Viofo A129 Pro Dual Dashcam - 4K Front + 1080 Rear

OK, understood. I just want to inform the A129 PRO charger is not same as A129, so maybe there is power issue sometimes.

Related Question: Is the existing VIOFO hardwire kit sufficient for the A129 PRO, or do I need to replace it with a stronger kit?

Thanks

Related Question: Is the existing VIOFO hardwire kit sufficient for the A129 PRO, or do I need to replace it with a stronger kit?

Thanks
It will work, although there is a possibility of a high pitched whistle on the audio.

Generated within the camera and recorded by the microphone, but yes, that is the source.
Did you try cancelling the noise with a ferrite ring or clamp?
Might work - at least worth a try.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 5 mit Tapatalk

Thank you!

@Jeremy Wong

Hvec 265 File size for 2 minutes is 743Mb (Thumbnail 1)

H264 File size for 2 minutes is 855MB (Thumbnail 2)

Interesting to note the exposures are set the same, just the cams are 4 inches apart, yet the one one on the right looks much brighter than the one on the left...

Attachments

• Right_Info_743Mb.jpg
    Right_Info_743Mb.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Left_Info_855Mb.jpg
    Left_Info_855Mb.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 48
Did you try cancelling the noise with a ferrite ring or clamp?
Might work - at least worth a try.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 5 mit Tapatalk
The HK3 has a ferrite ring as standard, and anyway, the issue is audio noise, not electrical noise.
Should be OK with the updated HK3.

Continuing to test out the A129 Pro, and I've been very impressed. A few thoughts and some sample footage:
  • Testing scenario has been in 90F - 100F temperatures. Camera is quite warm to the touch while filming, but that is to be expected with a 4K camera. I'm not sure what the windshield temperature is while driving, but my air conditioner has not been working that well, so it is a little warmer. No reports of the dash cam turning off due to overheating.
  • Some reflection of the dash - is this something that a CPL filter can help with or is it just the nature of driving in sunny conditions? Or camera placement?
  • For the first video, I was wanting to see how the camera would do with the changes in light with the overpasses. I think the camera does a great job of adjusting from direct sunlight, to shade as I go under the overpass, and back to direct sunlight.
  • The rear footage video is better than some previous footage I captured - I made no adjustments to the exposure levels
  • Any suggestions on the rear camera placement? I am trying to avoid the heat lines on the window, but it might be inevitable.
  • Second video shows some license plates - all very clear - and a person who was desperate to take their exit despite cutting me off... :rolleyes:
  • While the quality of the camera should be Viofo's top priority (and a customer's top requirement when purchasing a dash camera), I will point out that I have been very dissatisfied with the Viofo mobile app. I am currently running the app on an iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 12.4.1). The app frequently crashes and the wifi feature leaves a lot to be desired. Often times the app will not connect to the camera, but the camera thinks it is connected to the app so I get the "You are connected via wifi so you can only control the camera through the app" message on the dash camera. This requires me to cut off power to the dash camera and attempt the wifi connection again. Whenever I am able to connect, the file viewer is glitchy - flashing the video preview (often not even the correct preview for the video). I have provided a screen recording. Again, dash camera quality should be top priority, but I hope Viofo puts some attention to improving the mobile app. While it is best to view footage via pulling the sd card, it would be nice to easily transfer a file to my phone for immediate viewing.

Nice clouds :)

Some reflection of the dash - is this something that a CPL filter can help with or is it just the nature of driving in sunny conditions?
CPL would remove the reflections from the centre of the image, would leave some around the edges.
You don't have much reflection in the centre so probably only worthwhile if want to make movies with the video.
Any suggestions on the rear camera placement?
You've got it about right, if you don't have it between the lines and within reach of the wiper then you won't see much in damp winter weather, depending on what your winters are like. Slightly higher so that the lower line doesn't pass across the license plates would be perfect.

Can't comment on IOS, I use Android and the app seems to work fine on that.

I have 2 A129 Pro 4K cameras facing forward, at the left side of the mirror, at the centre (up against the mirror) and an A119 Version 3 at the right side of the mirror.

Camera located with a central postioning I'm sure is always likely to best due to being as near as possible to the middle of the windscreen giving the most full-on forward view. Cameras located left or right of centre I suspect will lose a tiny bit of sharpness (do you agree or am I being picky?)...

So here are 3 videos:

1) A119 V3 Right.
2) A129 Pro Left
3) A129 Pro Centre

All three show the same (note the lorry parked on double yellows and too close to a junction, and to the traffic lights) - Iwas fortunate that I could see him moving in his wing mirror cos I didn't know he was setting off (his hazards were on as I passed him, and I needed to straight on at this junction).

But that's by the by.

You can a subtle difference in the 4K vids where I think the windscreen affects the vision ever so slightly and you can see a 2K vid. I have added 3 screenshots, one from each camera, and also a crop of the reg plate from each.

Notice too, that the GPS on the A119 V3 reports 5mph on the screenshot, even though I wasn't actually moving...

V3
SSV-X3.png

SSV130-Ti.png

Pro Left
SSL-X3.png

SSL130-Ti.png

Pro Centre
SSC-X3.png

SSC130-Ti.png

A119 V3

A129 Pro Left

A129 Pro Centre

Paul..

Reactions: gse
Your left Pro is angled down and has more dash and less sky compared to the centre Pro, so the exposures are not the same. The left camera seems a touch over-exposed.

The V3 uses a faster shutter, making it easier to read the white van's number plate (R29 GED).

Your left Pro is angled down

Must have got nudged when I was cleaning the inside of the windscreen the other day...

Very impressive image quality. I wish I had one for testing also :sneaky:

Notice too, that the GPS on the A119 V3 reports 5mph on the screenshot, even though I wasn't actually moving...
A129 GPS is definitely better than the A119 V3, especially when close to other equipment. I also notice a slow response from the A119 when accelerating and braking. I guess it's not an issue if you only have one dashcam though.

Cameras located left or right of centre I suspect will lose a tiny bit of sharpness (do you agree or am I being picky?)...
Don't think it makes much difference. Being closer to a plate does reduce the amount of motion blur, but it needs to be a long way left or right to make a noticeable difference.

What is the length for the rear view camera cable? I have a mid sized SUV and need to plan in advance to figure out the best rout according to the cord size before I get my camera. do you know if viofo offers other sizes for the longest SUVs? if not, what is the solution in those scenarios?

What is the length for the rear view camera cable? I have a mid sized SUV and need to plan in advance to figure out the best rout according to the cord size before I get my camera. do you know if viofo offers other sizes for the longest SUVs? if not, what is the solution in those scenarios?
Standard is 6 meters. An 8 meter is available separately if needed. This is assuming the Pro uses the same cables as the regular A129DUO.

Back