Viofo A129 Pro Dual Dashcam - 4K Front + 1080 Rear

Standard is 6 meters. An 8 meter is available separately if needed. This is assuming the Pro uses the same cables as the regular A129DUO.
thanks for the info. I will take some measurements from point to point in my SUV to see if the standard one is sufficient.

thanks for the info. I will take some measurements from point to point in my SUV to see if the standard one is sufficient.
Routing the cable up along the roof line will be the shortest route. The 6 meter cable should be fine if routed this way, unless you are talking about an Excursion or something long like that. I had plenty left over in my wifes 2019 Santa Fe.

Reactions: EGS
Routing the cable up along the roof line will be the shortest route. The 6 meter cable should be fine if routed this way, unless you are talking about an Excursion or something long like that. I had plenty left over in my wifes 2019 Santa Fe.
Yes, I made my measurements and my conclusion is the same as yours. Installing it along the roof line is the easiest and even after that I will still have plenty of wire left. My vehicle is a GMC Terrain. I just need to be very careful around the side airbags that are near the roof as there are two in either side.

Yes, I made my measurements and my conclusion is the same as yours. Installing it along the roof line is the easiest and even after that I will still have plenty of wire left. My vehicle is a GMC Terrain. I just need to be very careful around the side airbags that are near the roof as there are two in either side.
Pulling away the rubber gaskets around the door frames should reveal a cavity behind the air bags to route the cable.

In single channel mode, the A129 Pro can record 1080p at 120fps.

Even with 120 individual frames per second, you can still get motion blur at low speed on a sunny day under the trees:

y4mHmSgK-SZhs5jFeRd_57BVzUQIrBQwNrx-KE-W5ZpSjcALY44cj52FhdUYUa8PujHzQyfY_FeXzZMM6LoZvk9DuJSp8AYUQojQCWnwyFOILRMTsOFqWVjLHrElie85cAK3R8JFCmQTkBUG61y5A3zMmaKagGHP97eAweVvifiKECgUK_hz_Wp0fM_9bhyf1C8EfG4wUlFcLpzrl5Hx6NCqA

1080p120 - CPL on - Maximum bitrate 56Mbps
@nutsey

If you leave the Pro in 1080p120 mode when parked, you get 1080p120 low bitrate at 6.5Mbps :)

Last edited:
In single channel mode, the A129 Pro can record 1080p at 120fps. Even with 120 individual frames per second, you can still get motion blur at low speed on a sunny day under the trees:

y4mHmSgK-SZhs5jFeRd_57BVzUQIrBQwNrx-KE-W5ZpSjcALY44cj52FhdUYUa8PujHzQyfY_FeXzZMM6LoZvk9DuJSp8AYUQojQCWnwyFOILRMTsOFqWVjLHrElie85cAK3R8JFCmQTkBUG61y5A3zMmaKagGHP97eAweVvifiKECgUK_hz_Wp0fM_9bhyf1C8EfG4wUlFcLpzrl5Hx6NCqA

Original 1 minute file - 408MB : https://mega.nz/#!SlBm1arT!Hiw-qG4ZHlgTitRdLFREXL3TRnEz1xtuXU76P7jCkbw
@nutsey

If you leave the Pro in 1080p120 mode when parked, you get 1080p120 low bitrate at 6.5Mbps :)
Maybe the shutter couldn't reach the 120fps through the light conditions. The day might have been sunny but the screenshot above is in the shade + the CPL reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor, too.

The Sensor can do slightly more than 120fps in 10bit (even more in lower res.).
In 12 bit it can only do 65fps. Not sure which bit length the cam records. But I suspect if it gives the option for 120fps it will be the 10bit bit-length and it relates to the amount of light if the shutter cannot max out the 120fps.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 5 mit Tapatalk

Even with 120 individual frames per second, you can still get motion blur at low speed on a sunny day under the trees:
Your GPS says 29 MPH, presumably the other car was going a similar speed since it looks like a 30 MPH speed limit, so a closing speed of 29 x 2 = 58 MPH = 26 meters/second. 26 m/s / 120 fps = 217 mm/frame.

So if the exposure time actually took the full frame interval then there would be 217 mm of blur on his number plate and it is not surprising that it is unreadable. It appears to be rather less than that so the exposure was rather faster than 1/120th second.

Exposure time, and thus motion blur, has almost nothing to do with frame rate.
120 fps is great for making slow motion movies, but otherwise is probably not much use, especially as my computer struggles to play it smoothly!

Maybe the shutter couldn't reach the 120fps through the light conditions. The day might have been sunny but the screenshot above is in the shade + the CPL reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor, too.
Each frame is individual - I did not notice any duplicate frames

Your GPS says 29 MPH, presumably the other car was going a similar speed since it looks like a 30 MPH speed limit, so a closing speed of 29 x 2 = 58 MPH = 26 meters/second. 26 m/s / 120 fps = 217 mm/frame.

So if the exposure time actually took the full frame interval then there would be 217 mm of blur on his number plate and it is not surprising that it is unreadable. It appears to be rather less than that so the exposure was rather faster than 1/120th second.

Exposure time, and thus motion blur, has almost nothing to do with frame rate.
120 fps is great for making slow motion movies, but otherwise is probably not much use, especially as my computer struggles to play it smoothly!
I agree - I would never use this camera in 120fps mode myself. I was responding to a request by @nutsey for some 120fps raw video.

I was also demonstrating that setting a camera to 120fps is not enough to stop the motion blur we often see in 1080p30 cameras. This is not an issue specific to the A129 Pro.

Over the weekend I will try recording 1080p120 in low light and at night to see whether the A129 Pro drops lots of frames to maintain exposure (with CPL removed), or sticks to 120fps.

Over the weekend I will try recording 1080p120 in low light and at night to see whether the A129 Pro drops lots of frames to maintain exposure (with CPL removed), or sticks to 120fps.
Thanks! You can also try using -0.3 or -0.7 EV exposure correction for these tests.

Well, that was a bit close! FHD rear camera in low bitrate parking mode, with CPL. Not sure why someone would want Roman numerals on their number plate??

In single channel mode, the A129 Pro can record 1080p at 120fps.

Original 1 minute file - 408MB : https://mega.nz/#!SlBm1arT!Hiw-qG4ZHlgTitRdLFREXL3TRnEz1xtuXU76P7jCkbw
@nutsey

Not like action camera, most of the resolution like 4K, 2K, 1080P are all important.
For 4K dashcam, IQ tuning is mainly focused on 4K and 2K.

I have added the latest firmware and here are a couple of clips (front & rear) at 4k, and 1080p respectively (no editing).

I have noticed that having set the clock to UK time, on the files it is an hour behind!

I'm considering lowering the rear cam a little more to show less sky, which will improve the shadows a bit more.

Then a bit of footage of the end of an incident (hopefully nothing serious)...

Latest firmware in low light, video zooms in to central 1080 area at 5 seconds, so nice to be able to zoom in and still have good detail!

I was close to the university so being careful and keeping plenty of space in front of me, so can't see what happens without zooming in. I assume a new student recently arrived for the new university year! Presumably there was contact or the silver car wouldn't have stopped, it did have it's left mirror out before and folded in after, I guess they decided that they didn't want to get involved in an insurance dispute for a minor scratch.

For people who don't have HDR monitors, it is interesting to see how much detail there is in the shadows when the gamma is turned up in a video editor, detail that tends to get lost with lower bitrate cameras:

Last edited:
Hi guys, has anybody tried a 512GB Micro SD Card with this dashcam - if so, does it work?

I'll just post on Nigel's thread for now. I'm happy to report that I just drove around 1500miles/24hours straight without any hiccups with the camera. Only had about two 45min breaks in those 24 hours of straight recording. No apparent issues with file loss or overheating.

I just drove around 1500miles/24hours straight without any hiccups with the camera. Only had about two 45min breaks in those 24 hours of straight recording.
How are you after driving 1500 miles straight?!

Back