Thinkware U1000 4k / 2k Camera Reminder

That's even stranger. For me Windows Media Player just gives me a screen with a big music note showing but VLC plays the files fine (but to do either i have to use a 10" Windows Tablet! My main work PC is so rubbish)

no hardware issues here, latest version of VLC but it doesn't play the files correctly, codecs should be an issue as WMP handles the files no problem, odd one

After looking at the videos Maddog1974 posted I will be upgrading from the F800 pro to the U1000. I am hoping the connections for the U1000 (power and rear camera) are the same so no need to pay an installer for the switch. Is anyone able to confirm the cables are the same?

After looking at the videos Maddog1974 posted I will be upgrading from the F800 pro to the U1000. I am hoping the connections for the U1000 (power and rear camera) are the same so no need to pay an installer for the switch. Is anyone able to confirm the cables are the same?

Don't know if it helps you, but the power plug is a dc plug with 4mm diameter, rear cam cable looks like a micro USB cable to me.

Don't know if it helps you, but the power plug is a dc plug with 4mm diameter, rear cam cable looks like a micro USB cable to me.
Installation is likely to be £100+ so if I can just swap the bracket and cameras then I can do it myself.

That's even stranger. For me Windows Media Player just gives me a screen with a big music note showing but VLC plays the files fine (but to do either i have to use a 10" Windows Tablet! My main work PC is so rubbish)
You need the h265 codecs packs to get things working with Windows Media Player as that's what your samples are - not sure if the U1000 supports h264 output as it's currently more compatible across platforms.

I'm using a Google Chromebook i7 and it's builtin media player won't entertain h265 files, even Android VLC chokes so I'm guessing it's not using full hardware decoding.

It is all a sign that h265 is going to frustrate and confuse non-technical users though who will immediately think there is a fault when in reality they just need to do a bit of work or need a higher spec computer. Things have to change at some point though otherwise we'll be stuck in the past with Real Player and 144p :D

It is all a sign that h265 is going to frustrate and confuse non-technical users :D

This is exactly why I advocate for DCT members NOT to use H.265 encoding at this point in time. It is important to remember that dash cam video is evidence that will need to be handed off to insurance adjusters, attorneys, law enforcement personnel, prosecutors, court room officials, etc. A very large percentage of these people are "non-technical" users, many of whom won't even know what the term H.265 means, much less know what procedures are necessary in order to view the video.
Many of these folks people will only know that they can't get your files to play and they will simply move on to their next case. It is vital for dash cam users to hand off files that are as idiot proof and as easy to view as possible if you want your matter to get proper attention once these files are out of your hands.

Last edited:
Even as a reasonably technical person with fairly modern computer hardware that supports h265, I still can't play the U1000 video files at much more than about 5fps

I can play the files no problem, i7-8700K, 32GB RAM and 6GB RTX-2060 and 4K monitor though, don't think my laptop would do so well

Obviously, it will work for some people and not work for others. That's the point here.
yeah I would think that any 4k camera is for an enthusiast market at this stage, there's some irony to that though when some of the 4k cameras don't deliver particularly great results that is unlikely to please an enthusiast anyway

I got that not playing issue with VLC too on the parking files, just a static picture while the bar do move, the regular files play just fine in VLC.
The 2 players in windows 10 play the parking files just fine.

Threadripper 1920X - 32 GB ram - 8GB 5700 XT - but just on a 1080 monitor.

And yes i also think we will hear some heartache in here from some adopters of 4K,,,,, just like we also get from people with 1080p cameras picking up on the blocking that will occur in high information areas.
And i am sure that the " not too large" bitrate will also be a thing for the 4K cameras.

I got a response from 2 different retailers. One indicated that the power cable is the same but the reverse camera connection is different. Another one said everything is compatible.

yeah I would think that any 4k camera is for an enthusiast market at this stage, there's some irony to that though when some of the 4k cameras don't deliver particularly great results that is unlikely to please an enthusiast anyway
The Viofo A129 Pro records 4K in H264 that plays normally on my computer in all players I've tried, and even on my Android tablet. I don't see it as an enthusiast's camera, just a higher resolution version of the A129 Duo FHD camera. Only issue is that I need to play it on a player with zoom capability before I can see the full detail.

Now it does have the option of switching to H265, which in some ways is a good option because it records at a lower bitrate so can record for longer, but with the disadvantage that my PC struggles to play it smoothly unless I first convert it into H264. It is a single button press so easy to switch, so I have been using it for long journeys and H264 for short journeys. I think H265 is an enthusiasts option, which could have been left off the camera because it doesn't appear to give any advantage, other than that it gives me a single button switch to lower bitrate for longer journeys, but that could have been done by making the button switch to a lower bitrate H264 mode!

Can the U1000 record in H264?

If it has H264 as the default, and H265 only by choice, I think that's OK.

The sample U1000 videos are in HEVC / h265 according to the VLC player I tried? Can't check them at the moment to confirm

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The power is 100% the same. The rear camera cable will fit if you have a bit of slack in the cable as the connections are the other side of the U1000 camera and the F800/Q800 rear cable has the micro usb connector 180 degrees at the wrong angle so providing you have some slack in the cable you should be able to plug it in but it will come downwards and then have to loop back up to the roof lining. It will look something like this:
(FYI F770 rear cable is perfect for the U1000!!)
U1000.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
The sample U1000 videos are in HEVC / h265 according to the VLC player I tried? Can't check them at the moment to confirm

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Strange, the user manual doesn't mention H265, says in the specifications:

"Video UHD (3840 x 2160) / H.264 / file extension: MP4, Frame rate Maximum 30 fps Applies equally to the front / rear recording, Audio HE-AAC"

Yet the file is 24 Mb/s HEVC with 48 Kb/s AAC LC Audio, and includes a 5.3 Kb/s text stream that can show up in the video player as sub titles and contains GPS and other data.

You're correct Nigel, i will get this confirmed with Thinkware Korea...

Back