize until after I bought them, and imagined my pissed off GF bouncing one off of my head. . Luckily she thought they were funny, and they're sitting on the front porch. Thais love extensive 'yard art' and you can find stores with acres of concrete sheep, lions, ladies.....dragons...

My wife would have fun there, May I ask how much does something like this cost there, and the chair made from rubber trees. I remember when I was there everything had fair prices . I had some clothes made, I bought a gold chain that disappeared when I come back home. I have 4 sisters. (Lol ) They all told me they did not see it. I know it was way cheaper then Hong Kong. I had a nice girl who stayed with me all week, she took me home to visit her parents. They made a dinner and food was spicy and I had not a clue what I was eating but it was all good. Much better then C Rations..lol....But I really enjoyed my R&R in Bangkok. In my eyes it was very colorful, seen the gold Buddha, very cool place to see. I disliked Hong Kong, I felt I was back in the Bronx. Too much city like and expensive, I ran out of money in 2 days and had more wired in after I called my parents. They had access to my account, I thought it was pretty cool how fast I received the money. Thanks for sharing your videos.
I did see the price of them, very good price for them
I read through the thread and seen what you paid for on the chair, I think that was a good price, the chair is a beauty

Last edited:
The chair was around $70. One of the large 3 shelf units that could hold a medium sized TV, or microwave was $50, a larger one more....(Forget exact price and bought it as same time as a wooden love seat.)
We bought a sturdy, all wood platform bed, $200, delivered and set up..

The biggest saving is in labor costs. Hard to explain, but I see some small shop metalwork that is very cheap or reasonable, decorative fences, gates, railings, etc. I see them selling pipe bed enclosures on the side of the road for the cargo pickup trucks.....we're talking 4-5 feet about the bed rail, $90. The daily minimum wage is around $10 a day.
We had a semi-skilled 'handyman' doing some work on the rental house, he walked away because he was expecting more than $30 a day, (Because a foreigner was in the picture)

Hong Kong I used to like, but it is expensive. Not sure I'll go back after what is happening there, now, or if it will ever be the same.

Now for the scary stuff. This is the $15 Pizza Hut delivery special. Two strange tasting pizzas, 6 ok tasting wings, one container of overly spicy pasta, and some assorted bad bread products. They include packages of ketchup to put on the pizza. one of the pizzas had some sort of thousand island dressing sauce on it. (Not as bad as you think,but a shock when you want 'pizza'.)

ph.jpg

There is actually good, real pizza in the area.....but this is what Thais like.

:)

Was bored/brave today, and thought I'd remove some side panels to see where the battery was and if there was any obvious routing for dash cam wiring.

The side panels look like normal motorcycle stuff. Yes...and no. You need to remove 4 bolts for each panel, but unlike most motorcycles I've had my hands on, the bodywork tabs are not threaded, or there is not a captive nut. (Other than me)
Unscrew a bolt, the washer and nut drops to the ground unless you can reach behind the panel and hold it. (Can't do that on all.)
So, get the firrst panel off, no access to battery, OK,. It must be on other side. No easy way to get that panel back on, so put it away until later, eyeing the two bolts holding the partial seat on.
Take off other side, finally find the battery, or at least the battery box.

On the trikes the same company scratch builds the frames for, they battery is clamped down in plain sight, exposed to weather. I guess this is better.

batt1.jpg

Now lets open the Xmas package!

batt2.jpg

OK, will have to hit an electronics store tomorrow and get an inline fuse holder, and some more flex conduit, but I can see the way to hook up the hard wire kit, routing, etc. Not looking forward to taking those damn side panels off again, I am VERY glad the few tools I brought with me from the US includes a long set of hemostats!
(Can use those to hold some of the nuts on out of reach.)

@dash riposki- Can you use silicone sealer or glue to hold the nuts in place when you reassemble them? If so, oil the bolt going in so it doesn't stick and you won't need the hemos next time round ;)

Phil

I have not seen a battery like that in years.. they are all sealed here in the states

There has to be a simpler way? I thought of a dab of epoxy.
My current guess is the assembly people and the repair shop put the trike up on a ramp or lift of some sort, and put the last two bolts at the bottom, in, from underneath. I think if I contrive some sort of ramp or jack for the front wheel and elevate it a foot or so I have enough room to get under the bike. I stupidly started this around noon in the carport yesterday when it was probably 98F, which probably didn't add to my state of mind. :)
There is no reason for me to do other than specialty or emergency work on this thing, due to them probably being much better at it, and cheap, but I want a working dashcam on the thing. (The contour roam sucks at night)

Oh, was half asleep the other day, and thought I saw an asian lady walk through the living room with a pair of scissors and a large roll of 3M VHB, just like I had in one of my suitcases.
It was the large roll of 3m VHB I had in my suitcase, and she already had a 15 inch section she was trying to use as normal tape.

I've been avoiding going to one of the big hardware stores because they are so annoying. They are comparable to Lowes or Home Depot, and prices are OK to good, but they are overstaffed with young people with nothing to do, and generally don't know much. You can walk between departments and collect a conga line of store workers. They'll kind of latch onto you in groups. They must get some minor commission or are so bored, a stray foreigner is very interesting.
My dream is to circle the store one day, collect all of them, then lead them on foot into the next province.

I have not seen a battery like that in years.. they are all sealed here in the states

They leave it in the box to prove it's a new battery? :)

I guess easy enough to replace it with a more modern battery, but will let this one die, first.

You can walk between departments and collect a conga line of store workers. They'll kind of latch onto you in groups.

You can arrange to eat whatever gives you the foulest flatulence then go shopping :LOL: Or mumble to yourself making jerky movements and acting loony o_O Or growl a lot and talk with an invisible person :p

I spent many a year in my younger days keeping the masses away from me so that I didn't have to deal with them. I'm calmer now, but I still remember how to do that ;)

Phil

The things that would have those digestive system effects on me would either kill me as I ate them, or set my BVD's on fire at the first gas leak.

The other annoying thing that happens is sales people want to take a selfie with with the 6' 6" old foreign guy. Bugger off, Junior.

The things that would have those digestive system effects on me would either kill me as I ate them, or set my BVD's on fire at the first gas leak.

The other annoying thing that happens is sales people want to take a selfie with with the 6' 6" old foreign guy. Bugger off, Junior.

What's wrong with you? Don't you like Asian customer service? :sick: :). A 6' 6" Yank in a small town in Thailand is a rarity. ;). Don't think any Thai stinky food will make them move away. Could be their favourite delicacy. ;)

I did have a strange customer service experience. All of the gas stations I've been to have been full service. Pulled up to a pump, it's 0600. Noticed a lady sitting in the booth. Waited. Waited. Waited. Finally a second lady who was sweeping the parking lot motioned me to move to a different pump. took my 500 baht, handed it to the lady in the booth, went back to sweeping.

It was a self service gas station.

(Actually only self service at night, in daytime the center pumps are self serve, the outer islands are full, with attendants.)

I did have a strange customer service experience. All of the gas stations I've been to have been full service. Pulled up to a pump, it's 0600. Noticed a lady sitting in the booth. Waited. Waited. Waited. Finally a second lady who was sweeping the parking lot motioned me to move to a different pump. took my 500 baht, handed it to the lady in the booth, went back to sweeping.

It was a self service gas station.

(Actually only self service at night, in daytime the center pumps are self serve, the outer islands are full, with attendants.)

You'll just have to learn to read "Thai". I couldn't read but able to converse fluently before I migrated to Canada. Now I've lost most of it.
My experience was in Hatyai, southern Thailand, a long time ago. I walked into a store and was looking at Tee shirts. Was looking around and one caught my eye. I touched it and suddenly 3 salesgirls each holding different colors of the same Tee shirt for me to choose. After being in Canada for so long was just not used to such service. :oops:

Back